Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Release Notes for 1.0.1.5

mfeingolmfeingol Director of EngineeringPosts: 5,034Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
1.0.1.5
NEW: support Direct Play for non-streaming video files (AVI, unoptimized MP4)
NEW: support Direct Play for Apple Movie Trailers
NEW: skip/seek/resume now works much, much better with Direct Play content
NEW: support for PlayTo contract (works great with WMP, not so great with Xbox 360)
NEW: support Windows Media Center remote controls
NEW: support TV show theme music
NEW: preferences are now broken into nice sub-sections
NEW: preference for online video resolution and quality
NEW: preference for subtitle size
NEW: preference for audio boost
NEW: preference to Direct Play or transcode when selected subtitles are incompatible
NEW: ability to enqueue channel videos
NEW: ability to mark library videos watched or unwatched
NEW: ability to rate library videos
NEW: ability to delete library videos
NEW: support auto-paging for channels that page
NEW: F5 refreshes all pages, F12 returns to main page

FIX: only pull content from active server (makes main page a bit more deterministic)
FIX: iTunes music will now Direct Play instead of transcoding
FIX: detect and warn about obsolete channel media
FIX: open the appbar automatically when a video ends
FIX: changing search category now scrolls results back to beginning
FIX: search results now show source server
FIX: search items now correctly display images when connected to inactive server
FIX: main page now displays a sad face when no content is available

Known Issues in 1.0.1.5
[SLSS] Transcoding may take a few seconds to start up. [Appears to be a Microsoft Media Foundation issue.]
[MPEG2-TS]: Resuming video can be unreliable, especially when remuxing. [Appears to be a Microsoft Media Foundation issue.]
[MPEG2-TS]: Seeking is currently not supported. This is temporarily disabled until issues with resume reliability are understood and resolved.

Comments

  • joshdinsdalejoshdinsdale Posts: 290Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This update is really doing the trick for me :D

    Thanks a lot guys, great work as usual!
  • John GaltJohn Galt Posts: 299Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    This update is really doing the trick for me :D

    Thanks a lot guys, great work as usual!


    Whoohoo!!! Direct play is working!!!! Nice work!

    and MPEGTS transcodes mkvs without using huge resources on the server properly!!

    It's still transcoding m2ts files that have DTS-Master, DTS or TrueHD in them instead of instead of direct playing them with the AC-3 audio stream that is also in the file... (does fix the audio selection issue, but these are pausing periodically as if the transcoder can't keep up with 26 gb 1080p 2 hour movie with Truehd transcoding or something)

    *wish list* Would love to be able to use either the keyboard or remote with t9 like Windows Media Center does it and type to find by name in a long list... would be awesome if I could just start typing "Nat..." and it would bring me to National Treasure. (again, either t9 or keyboard)

    REally really really really really excited! I can finally ditch all desktop apps on my HTPC and just use native Windows 8 apps! (now if Amazon Instant Video would release their own Windows 8 native client, life would be perfect! (I know, there is a channel but...)
  • mfeingolmfeingol Director of Engineering Posts: 5,034Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    John Galt:

    Yes, DTS is still unsupported for DP. We'll look into testing some of that next release. I don't have a lot of samples, though - if you could post one of each for me to test out, that would be awesome.

    For search, we integrated with the standard Windows 8 interface, which does seem to require pressing 'enter'. You can, however, type in the main page and it'll open the search charm for you.
  • JenkTJ27JenkTJ27 Posts: 40Members
    Thank you the enhancements. My xvid encoded videos now play without transcoding. However, my Mpeg2 video still are transcoding, but not at a 100% cpu utilization anymore. More like 70-80%. Not that I have a need to, I tested that I can stream up to 3 devices with various file formats with no problems (1 native PMC on Windows 7, 1 Plex Web on an iPad and 1 Windows 8 Plex App).

    mfeingol wrote:

    1.0.1.5
    NEW: support Direct Play for non-streaming video files (AVI, unoptimized MP4)
    NEW: support Direct Play for Apple Movie Trailers
    NEW: skip/seek/resume now works much, much better with Direct Play content
    NEW: support for PlayTo contract (works great with WMP, not so great with Xbox 360)
    NEW: support Windows Media Center remote controls
    NEW: support TV show theme music
    NEW: preferences are now broken into nice sub-sections
    NEW: preference for online video resolution and quality
    NEW: preference for subtitle size
    NEW: preference for audio boost
    NEW: preference to Direct Play or transcode when selected subtitles are incompatible
    NEW: ability to enqueue channel videos
    NEW: ability to mark library videos watched or unwatched
    NEW: ability to rate library videos
    NEW: ability to delete library videos
    NEW: support auto-paging for channels that page
    NEW: F5 refreshes all pages, F12 returns to main page

