Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for the Xbox 360?

plissken99plissken99 Posts: 2Members

On the site they mention the Xbox 360 as a compatible device, yet I see no Plex app from the Xbox and no information on how to actually make this happen. I'd love to stream the collection to my home theater, and really don't want to have to buy the Roku or something.

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭

There is no client to install, it connects via DLNA - all you need to do is have the Xbox360 and Plex Server on the same network.

• nex0rnex0r Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As Trudge says, there's nothing to install. Make sure any firewalls are turned off or setup correctly on your PMS, hit the xbox menu button and Plex will be listed under System Video Player and system music player.

• cwpccwpc Posts: 24Members ✭✭

Is there a way to access it and give it the GUI interface i see when accessing from a PC - the minimalist interface sucks, no metadata or anything

• ShieldofprideShieldofpride Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

yes, I am in agreement with cwpc.

I would LOVE to see a plex app for the 360, considering I have 4 of them on every tv in my home..

for some reason, trying to get to the video list on the 360 take forever.

• jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Posts: 2,931Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    skinflintmusic wrote on June 26 2013, 8:30 PM: »

yes, I am in agreement with cwpc.

I would LOVE to see a plex app for the 360, considering I have 4 of them on every tv in my home..

for some reason, trying to get to the video list on the 360 take forever.

Probably wont ever happen, the cost to write and publish apps for the xbox is just crazy, if they changed their model for it then perhaps but right now I cant imagine Plex could or would want to throw money at this.  

• gubster39gubster39 Posts: 2Members

ok I have plex on my mac how do i allow get this to show on my xbox360

• ASFxASFx Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    gubster39 wrote on August 5 2013, 1:33 AM: »

ok I have plex on my mac how do i allow get this to show on my xbox360

If you look four posts above yours, you'll see where nex0r posted instructions on how to do what you're asking.

• don.clarkdon.clark Posts: 1Members
  • jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Posts: 2,931Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    don.clark wrote on August 16 2013, 4:17 PM: »

This isnt really plex mate, it's just DLNA which is not tied to any device it's a standard used for streaming on many devices. 

• jamieha11idayjamieha11iday Posts: 1Members

I am still unable to see Plex or any media server for that matter on my xbox which is on the same network as my mac.... anyone have any idea?

• tequeknowtequeknow Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

I have a plex server at my house and my kids are at their moms most of the time, has anyone tried to access the plex server via the web interface?

• jeepers183jeepers183 Posts: 1Members

It works pretty good remotely as long as you have a decent upstream.

• TailgunTailgun Posts: 12Members

I just installed Plex and am getting constant stutter on both my Panasonic Viera HDTV and my Xbox 360. Is there something in the settings I can adjust to get rid of this stutter? I really want to stream movie files from my laptop to these devices. (For some reason Plex streams quite nicely to my Android tablet.)

• firedog7881firedog7881 Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I highly recommend a Chromecast for anyone that wants to do DLNA.

• jgsteinmetzjgsteinmetz Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    firedog7881 wrote on December 20 2013, 9:23 PM: »

I highly recommend a Chromecast for anyone that wants to do DLNA.

Seconded. I got one for Christmas and had it up and running, streaming movies to my in-laws' house ~200 miles away, in less than 15 minutes.

• davidfellsdavidfells Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

I've yet to stream anything out of Plex to my Xbox without seeing outrageous pixelation. It looks about like 480p. Just awful.

• chrisjscottchrisjscott Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've got PMS running on Ubuntu 12 & it streams beautifully t o both my Roku and my iOS devices. However, I've never been able to get my content to play cleanly on my Xbox 360 (via Plex DLNA).

I always assumed the flaw was on the side of the Xbox, however, I just installed PS3 Media Encoder (ps3mediaencoder.org) on my Ubuntu box, pointed it towards my media collection and, lo and behold, my Xbox plays content flawlessly.

Anybody got any ideas as to what PME is doing right that PMS isn't? I'd love to be able to use JUST Plex to serve up everything, everywhere.
  • chrisjscottchrisjscott Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

See my post here for some more details on what I think may be the issue - I just lack the understanding to solve it (!).

• gldndragon77gldndragon77 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • EnochLightEnochLight Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    gldndragon77 wrote on October 17 2014, 6:38 AM: »

Interesting... That Gigacom article claimed that the 360 app should appear within 2 weeks after the One app dropped. That's what - tomorrow? Not sure where they got that estimate from as Élan keeps saying "we're working as fast as we can" with no estimate other than "soon"...

*shrugs*