Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

files not showing up in folder with many sub dirs

fremoyfremoy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
I've added a HD movie folder which has 217 subfolders. Only files not in those sub folders are showing up. (18 movies)

If i copy 2 of those sub folders  to a test directory and add that to PMS. The movie files do show up.

any ideas?

done deep scan and PMS ver 0.9.7.22

There is no problem showing files within sub folders of other folders i've added.. 

I also see this crash sometime. Faulting application name: Plex Media Scanner.exe, version: 0.9.7.22, time stamp: 0x515bfc5c
Faulting module name: swscale-0.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x514b651c

Comments

• sdjmesdjme Members, Plex Pass Posts: 665 Plex Pass

This could be an issue with your directory structure and/or file naming convention.  Take a look at this wiki entry.

The structure that Plex loves is:

/Movies/Movie Name (year)/Movie Name and any info.ext

• fremoyfremoy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Thanks for answering Kaiguy.  I thought that too so copied two of the folders out into another folder and the contents are read ok.

Subfolders that follow the naming convention also aren't read.  Only files in the root of the selected folder are read. 

What logging can I view to see what's happening when a do a deep scan?

Regards

Mark.

• sdjmesdjme Members, Plex Pass Posts: 665 Plex Pass

It would be under the Plex Media Scanner log.

Is your media located locally?  On a NAS?  On an external drive?  I'm wondering if its a permissions issue.

• fremoyfremoy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Hi thanks.  It's on an external.  I'd reset permissions previously to no affect.

I did find out what it was though..  One folder was called video_ts and was the only folder that showed up in the media library.  I renamed it and straight away the other folders started to be scanned and show up in the library.

thanks for your time on this.

Regards

Mark.

• teddybeardjteddybeardj Members Posts: 6

Guys I have tried the Media Naming and Organization Guide and have named files what I think is correct, but still six out of 20 files are being populated.  The files are all named similiar.  Here is an example, Life On Mars.  It has one season, 17 episodes with about three of them having commentary tracks.  So what I did is ripped the episode as one file and the commentary track of the episode as another file.  Here is the directory  z:\multimedia/Lou's Multimedia\TV Shows\Life On Mars\

And the folders are like the following.

Life On Mars - S01E01 - Original Pilot

Life On Mars - S01E01 - Remake Pilot

Life On Mars - S01E01 - Remake Pilot - Commentary

Life On Mars - S01E02 - Name unknown

And so on.  The Original Pilot and the commentary are nowhere on plex.

Here are also tests with variations on the name

Life On Mars - S01E01 - Original Pilot

Life On Mars - S01E01a - Remake Pilot

And so on.  Still only one shows. 

A Third test of the following was what resulted in 6 files out of 24 showing up.

Life On Mars Episode 01 Original Pilot

Life ON Mars Episode 01 Remade Pilot

Life On Mars Episode 01 Remade Pilot - Commentary

Life On Mars Episode 02 of 17

Life On Mars Episode 03 of 17

Life On Mars Episode 04 of 17

In this example some of the files show up and not all even though they are very clearly labeled different.  It is as if Plex is picking and choosing which it wants to allow and which it doesn't.  Perhaps Detective Tyler is a bad character in the files Plex doesn't want to show. 

I am sure to do what the naming wiki says, using Personal Media Shows as the Agent. 

When I add the same files to the type of media, "Home Movies" it will actually show all of the files then.  The only problem is, it won't display different seasons of other TV Shows as such, they lump all seasons into one directory.

I don't think its in my naming scheme..  What else could it be? 

• teddybeardjteddybeardj Members Posts: 6

Here's a basic question no one is asking.

Is there a way to have plex just add the darn file of each folder without analyzing it or deciding for itself what it might or might not be, or if there is a repeat of the file or make any judgements for itself???

Simply add ALL files in each folder plain and simple.  Is there a setting that can do that?  I have a lot of TV Shows with variations on names for each show, season ect.  I would like plex to simply add ALL files to the folder it is in and not frustrate me in the process..

Any chance??

• ben7530ben7530 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    teddybeardj wrote on June 20 2013, 12:47 AM: »

Is there a way to have plex just add the darn file of each folder without analyzing it or deciding for itself what it might or might not be, or if there is a repeat of the file or make any judgements for itself???

Simply add ALL files in each folder plain and simple.  Is there a setting that can do that?  I have a lot of TV Shows with variations on names for each show, season ect.  I would like plex to simply add ALL files to the folder it is in and not frustrate me in the process..

Any chance??

That's exactly what I want. PLEX metadata works great, except for when it doesn't. Example: http://i.imgur.com/gCwNCd6.png. The show is wrong, and for some reason it (inappropriately and hilariously) mixed the metadata from some cooking show (that I've never even heard of!) and my "Rage Against The Machine" album.

I want to be able to do the following: PLEX, add "folder X" to movies. No metadata? Then just use the name of the folder and file rather than try to make a (ridiculous) partial match!

Direct control: Put directory X in Category Y.

Essentially, I want to drag and drop files/folders onto plex, and then be able to enter my own metadata.

That seems elementary...

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Members Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭
    teddybeardj wrote on June 20 2013, 12:47 AM: »

Not asking as they have probably read the wiki.  It's called a personal media section.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • mur.613mur.613 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4

I'm having a similar problem. 

I have been using the plex server on my unraid server with no issues until i passed the 1500 movies, it is not detecting any new movie.