Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chrome Cast

jobenso@yahoo.comjobenso@yahoo.com Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I just ordered a chrome cast, which looks as if it's Google's answer to airplay. Is this going to be supported on the PLEX clients?

Comments

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 8,556Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

its not airplay at all. in the sense that i have x video stored on my phone. i cannot stream it from phone to tv.

what it does is.

I have video online somewhere. I am watching on my phone. i can tell tv to go to same website and play the same video.

and it just came out today like 12 hrs ago. why not let the devs buy one and try it out. then they will know if it will be supported

• dslate69dslate69 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can't "online" be defined a local web server? Maybe even a local web server running from your plex server.

The only real difference between the Internet and an Intranet is where the source is fed from.

I think it is entirely possible. Although not exactly airplay, sending it a web stream from a local source may accomplish nearly the same thing.

In fact we know using Plex Web Client in Chrome will work, so if any PLEX client advertises itself as a Chrome browser in order to stream, isn't that all that is needed.

I am not sure that last part is as easy as it sounds even with Chromium being open source.

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,194Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Closing this thread to keep the amount of Chromecast threads to a minimum. Either use the ones in the Plexpass forum or this one to continue this discussion: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75359-chromecast/

This discussion has been closed.