If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexConnect on synology

Answers

• bent_videobent_video Posts: 3Members
    f00b4r wrote on July 4 2013, 8:31 PM: »

They might require transcoding by the PMS. Your Mac is powerful enough but your NAS is not (check the Plex wiki on NAS devices; there is also a link at the bottom to an Excel sheet that will tell you your NAS's capabilities).

I just checked the spread sheet at https:// docs.google.com /spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhqU12yGv_OxdC1VYjYtMmRiSlVReVZhNVBLZ0JxSmc#gid=0. I wasn't aware of that before, so thanks. It appears that the DS213 (and many other Synology NAS on ARM) do not support transcoding.

Would the issue I'm having indicate an issue with PlexConnect, or Plex Media Server itself? I don't have any problems going from Synology -> OS X Web Browser. Also, The Daily Show appears to be in native MP4 format, so transcoding shouldn't be an issue if it simply passes the stream directly. I am wondering if it's simply a timeout issue. Is there a way to raise the timout limit and retry attempts?

Thanks

• f00b4rf00b4r Posts: 2,885Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Different players have different codec support and thus some require transcoding when others do not.
    You may be better asking about specific channels in the channel sticky for your other question about if it really is an MP4 stream (btw MP4 is a container and NOT a format).

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

Wiki: click here

How to report an issue: click here

Github (download the app): click here

Donations (Paypal): [US-$], [EUR]

• AbmaonlineAbmaonline Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    braintumor wrote on July 4 2013, 5:17 PM: »

First of all, thanks a lot for helping me... I entered the command and this is what I got back: 

No idea what it means :)

Were you logged in as root (same password as admin)? When I'm not logged in as root, it doesn't show the proces names for each line.

braintumor wrote on July 4 2013, 7:52 PM: »

I rebooted a couple of times already and everything is up-to-date, really have no idea whats wrong... Everything else on my NAS runs tip-top!

You are definitely running a DNS server on port 53, you might want to try the Synology forum for better help on finding out what it is.
    You then have two options:

- disable it
    - use it instead of the PlexConnect one

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

• bwynantsbwynants Posts: 429Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    braintumor wrote on July 4 2013, 7:52 PM: »

I rebooted a couple of times already and everything is up-to-date, really have no idea whats wrong... Everything else on my NAS runs tip-top!

uninstall plexconnect, reboot and type

netstat -tulpn | grep ':53 ' 

if it generates output something is installed to listen to DNS request, remove that and then install PlexConnect

• hausahausa Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

first thank you to every person involved in this really cool project!  :)

I got it running with the SPK now but my git pull doesnt work.

/opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: line 245: tr: not found
    Your configuration specifies to merge with the ref 'XML_templates'
    from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

can somebody help me out?
    edited July 2013
    hausa wrote on July 5 2013, 8:55 AM: »

from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

can somebody help me out?

read the instructions in the thread carefull, you first have to clone before you can pull

bwynants wrote on July 5 2013, 10:52 AM: »

read the instructions in the thread carefull, you first have to checkout before you can pull

sorry but git checkout doesn´t solve the problem. I get the same error message again.

not a big deal to rename the folder, git clone it again and copy the old config files but I would like to know why git pull doesn´t work for me.

edited July 2013
    hausa wrote on July 5 2013, 12:19 PM: »

sorry but git checkout doesn´t solve the problem. I get the same error message again.

not a big deal to rename the folder, git clone it again and copy the old config files but I would like to know why git pull doesn´t work for me.

you are 'in' the PlexConnect folder when you do 'git pull' ? you have to be, not in the folder above...

so type 'cd PlexConnect' first....

It seams you are missing the 'tr' command (part of textutils). How did you install git? Using the SynoCommunity package or using ipkg?

• tazketazke Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Impressive!

Just made it work on my Synology DS 412+, really nice work guys!

• bjorn72bjorn72 Posts: 11Members
    Unbelievable! This spk works just great on my 212+!

