Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Mavericks killed auto mount ?

spanishuspanishu Posts: 165Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi 

I have updated yesterday my mac mini to Mavericks and it killed one very important part for my PMS. I have several network disks to which I connected automatically on reboot with the following in the file 

/etc/auto_master I had

/-                      auto_plex       -nosuid

and in /etc/auto_plex

Now when I run sudo automount -vc I am getting the following error

automount: /Volumes/video: mountpoint unavailable

Interesting enough I can create the directory video in /Volumes and run the command again and it works. But after a reboot the directory is gone again. 

Does anybody have any idea on how to recover this proceedure???? Would be very helpful !

Thanks best

Carsten

Comments

• yorammiyorammi Posts: 1Members

Indeed, they changed something in Mavericks and it happened to me as well - it seems now that it is more as in Linux where you need to create the mounting folder first. Creating the folder (in your case: /Volumes/video) - before running automount command - solved the issue for me.

Yoram Michaeli
    yorammi@tikalk.com

• spanishuspanishu Posts: 165Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi,

That solved it for me on a temp base. On reboot the created folder is being removed. Does this happen to you as well?
    Any work around to make the folder persistent?

Thanks and cheers
  • PerriwinklePerriwinkle Posts: 43Members ✭✭

You could try putting create folder command into your .bash_profile - every time you login it would re-create it. While not making it permanent per se, it would effectively be the same result.

Thanks a lot will give it a try. I believe the command would be standard linux with mkdir ?
    edited October 2013

yeh:

$mkdir /Volumes/Video 

sorry for one more "stupid" question where is that file ???

edited October 2013

When you start a terminal session, you will be in your 'home' folder, which is where the file lives. (If you're not in your home dir, the command 'pwd' will tell you your current directory - present working directory - and 'cd' on it's own will change you to your home dir.)

It has a full-stop in front of it, so that denotes that it is a hidden file - you can see it if you type 'ls -al'.

If the file doesn't exist (not sure whether it's there by default), then just create it with the command

$nano .bash_profile

then put the mkdir command in there. If the file exists, the same command will work, just don't over-write what's there. If you fancy a bit more of a challenge, then use vi :)

Then log out and back in again (this last might not be necessary - I know that you can reload your .bashrc file by using

$source ~/.bashrc

, which may work with .bash_profile, I'm not sure. You could try it.) Rebooting would be the acid-test though, as if everything is in place and the filename is correct etc., when you have rebooted the folder /Volumes/Video should exist.

By the way, I see in your original post, you used 'video' with a lower-case v. I have used an upper-case one; if the lower case one is correct, use that, as the filenames are case-senstive.

Many thanks for the hints but for whatever reason it did not have any effect. I have created the file with the command but still did not create the directory. 

I am thinking that maybe I should simply create it elsewhere and do the heavy lifting of recreating my entire library (not the preferred option). I have tried with creating a directory in the /Users/myuser/Public/ folder. Worked for a one time but not after reboot. 

So the bigger question for me is now... How to auto mount folders in OS-X Mavericks and where ???

Hm - I might have pointed you down the garden path a bit - try putting the same command in a file called .bashrc (same directory location) and reboot. I'm using terminal constantly, so .bash_profile might only execute when you open a terminal window, whereas .bashrc should run when you merely log into the mac.

Tried this as well but as well without any effect. I am surprised that I seem to be the only one having this sort of problem.. Do you have any suggestion for any other procedure or a better place to mount ? 

What surprised me is that I had permission problems when mounting in a different place than Volumes.

Thanks for the help

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    spanishu wrote on November 3 2013, 3:45 PM: »

Tried this as well but as well without any effect. I am surprised that I seem to be the only one having this sort of problem.. Do you have any suggestion for any other procedure or a better place to mount ? 

What surprised me is that I had permission problems when mounting in a different place than Volumes.

Thanks for the help

maps -> http://tentacles666.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/nfs-mounts-in-os-x-mavericks/

options -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5972

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

cool that solved it but now.... is there a way that I can chance the pointer in PMS to the "new" directory without PMS scanning it all over again and rematching all ????

spanishu wrote on November 3 2013, 3:56 PM: »

cool that solved it but now.... is there a way that I can chance the pointer in PMS to the "new" directory without PMS scanning it all over again and rematching all ????

just change the paths in the automap mount statements to be what you want them to be.

Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

The problem is that in the past I used /Volumes/video for example. I tried if it would work with the way you described and it is affirmative. Just the worry that this might not be working in some future or kill something else. Would it be safe to use /Volumes/ ???

spanishu wrote on November 3 2013, 4:16 PM: »

The problem is that in the past I used /Volumes/video for example. I tried if it would work with the way you described and it is affirmative. Just the worry that this might not be working in some future or kill something else. Would it be safe to use /Volumes/ ???

I do - no idea what might happen in the future, ill worry about that then.

• lawrencealanlawrencealan Posts: 1Members

I have a solution write-up here:

https://coderwall.com/p/fuoa-g

;)

Fine work!

lawrencealan wrote on January 29 2014, 7:58 PM: »

I have a solution write-up here:

https://coderwall.com/p/fuoa-g

;)