Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexConnect on synology

Answers

• DrGynDrGyn Members Posts: 1

Hello. I have an issue: plexconnect stops after run (the status in package center shows "stopped"). It runs for about 1-2minutes and then stops. And ATV trailers shows "Trailers is unavailable. Try again later". Any hints, please? Thank you !

• MvLMvL Members, Plex Pass Posts: 235 Plex Pass

Thank you for make this available for the Synology NAS! I'll hope you update this when new versions are available... It's really awesome that i can run this from my Synology NAS. Thanks!

• AbmaonlineAbmaonline Members, Plex Pass Posts: 48 Plex Pass
    edited July 2013
    For those wanting to use the package and always have the latest version from git at the same time:

Update for latest version of spk with new file structure
    Update for new PlexConnect.py in git

1) Get git on your synology (using ipkg or spk; when using the spk package the git client can be found at /usr/local/git/bin/git, use this in step 5 and when pulling updates)

2) Stop PlexConnect on Synology from package manager in DSM

3) Navigate to package folder (if you can't find the 'share' folder, update to the latest package in the start post)
    cd /usr/local/plexconnect/share/

4) Move current files to backup location
    mv PlexConnect/ PlexConnect-org/

5) Clone PlexConnect repo

6) Copy config files from original folder to new checkout
    cp PlexConnect-org/*.cfg PlexConnect/

7) Change owner rights
    chown -R plexconnect.root PlexConnect/

8 ) Start PlexConnect again from DSM (using command line kills the service when you logout)

9) Check if everything still works.

Now to update your code:
    cd /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/
    git pull
    Check if any changes were made; if so: stop and start PlexConnect from DSM package manager to pick them up

If you have used this before and git pull complains about local changes in PlexConnect.py: delete it and try to pull again:
    rm PlexConnect.py
    git pull
  • Ozymandias77Ozymandias77 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Everything works nearly perfect, but music. Why? 

Server is latest 0.9.8

• f00b4rf00b4r Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,914 Plex Pass
    Music is not supported and might never be unless a new better method is found.
  • bwynantsbwynants Members, Plex Pass Posts: 429 Plex Pass
    edited July 2013
    Abmaonline wrote on June 30 2013, 7:11 PM: »

For those wanting to use the package and always have the latest version from git at the same time:

the newer installer puts the code in a slightly different location, apart from that the steps should work

use /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/ as that path also abstracts the installation location (volume 1 or volume2)

and starting and stopping can be done from within the Package Center....
    DrGyn wrote on June 29 2013, 9:28 PM: »

Hello. I have an issue: plexconnect stops after run (the status in package center shows "stopped"). It runs for about 1-2minutes and then stops. And ATV trailers shows "Trailers is unavailable. Try again later". Any hints, please? Thank you !

What is in the log file? with the latest installer you can access the log file from within the  Package Manager, open PlexConnect and click on the 'log' link

• sbradley7777sbradley7777 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 75 Plex Pass
    edited July 2013

Is there going to be a way to make sure that our synology plex connect package is up to date or do you have to respin make ever time?

Is there a way to get it submitted to synocommunity?

Do you have your build instructions for building that .spk package?

btw, thanks for building worked flawless. One thing i would add is to ask on install if the PMS is remote so no one has to edit anything.

sbradley wrote on July 1 2013, 12:20 PM: »

Is there going to be a way to make sure that our synology plex connect package is up to date or do you have to respin make ever time?

Is there a way to get it submitted to synocommunity?

Do you have your build instructions for building that .spk package?

btw, thanks for building worked flawless. One thing i would add is to ask on install if the PMS is remote so no one has to edit anything.

A request is send to SynoCommunity to add the package see https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/pull/576

if they add it, I plan on making addition patches for each dot 'release' of PlexConnect and Package Manager on Synology should inform you of updates automatically.

as long as it is not added I will update this post with the latest 'released' version

you can sync to https://github.com/bwynants/spksrc and build it yourself if you like :-)

PS: if PlexGDM works correct there should be no need to edit anything in the config...

sbradley wrote on July 1 2013, 12:20 PM: »

Remote PMS's are not supported, you need to either wait for implementation of MyPlex support or make the changes manually if you understand the implications (having the option open to everyone will just create a support nightmare).

• diabludiablu Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited July 2013

Hi,

any one can say me how I can install the python 2.7.3-3 package? I can't find that!.

My default python package versión is the 2.7.3-11 and the plexconnect package don't work.

thanks in advance.

bwynants wrote on July 1 2013, 7:39 AM: »

the newer installer puts the code in a slightly different location, apart from that the steps should work

use /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/ as that path also abstracts the installation location (volume 1 or volume2)

and starting and stopping can be done from within the Package Center....

Thanks, changed the steps to match the new (nicer) structure, use the /usr/local/, restart using the package manager (I liked the commandline, since I didn't need the web interface, but starting PlexConnect from the commandline kills it when your ssh connection is closed: no so good) and change the owner of the files (just in case).

