Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Get an error playing any movie

jaysshethjayssheth Posts: 4Members
Just installed PLEX
Hey Guys,
Im a noob to PLEX. I just got a new san - Synology DS213, i was able to set it up fine, got PLEX installed and uploaded some movies to test. Movies shows up just fine on my plex web link with all the info it grabbed from the internet - ie movie name, description, etc. But when i try to play it, i get this error message:

"There was an error attempting to play this video."

I am trying to play a MKV and an AVI file. Please help, i really need to get this working, since my main reason to get a NAS was to have a good media server.

Thx,
JS

Comments

• Chip "Mini" MoonChip "Mini" Moon Posts: 384Plex Pass, Plex Ninja
    jayssheth wrote:

Hey Guys,
    Im a noob to PLEX. I just got a new san - Synology DS213, i was able to set it up fine, got PLEX installed and uploaded some movies to test. Movies shows up just fine on my plex web link with all the info it grabbed from the internet - ie movie name, description, etc. But when i try to play it, i get this error message:

"There was an error attempting to play this video."

I am trying to play a MKV and an AVI file. Please help, i really need to get this working, since my main reason to get a NAS was to have a good media server.

Thx,
    JS

What are you trying to play the file on??

See here, theres some serious restrictions with NAS running PMS http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS
  • jaysshethjayssheth Posts: 4Members

What are you trying to play the file on??

See here, theres some serious restrictions with NAS running PMS http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS

I am trying to play it on both, WIn and a MAC through google chrome.

Thanks,
    JS
    jayssheth wrote:

I am trying to play it on both, WIn and a MAC through google chrome.

Thanks,
    JS

I just read the link you gave above for NAS running PMS, and noticed that the NAS i have (DS213) does not support transcoding. That is an issue. So what is the best way to set this up? Any kind of help would be appreciated.
    Is there a MAC/Win Plex client that i can install and view videos from there? How would i watch videos from the internet without using the browser?

Thanks,
    JS
  • ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,094Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    You can use the Plex Media Center application to watch most videos without transcoding (it's being rebranded as Plex Home Theater). Download it here. Most other clients like Plex/Web and the iOS app do not need a video to be transcoded if its in a mp4 container with h264 video.
  • Chip "Mini" MoonChip "Mini" Moon Posts: 384Plex Pass, Plex Ninja
    jayssheth wrote:

I just read the link you gave above for NAS running PMS, and noticed that the NAS i have (DS213) does not support transcoding. That is an issue. So what is the best way to set this up? Any kind of help would be appreciated.
    Is there a MAC/Win Plex client that i can install and view videos from there? How would i watch videos from the internet without using the browser?

Thanks,
    JS

You could use your NAS for what its really for network attached storage, and install Plex Media Server on a computer and point it towards the NAS for file locations and use Plex/Web or Plex Media Center to view everything they can both be downloaded @ http://www.plexapp.com/getplex

You could use your NAS for what its really for network attached storage, and install Plex Media Server on a computer and point it towards the NAS for file locations and use Plex/Web or Plex Media Center to view everything they can both be downloaded @ http://www.plexapp.com/getplex

Thank you guys! Will try it.
  • daveg56daveg56 Posts: 1Members

That was really helpful as I've been struggling for a few hours trying to get Plex working with a Synology/Roku combination, thinking that I'd configured something incorrectly. Clearly it's not a good combination!