    FIX: only pull content from active server (makes main page a bit more deterministic)
    FIX: iTunes music will now Direct Play instead of transcoding
    FIX: detect and warn about obsolete channel media
    FIX: open the appbar automatically when a video ends
    FIX: changing search category now scrolls results back to beginning
    FIX: search results now show source server
    FIX: search items now correctly display images when connected to inactive server
    FIX: main page now displays a sad face when no content is available

    Known Issues in 1.0.1.5
    [SLSS] Transcoding may take a few seconds to start up. [Appears to be a Microsoft Media Foundation issue.]
    [MPEG2-TS]: Resuming video can be unreliable, especially when remuxing. [Appears to be a Microsoft Media Foundation issue.]
    [MPEG2-TS]: Seeking is currently not supported. This is temporarily disabled until issues with resume reliability are understood and resolved.
  • mfeingolmfeingol Director of Engineering Posts: 5,034Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    JenkTJ27:

    However, my Mpeg2 video still are transcoding


    Yeah, Media Foundation doesn't support that by default. It does support it with the Media Center pack, but we have no way of detecting whether that's installed or not from inside the app. Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/06/08/building-a-rich-and-extensible-media-platform.aspx
  • JenkTJ27JenkTJ27 Posts: 40Members
    mfeingol wrote:

    JenkTJ27:



    Yeah, Media Foundation doesn't support that by default. It does support it with the Media Center pack, but we have no way of detecting whether that's installed or not from inside the app. Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/06/08/building-a-rich-and-extensible-media-platform.aspx


    Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to an option for the user to select in Settings whether the Media Center pack is installed on the PC they are access PMS from? Perhaps by the Direct Play option?
  • LucksterLuckster Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass

    This update is really doing the trick for me :D

    Thanks a lot guys, great work as usual!


    Just wanted to 2nd this. Almost everything is working great now! I think the last thing I want is to have seeking enabled on transcoded mgpeg2-ts streams. Then I will be in heaven.
  • charlascharlas Posts: 244Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Not 100% sure if it's me but I've just tried to login to plexpass on the W8 client, and the fields for username and password are not allowing input of more than 6 characters...

    So wont work for me. :(
  • JenkTJ27JenkTJ27 Posts: 40Members
    Is there a list of future enhancements I can look at or a process to request new features for this client? I am seeking a play-to or play on client ABC feature like you can from the mobile clients. For tablets, it would be a nice feature for multi-room audio/video control.
  • mfeingolmfeingol Director of Engineering Posts: 5,034Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    charlas wrote:

    Not 100% sure if it's me but I've just tried to login to plexpass on the W8 client, and the fields for username and password are not allowing input of more than 6 characters...

    So wont work for me. :(


    I can't reproduce your problem. Can you post a screenshot showing the issue? What device/resolution?
  • mfeingolmfeingol Director of Engineering Posts: 5,034Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    JenkTJ27 wrote:

    Is there a list of future enhancements I can look at or a process to request new features for this client? I am seeking a play-to or play on client ABC feature like you can from the mobile clients. For tablets, it would be a nice feature for multi-room audio/video control.


    No, there isn't a list. But acting as a remote controller/controllee is definitely on it.
  • mcboss86mcboss86 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Just read about Plex for Windows 8 and tried to find it in the store (my location is switzerland). I can't find it..
    So is this actually a Plex for Windows 8 client or a Plex for Windows RT client? The latter would explain why I couldn't find it in the Windows 8 Store?
  • JenkTJ27JenkTJ27 Posts: 40Members
    mcboss86 wrote:

    Just read about Plex for Windows 8 and tried to find it in the store (my location is switzerland). I can't find it..
    So is this actually a Plex for Windows 8 client or a Plex for Windows RT client? The latter would explain why I couldn't find it in the Windows 8 Store?


    Nope. For both. I have it on my Windows 8 Pro. Love it!
Sign In or Register to comment.