Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't access/setup server after fresh install

dovemandoveman Posts: 46Members

I've just installed the latest Plex Media Server on Win7 x64 Ultimate but when it tries to open the Web GUI (in IE10) it just shows the Home icon in the top left and the busy spinner in the middle and never does anything else.

I've tried disabling my firewall (Comodo) although I did create rules to allow the Plex components and my AV (avast) but that didn't make any difference.

Log is attached.

Comments

• MediaconoclastMediaconoclast Noisy Ninja Posts: 2,194Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Try this thread...

• dovemandoveman Posts: 46Members

Thanks but I'm using Win7 and that thread's about Win8.1 so it's probably not appropriate to post there.

I tried what is suggested, adding 127.0.0.1, localhost and 192.168.1.64 (the IP of the machine) to the Trusted Sites and enabling cross-domain access but it still doesn't work. I tested in Iron Portable and it works with http://localhost:32400/web/ or http://127.0.0.1:32400/ in that but I need to be able to make it work in IE as that's what my friends and family use.

I do have a Loopback Adapter installed which is needed for something else and is set to 192.168.2.1, so I wonder if that could be connected?

• MediaconoclastMediaconoclast Noisy Ninja Posts: 2,194Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I'm using Win7, too, and it is actually a IE10 and IE11 issue, IIRC.

Since the loopback is on a different subnet, it shouldn't matter. If you followed the instructions linked above all the way -- i.e., added the IPs to trusted site and enabled data sources across domains, I'm out of ideas ATM. :mellow:

The loopback does have some effect, in that with it enabled I can get to the same point with http://192.168.2.1:32400/web (i.e. the Plex busy spinner) as I do with http://127.0.0.1:32400/web or http://192.168.1.64:32400/web or http://localhost:32400/web

Obviously this doesn't work with the adapter disabled.

I've double checked I followed the instructions and even tried resetting the Trusted Sites level and changing that single setting again and then reset the Advanced settings just in case but it still doesn't work.

Is anyone able to help me fix this problem? It's especially annoying as it automatically tries to open the webpage when Plex starts and as I have it set to load at boot, it does it then as well every time I boot, which is a waste of time and slows the boot down unnecessarily.

doveman: why is PMS trying to open a web page on startup? It shouldn't.

although IE is not working for you, can you confirm that other browsers can access the Plex/Web Media Manager from the pMS host machine?

Mediaconoclast wrote on November 18 2013, 1:49 PM: »

doveman: why is PMS trying to open a web page on startup? It shouldn't.

although IE is not working for you, can you confirm that other browsers can access the Plex/Web Media Manager from the pMS host machine?

I have no idea why but it does, whenever I launch PMS. Not a webpage as such but the PMS web GUI page.

If I open it in Chrome/Iron or Firefox that works OK, so it's just IE that it isn't working in.

doveman: Well, I don't understand your loopback adapter situation...

Curious about Chrome and FF working ... what happens if you assign one of them as the default browser? Does Plex/Web open on reboot then?

• SwippleSwipple Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

I am having the same issue as dove.  I loaded plex onto my wife's Laptop as we are out of town, initially everything seemed to work with no issues (loaded yesterday 11/17) but now I get error 404 when trying to access the media center.  It does try to load via IE11 at system startup.  I have changed all of the security settings as addressed in other posts but with no luck. 

swipple: what do you mean by "media center"? Plex Media Center is a standalone player application, but I suspect you mean the Plex/Web Media Manager... is PMS installed on the laptop, or are you trying to access your PMS remotely?

similarly, I assume you mean that IE loads after a reboot, as doveman reported ... can you indicate whether a browser other than IE is able to launch the Plex/Web Media Manager correctly? What happens if you assign a browser other than IE as your default browser? More details...

since you've tried most of the other common remedies already, try reading this thread, and see if it might apply to what you're experiencing...

Swipple or Doveman: Did the above thread help? We're hoping to track down how pervasive this situation was/is...

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 24,059Members, Plex Pass, Forum Moderator, International Forum Moderator Forum Mod

There is one other (helil) here - and I have given what I believe is the total list of things that we know has resolved this type of symptom before

Mediaconoclast wrote on November 18 2013, 8:15 PM: »

doveman: Well, I don't understand your loopback adapter situation...

Curious about Chrome and FF working ... what happens if you assign one of them as the default browser? Does Plex/Web open on reboot then?

I imagine it would as Plex appears to be automatically opening it's portal, so that will open whichever browser is default.

I only have Iron and FF installed as Portable Apps, so I'm not sure they'll work as default but I'll try it when I get a chance.

Mediaconoclast wrote on November 19 2013, 11:25 PM: »

Swipple or Doveman: Did the above thread help? We're hoping to track down how pervasive this situation was/is...

Afraid not. I tried deleting the Framework and System bundles as well but that didn't make any difference.

Perhaps the logs will show something? I'll post them if you let me know which ones might be useful.

Mediaconoclast wrote on November 22 2013, 3:48 PM: »

Apologies, I got sidetracked with other issues and forgot about this thread. Still having the same problem with 0.9.814, so here's the log requested.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 24,059Members, Plex Pass, Forum Moderator, International Forum Moderator Forum Mod
    doveman wrote on December 18 2013, 3:13 PM: »

Apologies, I got sidetracked with other issues and forgot about this thread. Still having the same problem with 0.9.814, so here's the log requested.

Nothing that looks wrong in the new log with 0.9.8.14

I know you repaired system and framework bundles before without any joy but after upgrades the bundles sometimes do not operate properly - so i would suggest having another go at the system and framework bundle repair (link) and restarting the Plex Media Server

The log was the first start after upgrade? because it detected database schema changes. So a restart and if problem still there a repair of the bundles and restart as per the linked pinned forum topic

If problem persists suggest also attaching the com.plexapp.system.log (in the PMS Plugin Logs folder) as well as the corresponding Plex Media Server,log

Yes, that was the first start after upgrade. I've tried a simple restart and repairing the bundles again but still no joy. Attached the new logs.

edited December 2013
    doveman wrote on December 18 2013, 5:54 PM: »

Yes, that was the first start after upgrade. I've tried a simple restart and repairing the bundles again but still no joy. Attached the new logs.

Thanks looking at those now. You said localhost access works, Could you upload screenshots for the Settings for the Plex Media Server with Show Advanced Settings for each of General, myPlex and Network pages all with Show Advanced Settings (http://localhost:32400/web/index.html#!/settings)

And remind us of the exact problem that you are still left with