Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Music Scanner - Personal Media Artists

MediaJunkieMediaJunkie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 259 Plex Pass
Local Art Support?
I am in the process of adding local art to all my media. This is because I want to be less dependent on Plex results (and I like to have all metadata local) and control my media art on a more granular level.
With Movies and TV Shows it works splendidly :D

However, I can't get it to work with the Plex Music Scanner, also I can't find any documentation on the wiki about it that indicates that it may not be possible yet.

So I have a couple of questions:
  • How can I use local album art
  • How can I use local artist images
  • How can I use local fanart

All three are supported in Plex because whenever I use Discogs or Last.FM agents, they show up.

There's another bug, I think, because I used the Personal Media Artists agent and it still scrapes artists and fanart images from the Internet (but where from?!).

Comments

• MediaJunkieMediaJunkie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 259 Plex Pass
    No one using local artwork with his music collection?I hope the Personal Media Artists agent author can explain this a bit further and/or write support for local music artwork in the agent.
  • QuasarQuasar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 265 Plex Pass

I wondered about that. I thought that might have used .nfo files.

• srewobwjsrewobwj Members, Plex Pass Posts: 79 Plex Pass
    edited January 1

I know this is a dated post, but in the event you're still exploring ways to use local metadata for music, here's how I do it:

With respect to album art, I embed it in my tags. That way, it's portable and moves with my MP3s outside of the PLEX ecosystem.

With respect to artist posters and backgrounds, all you have to do is put two files in the artist root folder, as follows:

\Music\Pink Floyd\
    artist-poster.jpg
    artist-background.jpg

Note that the syntax for naming the files is exactly as shown above. That is, always use "artist" and not the actual name of the artist. These files will be picked up by PLEX when your library is scanned. Note that if you've previously manually set either of these using the "edit" function then you'll have to go back and manually change them. Otherwise, if neither has been set, PLEX will automatically use your local files.

For artist posters (i.e. thumbnails), I've found that square photos with a resolution of 600 X 600 work well. For artist backgrounds (i.e. wallpapers), I typically use photos that match the resolution of my monitor/television (i.e. 1920 X 1080).

Note that all of this assumes you've setup your library to use embedded metadata, first. In my case, I run a Basic Music Library (see settings below). I believe that it will also work with a Premium Music Library, but have not personally tested it.