Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Show us your Plex setup!

Comments

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,096 Plex Team Member

You guys better not make it easy to be tracked down otherwise thieves will have a field day !

• LundmarkLundmark Members, Plex Pass Posts: 450 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

Hi,

here's my current setup:

• TV: Beovision 11-55. Great image and sound. The built-in speakers acts as the center channel for multichannel audio playback. The Beovision is also a sound processor, so I don't need an AV receiver. It weighs 88 kgs, so it's hard to steal. Also: its remote is lovely.
    • Speakers: Beolab 9. Active speakers that are connected directly to the TV. I don't have any surround speakers today, but I might get some in the future. The Beovision supports the WISA standard, which lets me get wireless surround speakers one day. 
    • Media player: Apple TV. it's inside the Beovision and can be controlled with the TV's Beo4 remote control. Used for Netflix and Airplay. 
    • Plex Media Server: Mac Pro. The first generation Mac Pro (2006) which I got really, really cheap. It's huge, noisy and power-inefficient, but it has 4 drive bays which currently holds 4TB of data and a quad-core processor that still provides enough oomph to transcode several HD streams at once.
    • Plex Media Server: I replaced the Mac Pro with a Synology DS214play NAS. Works much better. I had stuttering issues with the Mac Pro, but no more. Will get a 5 bay model when I can afford it in a year or so.
    • Networking: Time Capsule 2TB. The Mac Pro is currently wired to it and so are the rest of the apartment's ethernet outlets, but the Beovision and the ATV are wireless. That works, sometimes. I will probably run a wire to the TV. Update: Not anymore, you ain't! I finally have a wired connection and playback is much quicker and more consistent. Well worth it.
    • Other equipment: PS3, Motorola set-top box. The PS3 is used for gaming, only, and the set-top box I need because there aren't any DVB-T or DVB-C in the apartment. Only IP-TV. It sucks so much and I hate its guts, but my girlfriend needs it to watch crappy TV shows. At least it too can be controlled by the Beo4, bypassing the useless original remote entirely.

But what about the perhaps most important piece of equipment? The HTPC.

I'll get a new Mac mini soon. I had a 2009 mini that I sold because it played tricks on me and had a huge ugly external power supply. Tried living with Plex on iOS and AirPlay to the Apple TV but image quality is too poor. I hope Apple releases a Haswell Mac mini soon, then I might get that.

Update: I currently use the TV's built-in DLNA client to play movies. It works pretty good now that the TV is wired. Even seeking works. Subs, however, are spotty at best, as the TV doesn't seem to support side loaded SRTs, but there's no need for transcoding and almost all codecs I've tried play just fine. There might not be a need to get an HTPC, but we'll see.

The "home theatre"

P3ungSG.jpg

Side view

d8lZfQZ.jpg

One of the speakers

94w4T3h.jpg

The Mac Pro which runs PMS

EL7fpii.jpg

All the networking stuff and various chargers nicely hidden away (and apparently a lot of dust!)

vlCRORD.jpg

The PS3 and the dreaded set-top box. I'll get some kind of box to put them in as well as a Mac mini to go with it.

AgqA50B.jpg

Another front view

j3VD8Ak.jpg

Another side view of the Beovision. I love its looks.

YpvP110.jpg

• chris811chris811 Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Lundmark wrote on January 6 2014, 11:53 AM: »

Hi,

here's my current setup:

• TV: Beovision 11-55. Great image and sound. The built-in speakers acts as the center channel for multichannel audio playback. The Beovision is also a sound processor, so I don't need an AV receiver. It weighs 88 kgs, so it's hard to steal. Also: its remote is lovely.
    • Speakers: Beolab 9. Active speakers that are connected directly to the TV. I don't have any surround speakers today, but I might get some in the future. The Beovision supports the WISA standard, which lets me get wireless surround speakers one day. 
    • Media player: Apple TV. it's inside the Beovision and can be controlled with the TV's Beo4 remote control. Used for Netflix and Airplay. Currently used to play Plex.
    • Plex Media Server: Mac Pro. The first generation Mac Pro (2006) which I got really, really cheap. It's huge, noisy and power-inefficient, but it has 4 drive bays which currently holds 4TB of data and a quad-core processor that still provides enough oomph to transcode several HD streams at once.
    • Networking: Time Capsule 2TB. The Mac Pro is currently wired to it and so are the rest of the apartment's ethernet outlets, but the Beovision and the ATV are wireless. That works, sometimes. I will probably run a wire to the TV.
    • Other equipment: PS3, Motorola set-top box. The PS3 is used for gaming, only, and the set-top box I need because there aren't any DVB-T or DVB-C in the apartment. Only IP-TV. It sucks so much and I hate its guts, but my girlfriend needs it to watch crappy TV shows. At least it too can be controlled by the Beo4, bypassing the useless original remote entirely.

But what about the perhaps most important piece of equipment? The HTPC.

I'll get a new Mac mini soon. I had a 2009 one that I sold because it played tricks on me and had a huge ugly external power supply. Tried living with Plex on iOS and AirPlay to the Apple TV but image quality is too poor. I hope Apple releases a Haswell Mac mini soon, then I'd get that.

