Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

jbdaviesjbdavies Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So... what are the chances that Plex will be supporting Chromecast? Google just announced it today. 

This seems like a way better option to get your content on your TV. The Samsung Plex app... is kind of lacking.

• maxexcloomaxexcloo Posts: 5Members

I was actually about the post this, you beat me to the punch!

As a user who attempted both RasPlex and an old Laptop a device that's both affordable and HD Capable such as Chromecast would be an insanely awesome device for Plex to support, especially with their slick new app!

• jtjackajtjacka Posts: 106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes.  Using an AppleTV for now.  Gave up with trying to have my family use an HTPC.  Still want a device as simple as AppleTV, Roku, etc. that will also do lossless audio.  That being said this looks like a very simple elegant solution.  Including HDMI-CEC is a big win for people who don't want to mess with remote controls.

• mjh1202mjh1202 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

Please add support... would make Plex the best!!

• xeo_frxeo_fr Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

A plex app was the first thing I though off when I saw the chromecast annoucement; I currently use a Vizio Co-Star and it doesn't perform so well.

• sunrocksunrock Posts: 182Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Here's developer information: https://developers.google.com/cast/

• bozs13bozs13 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really hope this happens :)

• eNdblueNdblu Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass

I'm SOOO excited about this device.  I really hope that the Plex team finds a way to support it!

• xlncxlnc Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Perfect companion for Plex. Go Plex Team !

• KeelanKeelan Posts: 175Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Go plex! Get on this ASAP.

• jnadkejnadke Posts: 1Members
    edited July 2013

It's theoretically do-able, but not without some work.  I'll let the developers speak further on that front.

The Chromecast works using HTML5.  As I understand it essentially receives a webpage, with an HTML5 embedded video on it, and displays that.  In that effect, it's essentially a web browser mirroring device.

In theory Plex would render the website, with an internal network link to the content, and send it to Chromecast.  Chromecast would then grab the content from the internal network.  The chief issue is the codecs are limited.

It's limited to the following formats:

• Video codecs: h.264, VP8

• Audio decoding: HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/OPUS, MP3

• Containers: MP4/CENC, WebM, MPEG-DASH, SmoothStreaming

• Level 1 DRM support: Widevine, Playready

Basically everything supported in the HTML5 standard.

• rdb4133rdb4133 Posts: 81Members ✭✭

Subscribed to see if anything comes of this! :) I bought one just to mess around with at $35 it's less than other devices I'm sure all of us have bought in the past to try out!

• chrisvischrisvis Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Yes!! Would be an awesome addition!

• djsnafudjsnafu Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just bought one as well. Can't beat $35! I drink that much in an hour so I can go without the booze for a little bit.

• jameskjamesk Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Very keen for this, despite the Chromecast not being available in the UK yet...

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,179Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

There are several other threads on this topic. Closing (or merging them if info exists) them to keep it tidy.

Use this one: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75359-chromecast/

This discussion has been closed.