Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku 3 goes on sale tomorrow for $99 with upgraded CPU and a new UI

JEscHTJEscHT Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited March 2013 in Plex Classic for Roku

Hoping the upgraded CPU will help those friends and family that are using myPlex on Roku!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/05/roku-3-goes-on-sale-tomorrow-for-99-with-upgraded-cpu-and-a-new/

Comments

• shooksshooks Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hopefully this means no more transcoding for 1080p on Roku and opens up the possibility of a refreshed UI for Plex!!

• shooksshooks Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Actually, I just noticed that they are already for sale on roku.com. I couldn't resist and ordered one (free shipping right now). I'll report back when I get it and test it out.

• MiamiPlexMiamiPlex Posts: 10Members

Damn...and I just bought my Roku 2 XS.  I guess this is why they were blowing them out so cheap. 

• SarlicSarlic Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2013

I'll be ordering mine tomorrow.  Schuyler..... any hope that cpu upgrades, etc, will allow for possible direct play of beefier MKVs?

And, hopefully, the new layout offers the way to upgrade/spruce up the Plex for Roku UI?

• JEscHTJEscHT Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    shooks wrote on March 6 2013, 2:36 AM: »

Actually, I just noticed that they are already for sale on roku.com. I couldn't resist and ordered one (free shipping right now). I'll report back when I get it and test it out.

Ordered one as well! Hope the improvements make a huge difference!

• dodgen247dodgen247 Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Post how it works out!

I think I'll wait for amazon -- with prime I can order with overnight shipping for 3 bucks tomorrow morning.  Roku is charging a bunch for overnight shipping and I doubt they'll be sending any out tonight anyway.

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,787Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Speaking more frankly than I should, you know about as much about the announcements as I do. To those specific points:

Direct Play of MKVs - It's not really an issue of specs, the Roku just freaks out if you ask it play an MKV over HTTP. You can take an MKV and put it on a simple Apache web server or on something like Dropbox and it'll crash the same way. It's on my list of things that I'd love to see fixed, but I don't have any reason to think it'll be fixed by this new version.

New UI - I sure hope so! We'll have to figure out what's possible and go from there, but I'm looking forward to it. The only people I know who've seen the new UI firsthand have loved it, and I'm looking forward to joining in.

They need to get that http issue figured out!  Whose hand do we need to grease to get that done?  :-)  At least from my perspective, they get that fix rockin', and the Roku is the king of local content set top boxes!

Looking forward to seeing what you guys can do with the new UI!

• bcolfleshbcolflesh Posts: 20Members

I am also waiting for it to hit Amazon, but all the early adopters please post your experiences here!

• roranielroraniel Posts: 155Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I assume the current Plex client should work on he new Roku with no known additional issues?

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,787Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    roraniel wrote on March 6 2013, 3:36 AM: »

I assume the current Plex client should work on he new Roku with no known additional issues?

Yes, and while I can't say so firsthand, I've heard from someone who had early access that it ran fine.

• AMRivlinAMRivlin Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Once in hand, please post a collection of "screen shots" of the new menu system.  I am thinking of selling my ATV2, and switching to roku3.  I just need to see the menu and get a feel for the performance.

Thanks

• KenanAKenanA Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I want to buy one, but I'm concerned about the fact that the Roku 3 networking specs list its ethernet port speed at 10/100 Base-T. I understand why the Roku 2 XS is 10/100 Base-T, but why on earth doesn't the new Roku 3 have a Gigabit port? I hope the Roku site is incorrectly listing the speed, because that might be a deal killer for me :(

• Flyinace2000Flyinace2000 Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I use a Synology DS413J which doesn't have a fast enough CPU to transcode large files.  Right now i run Plex on MacBook w/ a broken screen hooked up to my home theater.  Will this new Roku box be able to handle direct playback, or is that depending a lot on file time.  I mostly have 720/1080p files.

-Will

• samukassamukas Posts: 210Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow, really like the nice touch with the Headphones input, I could really use that!

But what I'm looking forward the most is the new UI and hopefully new screen types in a new SDK. So far nothing new in the Developer's Website :(

• roranielroraniel Posts: 155Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Darn. Not on Amazon as of 7:30 am Eastern US.

I know, starting to annoy me!  They need to get this thing up!

• seahorsejlseahorsejl Posts: 181Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2013
    It's there, just not coming up in the search yet. You need to go to the second page of the Roku Amazon store I believe.

Can you put up a link?  I'm not seeing it.