If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Writing profiles for DLNA devices...

Comments

• BambiSlayerBambiSlayer Posts: 30Members ✭✭

@nerdle said:
    @BambiSlayer
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I will do as you say and report back.
    You say that you are running PMS on a Pi. When looking at the "Recommended" CPU for PMS they state a Core i3. How does it go with the Pi?
    I know that my Microserver is way under spec so would be nice to see if it is ok to use.
    I have been running Serviio now for a number of years so in the end I might just stick with that.

The pi 3 is somewhat underpowered and doesn't handle transcoding at all. Hence I have setup all my libraries so the files are in a native format that all my clients can read without transcoding. Therefore the pi is simply acting as a glorified lookup table for the files. It streams just fine even with multiple clients connected contiguously.

And as I had a few of them lying around I figured I would use them. And at only 10-15W per unit it makes them very cheap to run.

Most people seem to require the transcoding for various reasons. So then you need something that has a bit of horsepower to achieve that.

And at the end of the day, we all do what we need to do to achieve the desired result with the equipment we have. Thats what makes us all so diverse and unique. And I can assure you that nobody in the Plex community has the same system/setup.

Best of luck with your DLNA project, and it would be good to get some feedback on your progress.

FYI: Whilst this link may not have a profile for your home theater unit, you should be able to gleen some information from them.

Regards

Fred

• nerdlenerdle Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@BambiSlayer
    Looks like I will be sticking with Serviio.
    I downloaded and ran the Intel Tools Device Spy software, but it did not find my Home Theatre or TV.
    The only devices it found were my router and Serviio which is installed on the server.
    When I upgrade my TV or Home Theatre to a newer model I might try again.
    @BambiSlayer Once again, thank you for your input.

Hello All

I understand that there is a command line (linux) that can be run to test custom profiles, but I am having trouble finding it.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Regards

Fred

• vivanvivan Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm looking at the default profiles and I see that none of them actually handle the identification - how does that work?

I also see that everything defaults to the generic...

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 5,030Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@vivan said:
    I'm looking at the default profiles and I see that none of them actually handle the identification - how does that work?

They're not DLNA profiles, they are for the applications they run on. the DLNA profiles will always have some identification near the top of the xml.

Most of the profiles in the dfeault directory are not DLNA profiles. If the device you are using is not one of the DLNA devices that a profile is currently written for it will always default to the generic profile. The generic profile basically tells the server send everything as is and is mostly used as a default when no other identifier matches the device.

@vivan said:

jmckee is mostly right. All profiles shipped with PMS are for the most part generic. They can broadly identify various clients. However, if you are wanting PMS to stream to a specific DLNA compliant device you will need to write specific DLNA profiles for them.

This is the header of the profile for the Xbox360 (note the tag)
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Windows Media Player Sharing
    http://www.microsoft.com/
    Microsoft Corporation
    http://www.microsoft.com/
    DMS-1.50

There are plenty of profiles around, you just have to search for them. And if you can't find anything that is your exact device, get a profile from something similar and modify it to suit. There is plenty of documentation on writing profiles. It may seem overwhelming to start, but some perseverance helps.

Regards

Fred

Bugger, it didn't so the code. Just look at the profiles shipped with PMS, at the top you will see an Identification tag.

Regards

Fred

• Deniska77Deniska77 Posts: 173Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 25

Need a visual software to create DLNA XML profiles for PLEX like a constructor for Chromecast, for DLNA server and for other devices.

I have Chromecast which have a problem with PLEX for example with CHANNEL playing (plugins for example IPTV.bundle), because of HLS codec.

I have two TVset

Panasonic VIERA TX-LR42D25 (2010 model year)
    Sony BRAVIA KDL-24W605A (2013 model year)

Both TV has a imcomtibility with DLNA server.

I can see the files on Panasonic Viera DLNA, but I can't play anything.
    I can't see any files on SONY BRAVIA TV, like no content.....

Both TVs of course can't DLNA channels (plugins content).

So, need simple constructor to create XML PROFILES for CHROMECAST and BOTH TV.

Read my posts above about an application called "Intel Tools for UPnP". This tool will allow you to get the header information required for a custom profile.

The information in the settings and containers is available from the provider concerned, IE Panasonic and Sony.

As for a constructor, don't be lazy. XML isn't hard. I use Notepad++ to ensure all headers are open and closed, this should also be done for all the settings and container information.

FYI: Your TVs are clients, PMS is the server. DLNA is the protocol used to talk. And DLNA has substantial limitations. So beware when implimenting it.

Sometimes it is better to simply create a file share and getb your client to connect to that and stream the files directly.

Oh, and ensure you have your media in the correct format as both your clients will be different in their supported media format. MP4 (H.264) seems to be fairly common.

Regards

Fred

edited March 25

Other my DLNA Server (Home Media Server) has a very vary constructor, but plex server is the best. But don’t have constructor.
    Very simple for developers make constructor to made XML for different cases.

Who payed money for Plex Pass don’t want to have a problem with all devices!!

So, if developers don’t want to make constructor - please they can make xml for all tvset models in the world!!

I have a problem - I don’t know how transcoding have to be work, don’t have a problem with xml, but I don’t know structure of the plex xml for transcoding.

If you tell me video case how to made transcoding with many examples, may be I will try to make my own xml, but better if developers made the special visual software!!

See how many questions about DLNA profiles are exists in this forums, many many different problems, many tasks, it is better for developers to help everybody.

• marko.stijak@gmail.commarko.stijak@gmail.com Posts: 2Members

Hello all,

I read almost all topics regarding DLNA and external subtitles and i didn't get it, does PLEX DLNA server support external subtitles without transcoding?