• Luxury4everLuxury4ever Members Posts: 3
    Abmaonline wrote on June 30 2013, 7:11 PM: »

(Update for latest version of spk with new file structure)

1) Get git on your synology (using ipkg or spk)

2) Stop PlexConnect on Synology from package manager in DSM

3) Navigate to package folder
    cd /usr/local/plexconnect/share/

4) Move current files to backup location
    mv PlexConnect/ PlexConnect-org/

6) Copy config files from original folder to new checkout
    cp PlexConnect-org/*.cfg PlexConnect/

7) Remove code preventing PlexConnect to run as daemon
    vi PlexConnect/PlexConnect.py and delete the last 10+ lines starting from 
            try:
                   key = raw_input()

8 ) Change owner rights
    chown -R plexconnect.root PlexConnect/

9) Start PlexConnect again from DSM (using command line kills the service when you logout)

10) Check if everything still works.

Now to update your code:
    git pull
    Check if any changes were made; if so: stop and start PlexConnect from DSM package manager to pick them up

If there are ever conflicts in PlexConnect.py, just delete it and git pull the latest version and check if it is still needed to manually remove the code preventing it from running as a daemon.

Hi Abmaonline, I am confused with your steps, may you pls guide me.

I have installed PlexConnect base on Bwynants package.

Steps:

1) I have installed the Git (source SynoCommunity) from DSM Package Mgr successfully

2) Successfully stopped the PlexConnect

3) I could not find the share directory in plexconnect - should I manually create it?

4) I have manually created the directory PlexConnect-org and copy all files in /usr/local/plexconnect - this is ok?

5) I cant run "git clone https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect.git", error "Git not found" - what am I missing here?

Luxury4ever wrote on July 2 2013, 5:32 AM: »

3) I could not find the share directory in plexconnect - should I manually create it?

use newer installer in first post

• Luxury4everLuxury4ever Members Posts: 3
    bwynants wrote on July 2 2013, 6:25 AM: »

use newer installer in first post

Thanks again bro bwynants ;)

edited July 2013
    Luxury4ever wrote on July 2 2013, 5:32 AM: »

Hi Abmaonline, I am confused with your steps, may you pls guide me.

I have installed PlexConnect base on Bwynants package.

Steps:

1) I have installed the Git (source SynoCommunity) from DSM Package Mgr successfully

2) Successfully stopped the PlexConnect

4) I have manually created the directory PlexConnect-org and copy all files in /usr/local/plexconnect - this is ok?

5) I cant run "git clone https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect.git", error "Git not found" - what am I missing here?

I just found out I don't use the Git package myself, so I will have a look at how I installed Git or how to get it working with the package...

Edit: ok, I used ipkg to install git; to use the git in SynoCommunity package replace git in the steps by /usr/local/git/bin/git:

/usr/local/git/bin/git clone https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect.git

and

/usr/local/git/bin/git pull
  • gernot8783gernot8783 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Hi,

I have installed plex connect on my 1511 synology yesterday with the latest spk from this thread and am having the same trouble on ATV3 FW 5.3 as described in the following thread: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/72831-latest-plexconnect-cannot-play-content/

According to the thread the issue has been solved June 30th in the morning and the spk from this thread is from the same day so it should have been fixed but I still have the issue on my installation.

Could someone kindly advise how I can locate settings.cfg so I can edit it myself?

Thank you
    Gernot

edited July 2013
    as mentioned
    gernot wrote on July 3 2013, 10:15 AM: »

Hi,

I have installed plex connect on my 1511 synology yesterday with the latest spk from this thread and am having the same trouble on ATV3 FW 5.3 as described in the following thread: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/72831-latest-plexconnect-cannot-play-content/

According to the thread the issue has been solved June 30th in the morning and the spk from this thread is from the same day so it should have been fixed but I still have the issue on my installation.

Could someone kindly advise how I can locate settings.cfg so I can edit it myself?

Thank you
    Gernot

as mentioned in the first post: based on v0.1 release of PlexConnect

the bugfix is not in that version, instructions for installing a more recent version yourself are in the thread...

editing settings:
    log on as root (ssh) and type
    vi /usr/local/plexconnect/share/PlexConnect/Settings.cfg
  • RobertSmithRobertSmith Members, Plex Pass Posts: 420 Plex Pass

Hi,

I'm note sure it's related to this project or any previous attempt :)

But i can't login in to my photo station anymore LAN:  10.0.1.2/photo  => Page couldn't be find, same error for 10.0.1.2/web/index.html

I have checked every thing i could think of incl. that Apace is running. Could I have change something like the DNS, web on 81 that I now have to reset.

I tried to uninstall this packages but still have the same problem.

Pls help :)

RobertSmith wrote on July 3 2013, 2:26 PM: »

Hi,

I'm note sure it's related to this project or any previous attempt :)

But i can't login in to my photo station anymore LAN:  10.0.1.2/photo  => Page couldn't be find, same error for 10.0.1.2/web/index.html

I have checked every thing i could think of incl. that Apace is running. Could I have change something like the DNS, web on 81 that I now have to reset.

I tried to uninstall this packages but still have the same problem.

Pls help :)

If you changed the Apache port to a differnt port number rather than setting up a reverse proxy you may have caused it.

The best thing might be to reverse it and then use the reverse proxy setup to avoid any issues with e.g. Photo Station.