Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Backup Plex

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Plex Pass
edited January 2013 in Linux
So I was looking around on how to backup Plex and what I found didn't work.

How do I backup my plex media server?

Ubuntu 12.04 if it matters.

Comments

• doristoridoristori Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    I am just running it in vmware workstation as a virtual server (Ubuntu 12.04) and I just taka a new snapshot once a week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Plex Pass
    How does that help me lol
  • guy2545guy2545 Posts: 135Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I was looking around on how to backup Plex and what I found didn't work.

How do I backup my plex media server?

Ubuntu 12.04 if it matters.

There are a bunch of different guides on out there on how to backup different things on Ubuntu. I just include the Plex Media Server directory into my backup program along with everything else. You can look at /etc/default/plexmediaserver to figure out what directory holds plex (I have mine set to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library). If you include all the cached items, this can get to be rather large (1+GB).

To restore Plex Media Server, I install the program from the repos, edit /etc/default/plexmediaserver to indicate where I stored the library and then copy everything from the backup into that directory. Final step is to make sure you restore plex as the owner of that directory (i.e. sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver).
  • phroenipsphroenips Posts: 190Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    guy2545 wrote:

There are a bunch of different guides on out there on how to backup different things on Ubuntu. I just include the Plex Media Server directory into my backup program along with everything else. You can look at /etc/default/plexmediaserver to figure out what directory holds plex (I have mine set to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library). If you include all the cached items, this can get to be rather large (1+GB).

To restore Plex Media Server, I install the program from the repos, edit /etc/default/plexmediaserver to indicate where I stored the library and then copy everything (except the Plug-ins directory) from the backup into that directory. Final step is to make sure you restore plex as the owner of that directory (i.e. sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver).

fixed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Plex Pass
    Thanks