I have LG TV with WebOS 3.0 and I know it can handle external subtitles over DLNA. I tested it using Mezzmo DLNA server and all worked as expected even when there are another subtitles bundled with MKV container. LG native Media player by default uses external one, but let to choose other subtitles.

Here is another example using BubbleUPnP on android device and Mezzmo DLNA server, external subtitle is provided by DLNA server.

So, is there any way to specify in PLEX DLNA device profile external subtitle, just to send it to client as is?

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 5,030Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@marko.stijak@gmail.com said:
    Hello all,

I read almost all topics regarding DLNA and external subtitles and i didn't get it, does PLEX DLNA server support external subtitles without transcoding?

No, the DLNA server only supports internal subtitles without transcoding.

I have tested PMS with external (internet/local) subtitles with and without custom profiles and it doesn't work. I have resorted to ripping my movies with subtitles enclosed within the file. Its one of the downfalls of PMS, but I can't be bothered checking/testing any other media servers.

Regards

Fred

• marko.stijak@gmail.commarko.stijak@gmail.com Posts: 2Members

@jmckee said:
    No, the DLNA server only supports internal subtitles without transcoding.

In the meantime I tried Emby media server which support external subtitles and I like it even more than Plex.

For all you folks, if DLNA is must have feature than try Emby.

No answer...

I tried Emby. It didn't even play MP4 movies on my Panasonic TV (defualt format for Panasonic). You can't see what profile is being used without searching the logs. My custom profile I use for plex didn't work which I thought was odd given it is in a standard XML format. And documentation for Emby was rarher sparse. The product simply isn't mature enough. So I'm sticking with Plex even though it has short comings.

Regards

Fred

My Home Media Server(HMS) working fine with Sony TV (2013) and Panasonic TV (2010), but Plex doesn’t work with both by DLNA.

• bjernebjerne Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Apple lossless (alac) to flac transcode no longer works on my plex server.

As suggested in some other post in this same forum, I've made the following changes to my plex config, with the purpose of forcing alac to flac transcode when casting audio in apple lossless format, from plex to a chromecast audio:

• First I've created a new directory "Profiles" in this path:
      /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

• Then, I've created a new file Chromecast.xml in the very same Profiles directory, with the content as pasted below. (ownership & permissions have been configured for both the dir and file so that plex user has full control to them)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<br /> <VideoCodec name="*"><br /> <Limitations><br /> <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" /><br /> <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" /><br /> </Limitations><br /> </VideoCodec><br /> <VideoCodec name="h264"><br /> <Limitations><br /> <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" /><br /> <UpperBound name="video.level" value="42" /><br /> </Limitations><br /> </VideoCodec><br /> <VideoAudioCodec name="aac,mp3"><br /> <Limitations><br /> <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" /><br /> </Limitations><br /> </VideoAudioCodec><br /> </CodecProfiles><br /> </Client></p></li> </ul> <p>The only change made, when comparing the XML file's content (above) to that of the default chromecast device profile, has been in changing the codec from <code>opus to flac, in this specific line:

This config has been working well, when I set i up back in late November 2017 but has stopped working at some point in the meantime, as now plex converts alac to lossy aac instead of flac :(

Any help in fixing this issue would be highly appreciated!

• bjernebjerne Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Please ignore the above, badly formatted post - I was unable to delete it, which I find rather strange...

This post concerns the transcoding of Apple lossless (alac) to flac, as this has stopped working on my (fully updated) linux-based plex server.

As was suggested in some other post in this same forum, I've made the following changes to my plex config, with the purpose of forcing alac to flac transcode when casting audio in apple lossless format, from plex to a chromecast audio:

First I've created a new directory Profiles in this path: /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

Then, I've created a new file Chromecast.xml in the very same Profiles directory, with the content as pasted below.
    (Ownership & permissions have been configured for both the dir and file so that plex user has full control to them)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Client name="Chromecast"> <!-- Author: Plex Inc. --> <TranscodeTargets> <VideoProfile protocol="http" container="mkv" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp3" context="streaming" /> <MusicProfile container="mkv" codec="flac" /> <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" /> <SubtitleProfile container="ass" codec="ass" /> </TranscodeTargets> <CodecProfiles> <VideoCodec name="*"> <Limitations> <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" /> <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" /> </Limitations> </VideoCodec> <VideoCodec name="h264"> <Limitations> <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" /> <UpperBound name="video.level" value="42" /> </Limitations> </VideoCodec> <VideoAudioCodec name="aac,mp3"> <Limitations> <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" /> </Limitations > </VideoAudioCodec> </CodecProfiles> </Client>

The only change made, when comparing the XML file's content (above) to that of the default chromecast device profile, is changing the codec from opus to flac, in this specific line:

The above config worked just fine after I set it up, back in late November 2017, but has stopped working at some point in the meantime as, now, plex converts alac to lossy aac instead of flac :(

Any help in fixing this issue would be highly appreciated!

Rename your custom profile to something like MyChromcast.xml. This will allow you to identify the profile being used. Remember to restart PMS.

Open your web manager to view your library.

Then try to play some music on a chromcast device.

Whilst your attempting to play the file you should see in the web manager under Status|Playing Now the file being played. You should see the profile name inside the image of the file being played.

If you can't do this, simply download and view your logs to check for same.

If the profile name is your custom profile then your profile needs tweeking.

But that asside, your real problem is to find out what changed on your system to prevent your files from playing. I am assuming of course that the files have played in the past and for some reason they stopped playing.

Assuming your files did play, then what did you change on the server? What did you play with on the server? did you do an upgrade?

Regards

Fred