If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Writing profiles for DLNA devices...

167891012»

Comments

• BambiSlayerBambiSlayer Posts: 23Members ✭✭

@nerdle said:
    @BambiSlayer
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I will do as you say and report back.
    You say that you are running PMS on a Pi. When looking at the "Recommended" CPU for PMS they state a Core i3. How does it go with the Pi?
    I know that my Microserver is way under spec so would be nice to see if it is ok to use.
    I have been running Serviio now for a number of years so in the end I might just stick with that.

The pi 3 is somewhat underpowered and doesn't handle transcoding at all. Hence I have setup all my libraries so the files are in a native format that all my clients can read without transcoding. Therefore the pi is simply acting as a glorified lookup table for the files. It streams just fine even with multiple clients connected contiguously.

And as I had a few of them lying around I figured I would use them. And at only 10-15W per unit it makes them very cheap to run.

Most people seem to require the transcoding for various reasons. So then you need something that has a bit of horsepower to achieve that.

And at the end of the day, we all do what we need to do to achieve the desired result with the equipment we have. Thats what makes us all so diverse and unique. And I can assure you that nobody in the Plex community has the same system/setup.

Best of luck with your DLNA project, and it would be good to get some feedback on your progress.

FYI: Whilst this link may not have a profile for your home theater unit, you should be able to gleen some information from them.

Regards

Fred

• nerdlenerdle Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@BambiSlayer
    Looks like I will be sticking with Serviio.
    I downloaded and ran the Intel Tools Device Spy software, but it did not find my Home Theatre or TV.
    The only devices it found were my router and Serviio which is installed on the server.
    When I upgrade my TV or Home Theatre to a newer model I might try again.
    @BambiSlayer Once again, thank you for your input.

• BambiSlayerBambiSlayer Posts: 23Members ✭✭

Hello All

I understand that there is a command line (linux) that can be run to test custom profiles, but I am having trouble finding it.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Regards

Fred

167891012»