Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Writing profiles for DLNA devices...

1789101113»

Comments

• BambiSlayerBambiSlayer Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Sorry, Ive put you wrong.
    You need to change the Client name string in your custom profile to something unique so you can identify it in the web manager. You only need to change the file name if your searching your logs.

Regards

Fred

• jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,065 Plex Ninja

@BambiSlayer said:
    Rename your custom profile to something like MyChromcast.xml. This will allow you to identify the profile being used. Remember to restart PMS.

The Chromecast profile isn't a DLNA profile it is a profile accessed by the mini app ran on Chromecasts so changing the file name/client name won't do anything except possibly break playing things via the app on the Chromecast.

• bjernebjerne Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

@BambiSlayer said:

Rename your custom profile to something like MyChromcast.xml. This will allow you to identify the profile being used. Remember to restart PMS.

Open your web manager to view your library.

Then try to play some music on a chromcast device.

Whilst your attempting to play the file you should see in the web manager under Status|Playing Now the file being played. You should see the profile name inside the image of the file being played.

If you can't do this, simply download and view your logs to check for same.

If the profile name is your custom profile then your profile needs tweeking.

But that asside, your real problem is to find out what changed on your system to prevent your files from playing. I am assuming of course that the files have played in the past and for some reason they stopped playing.

Assuming your files did play, then what did you change on the server? What did you play with on the server? did you do an upgrade?

Regards

Fred

Firstly, thanks for getting in touch! :)

To address your fist suggestion: I will not be changing the name of the Chromecast profile, since I more or less agree with @jmckee's follow up post in that it would only break things.

Reiterating what I wrote in my initial post, I can in fact stream/transcode to the Chromecast unit just fine - I hope that's quite clear :)
    The problem that has arisen is that ALAC files are no longer being transcoded to FLAC-format, as defined in the Chromecast device profile, but instead to lossy (default?) AAC format.

It seems that my custom Chromecast profile is being recognised (and put into use) without issues since, after restarting the plex server daemon on my linux box, I get the following output in the Plex DLNA-server log:

Apr 14, 2018 15:46:53.105 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - DLNA server port: 32469
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:53.105 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - PMS: http://127.0.0.1:32400/
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:53.105 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - MyPlex: https://plex.tv/
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:55.172 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - Reading system DLNA client profiles
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:55.193 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - Overriding "Chromecast" profile with user client profile
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:55.202 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - Read 22 DLNA client profiles
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:55.209 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - DLNA device discovery enabled every 60 seconds
    Apr 14, 2018 15:46:55.209 [0x7f1db42ea800] DEBUG - Initialization complete

So, judging from all this, the problem must be with the way the custom profile itself has been written… or what do you guys think?

I have changed a few things on my server since the time when I had the custom Chromecast profile working, but not anything which I can really link to this transcode problem.

1789101113»