Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on smart TV?

whetstonewhetstone Posts: 27Members

I've been using Plex through my Roku. Plex Media Server is installed on my desktop. I decided to purchase a Vizio Smart TV. It offers Netflix and a few other streaming services. Can I add Plex to the TV, or do I still need the Roku?

thks

Comments

• georgejolliffegeorgejolliffe Posts: 1,106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Two possible way this could work.

1. DLNA streaming to the TV from Plex (will probably work) but this is much worse than using a Roku.

2. If Plex have developed an app for that specific TV manufacturer (i doubt they have/will for Vizio).

Even if your TV supported option 2, i personally would still recommend the Roku.

• whetstonewhetstone Posts: 27Members
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the advice, George.

I guess this isn't the best place to ask, but what did you mean by "much worse" regarding DLNA? Not knowing anything about this, I googled DNLA Vizio and found a testimonial from someone who figured out how to do this and seems very pleased...

http://thebitplague.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/play-stream-video-from-pc-to-vizio-tv/

George Jolliffe wrote on July 30 2013, 8:24 AM: »

Two possible way this could work....

• georgejolliffegeorgejolliffe Posts: 1,106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    whetstone wrote on July 30 2013, 9:02 AM: »

Thanks for the advice, George. I guess this isn't the best place to ask, but are there better options for serving media to my TV via WiFi?

Not IMO.

Plex Media Server (PMS) with a Roku is a great experience. Not to mention that once PMS is setup you can access your media using many different platforms.

e.g. - Web Browser, iOS/Android devices and OSX/Windows applications.