However, PreviouslyI installed plexconnect from http://synology.mdevries.org/spkrepo /packages ( after I added this as a new
    package source). I got an error due to python and uninstalled plexconnect again.
    Then I stumbled on this great spk and installing just went fine.
    It is since then that the issue with my website and photostation. They are no longer rechable from the internet.
    I get an Synology error "Sorry, page cannot be found".

Anybody any clues? I just dont't know where to start looking.
    DNS I enetered as suggested to 8.8.8.8 .
    Cheers,
    Bjorn
  • falco953falco953 Posts: 118Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hey,

I've installed the Phyton Package from the SynoCommunity and the package from the first thread on my DS412+. I've entered 8.8.8.8 in the assistant and set the dns of my apple tv to 192.168.1.111 (the IP of my DS). But my apple TV says can't connect to trailers.

Here is the log of pled connect:

yv78mt9j.png

and here my Settings.cfg

[PlexConnect]

port_pms = 32400

enable_plexgdm = True

ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8

ip_webserver = 0.0.0.0

loglevel = Normal

enable_dnsserver = True

ip_pms = 0.0.0.0

port_webserver = 81

How do I get this to work? Please help me

bjorn72 wrote on July 7 2013, 10:32 AM: »

Unbelievable! This spk works just great on my 212+!

However, PreviouslyI installed plexconnect from http://synology.mdevries.org/spkrepo /packages ( after I added this as a new
    package source). I got an error due to python and uninstalled plexconnect again.
    Then I stumbled on this great spk and installing just went fine.
    It is since then that the issue with my website and photostation. They are no longer rechable from the internet.
    I get an Synology error "Sorry, page cannot be found".

Anybody any clues? I just dont't know where to start looking.
    DNS I enetered as suggested to 8.8.8.8 .
    Cheers,
    Bjorn

Could you check if there is a /usr/syno/apache/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf.bak and if so, post the contents here?

falco953 wrote on July 7 2013, 12:50 PM: »

hey,

I've installed the Phyton Package from the SynoCommunity and the package from the first thread on my DS412+. I've entered 8.8.8.8 in the assistant and set the dns of my apple tv to 192.168.1.111 (the IP of my DS). But my apple TV says can't connect to trailers.

Here is the log of pled connect:
    yv78mt9j.png

and here my Settings.cfg
    [PlexConnect]
    port_pms = 32400
    enable_plexgdm = True
    ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8
    ip_webserver = 0.0.0.0
    loglevel = Normal
    enable_dnsserver = True
    ip_pms = 0.0.0.0
    port_webserver = 81

How do I get this to work? Please help me

GDM auto discovery of you PMS is not working, edit this line in your settings.cfg to the IP of your PMS:

ip_pms = 0.0.0.0

• falco953falco953 Posts: 118Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    f00b4r wrote on July 7 2013, 3:28 PM: »

GDM auto discovery of you PMS is not working, edit this line in your settings.cfg to the IP of your PMS:

ip_pms = 0.0.0.0

i have set it to 192.168.1.111 (the ip of the disk station)

Same as before doesn't work :(

2sv875l3.png

Abmaonline wrote on July 5 2013, 6:22 PM: »

It seams you are missing the 'tr' command (part of textutils). How did you install git? Using the SynoCommunity package or using ipkg?

thank you very much! installing textutils via ipkg solved the issue and I can use git pull now. :)

• AquaDiggerAquaDigger Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey All,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone involved, works great on my DS1812+.

Kai

falco953 wrote on July 7 2013, 3:37 PM: »

i have set it to 192.168.1.111 (the ip of the disk station)

Same as before doesn't work :(

2sv875l3.png

Please read the sticky on how to report a problem, we will need more info than "it doesn't work" ;)

• bjorn72bjorn72 Posts: 11Members

Abmaonline wrote on July 7 2013, 2:37 PM: »

Could you check if there is a /usr/syno/apache/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf.bak and if so, post the contents here?

Well yes, there is. However, it seems mostly filled with comments.
    The only line of code says:
    ServerRoot "/usr/syno/apache"

Cheers,
    Bjorn