Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server has encountered a problem

BlahHx2BlahHx2 Posts: 2Members

Hey everyone!

So ive been trying to run plex media server on my old computer i dont use anymore, the problem is after I install it when it tries to open I get " Plex Media Server has encountered a problem and needs to close"  (For the record i just re-installed windows XP SP3) i thought that would have solved my problem but it didn't. So just to see if maybe my computer just couldn't handle it i installed ubuntu and it ran plex fine. So i was wondering would anyone have any advice as to how i can get plex running on windows XP because I HATE ubuntu.

Thanks for the support!

Tagged:

Comments

• MediaconoclastMediaconoclast Noisy Ninja Posts: 2,194Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The best "honest" advice I could give you is to try to start hating Windows XP. The months are ticking down to where the world is not going to support it anymore. :)

If you don't hate Vista and Win7, they might work better ... unless the hardware is on the bubble regarding the minimum requirements -- Windows OSes have a bigger footprint than Ubuntu, so it's possible it might run with that (ATM) where it fails elsewhere.

But, if you insist on XP, you could post a PMS log for others to gander at -- there is a crowd of like-minded folks looking to repurpose older hardware for Plex duties, and the logs might provide some indication of what is going wrong.

• BlahHx2BlahHx2 Posts: 2Members
    edited October 2013

Thanks for the quick reply Mediaconoclast, I took your advice and installed windows 7 but im still getting the exact same error i was getting when i had windows XP installed :/ Here is a photo followed with the error code that comes with it when you hit the drop down menu

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: Plex Media Server.exe
      Application Version: 0.9.8.6
      Application Timestamp: 5228f398
      Fault Module Name: Plex Media Server.exe
      Fault Module Version: 0.9.8.6
      Fault Module Timestamp: 5228f398
      Exception Code: c000001d
      Exception Offset: 001ff254
      OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 0a9e
      Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3: 0a9e
      Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt