Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DTS-HD / True-HD

weeks71weeks71 Posts: 49 Plex Pass

Someone just stated in another forum that Plex will bitstream DTS-HD and True-HD. Can someone please explain to me how this is possible?

It works great for me in xbmc, but I prefer Plex, and I've scoured the web and tried everything, and it just plays DTS-HD as DTS and True-HD as PCM (which I am not sure is actually working or not, because my receiver just states PCM).

From what I've read, plex cannot do this, but I've read a few folks (including the one who just posted) stating it can.

Is this a feature only available in plexpass?

Best Answer

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,203 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

the beta release of Plex Home Theater which is not out yet for regular folks can do this. I do not know when it will be out for the general public. it is still beta like i said and buggy in areas.

currently it is only available to plexpass users but that is only until it is mostly finished

Answers

Accepted Answer

the beta release of Plex Home Theater which is not out yet for regular folks can do this. I do not know when it will be out for the general public. it is still beta like i said and buggy in areas.

currently it is only available to plexpass users but that is only until it is mostly finished

• MediaconoclastMediaconoclast Noisy Ninja Posts: 2,194 Plex Ninja
    edited August 2013

It can do it. But it has a lot to do with where you're streaming it.

What OS/player combo are we talking about having connected to the receiver?

For example, I'm on Windows, and COAX/Optical wouldn't do it for me. With HDMI, using Plex Media Center/Plex Home Theater, I had to go into audio setting and make sure to output using WASAPI to pitch it to the receiver as-is. Assuming your receiver handles TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, all the lights will start popping up and your ears will be happy.

Edit: I stand corrected! I just tried DTS and TrueHD with PMC, and no dice! Sorry about that -- listen to BigWheel.

• weeks71weeks71 Posts: 49 Plex Pass
    edited August 2013

Okay, thanks. Going plex pass then. This is what I wanted to hear. I'm not doing any streaming. Just one box.

Any word on ISO reading?

Plex Home Theater can play ISOs as long as it is on the same computer as the server. You can't stream it to a plex app on another computer or device like phone or tablet

okay, I'm in heaven now. Thanks!

It's not playing ISO, but I'm getting DTS-HD and True-HD, so I'm a happy camper.

• jellegardjellegard Posts: 183 Plex Pass

so can the latest preview release of PLEX Home Theater send the HD audio tracks to a receiver or not??  there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.  can one of the Devs PLEASE chime in on this and clarify?

i have a Mac-Mini (2012) and i know that it isn't capable of decoding/passing through the HD audio under OS X.  all i use the mini for is for PLEX so i am more than happy to erase the thing and install Windows 7 in Boot Camp but does it work yes or no?!?!  can we PLEASE just get an answer to this as it is something that i am certain everyone using PLEX in their home theater would love to be able to do.

thx,

john.

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,090 Plex Ninja
    jellegard wrote on August 21 2013, 8:31 PM: »

so can the latest preview release of PLEX Home Theater send the HD audio tracks to a receiver or not??  there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.  can one of the Devs PLEASE chime in on this and clarify?

i have a Mac-Mini (2012) and i know that it isn't capable of decoding/passing through the HD audio under OS X.  all i use the mini for is for PLEX so i am more than happy to erase the thing and install Windows 7 in Boot Camp but does it work yes or no?!?!  can we PLEASE just get an answer to this as it is something that i am certain everyone using PLEX in their home theater would love to be able to do.

thx,

john.

As stated earlier in this thread, yes (if you are using Windows).

• miles267miles267 Posts: 47 Plex Pass

When will the latest beta (w/ bitstreaming support) be made available for general release to those without PlexPass?

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭
    miles267 wrote on October 19 2013, 3:02 PM: »

When will the latest beta (w/ bitstreaming support) be made available for general release to those without PlexPass?

Hopefully soon - there is no dates.  Lots of bugs still to be squished.

• maklassenmaklassen Posts: 38 Plex Pass
    I have a Yamaha receiver that is DTS-HD and Dolby truehd capable but with PHT no indicator lights show up on the amp. Any one know why not?
    maklassen wrote on October 25 2013, 4:27 PM: »

I have a Yamaha receiver that is DTS-HD and Dolby truehd capable but with PHT no indicator lights show up on the amp. Any one know why not?

You'd be best asking that question in the Plex/HT forums.

• BigWheel wrote on August 10 2013, 7:44 AM: »

Plex Home Theater can play ISOs as long as it is on the same computer as the server. You can't stream it to a plex app on another computer or device like phone or tablet

Wait ... so with PMS on a NAS and PHT on a windows box Plex cannot play ISOs/TrueHD?

deathlord wrote on November 24 2013, 8:16 AM: »

Wait ... so with PMS on a NAS and PHT on a windows box Plex cannot play ISOs/TrueHD?

PHT cannot play ISO - there are no longer any workarounds to make this happen, it can handle TrueHD passthrough.

edited November 2013

PHT actually can't play ISO anymore at all. I was wrong when i said that.