The "home theatre"

P3ungSG.jpg

Side view

d8lZfQZ.jpg

One of the speakers

94w4T3h.jpg

The Mac Pro which runs PMS

EL7fpii.jpg

All the networking stuff and various chargers nicely hidden away (and apparently a lot of dust!)

vlCRORD.jpg

The PS3 and the dreaded set-top box. I'll get some kind of box to put them in as well as a Mac mini to go with it.

AgqA50B.jpg

Another front view

j3VD8Ak.jpg

Another side view of the Beovision. I love its looks.

YpvP110.jpg

Great setup!!

And awesome movie! I loved Prisioners movie..even the ending.

• dane22dane22 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,899 Plex Ninja

Wow...B&O.....Heck...I'm Danish, and I haven't got B&O....SNIFF......

But in my next life, I'll invent either Windows 2105 or Plex V5.0.1.6, earn a lot of money, and buy B&O :D

/T

chris811 wrote on January 7 2014, 10:32 PM: »

Great setup!!

And awesome movie! I loved Prisioners movie..even the ending.

Thanks!
    Yeah, Prisoners quickly became one of my favorite movies. It's great, and pretty too. Looks amazing.

dane22 wrote on January 7 2014, 10:43 PM: »

Wow...B&O.....Heck...I'm Danish, and I haven't got B&O....SNIFF......

But in my next life, I'll invent either Windows 2105 or Plex V5.0.1.6, earn a lot of money, and buy B&O :D

/T

B&O is quite rare around here, so I was very happy to see B&O TVs scattered all over Copenhagen stores when I visited this fall. You guys have great taste. ;)

I really love their products. The looks, high fidelity and the craftsmanship. It started with a Beolit 12 and then I got a pair of speakers (the Beolab 9s). After that, it was impossible not to get a Beovision, which allowed me to get rid of the receiver altogether (since a sound processor is built in) and control everything with a nice, sturdy remote. (I hate almost all remotes on this planet.)

To be fair, I'm not rich; certainly not now :D
    But with an average income, some luck at the stock market, a huge interest and lots of time to save up, I could finally buy this TV. Oh, and being slightly mad helps, as do a forgiving girlfriend.
  • dane22dane22 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,899 Plex Ninja
    Lundmark wrote on January 7 2014, 11:07 PM: »

as do a forgiving girlfriend.

ROTFL, and so true

• mattnadmattnad Members, Plex Pass Posts: 446 Plex Pass

I used to have a B&O receiver and speakers back in the 80s and still own a pair of their bookshelf speakers.   Great stuff, but for me, too limited by design for expansion.

The only equivalent for that B&O TV is the Bose system, and it seems they just repurposed a so so $700 samsung display and charge another $5000 for their sound and remote control.  Not a big selling item here for sure.

mattnad wrote on January 10 2014, 4:39 PM: »

I used to have a B&O receiver and speakers back in the 80s and still own a pair of their bookshelf speakers.   Great stuff, but for me, too limited by design for expansion.

The only equivalent for that B&O TV is the Bose system, and it seems they just repurposed a so so $700 samsung display and charge another $5000 for their sound and remote control.  Not a big selling item here for sure.

Well, I wouldn't say Bose is equal in terms of quality. I don't think Bose speakers sound very good, and its design leaves a lot to be desired in terms of build quality. But if by equal you mean a TV with speakers above average, then yes. But then I guess we could argue that so is IKEA Uppleva. :D

Both the TV and the speakers can be used with other brands. The speakers require special cables, but they do work with any preamp. You can also connect any HDMI source to the TV and control it with the Beo4 remote using the TVs IR blasters. That said, B&O gear works best together because it's integrated and looks so damn good.
  • QbaniaQbania Members, Plex Pass Posts: 246 Plex Pass

Here's my setup.

The View: Samsung 55" SMART LED TV (UN55F6300)

Standalone PC Connected directly to cable modem/router: Toshiba Running Windows 7 64bit 

The Brains: Harman Kardon AVR 645

The Sound: PSB Speakers (Image T5 Tower) (Image C5 Centre) (SubSeries 125 Subwoofer) (Image B5 Bookshelf in rear)

Toys:

• XBOX 360 (Kinect)
    • Sony Blu-Ray (BDP-S360)
    • Gateway HDPVR MG5225G
    • Arris Media Player MP2000

Plex Media Server installed on Laptop

Plex Home Theater installed on Laptop. I watch Plex on TV via HDMI from Toshiba to Samsung

Plex Samsung TV App for Canadian Netflix

Xbox Netflix App (with an altered USA DNS/IP) So I get American Netflix (10k more shows/movies to watch)

I'm a simple man with simple pleasures...lol

• Quicksilver9365Quicksilver9365 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 47 Plex Pass

Hello from Canada

IMG_3593.jpg

• mattnadmattnad Members, Plex Pass Posts: 446 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014
    Lundmark wrote on January 10 2014, 5:20 PM: »

Well, I wouldn't say Bose is equal in terms of quality. I don't think Bose speakers sound very good, and its design leaves a lot to be desired in terms of build quality. But if by equal you mean a TV with speakers above average, then yes. But then I guess we could argue that so is IKEA Uppleva. :D

Both the TV and the speakers can be used with other brands. The speakers require special cables, but they do work with any preamp. You can also connect any HDMI source to the TV and control it with the Beo4 remote using the TVs IR blasters. That said, B&O gear works best together because it's integrated and looks so damn good.

Totally agree.  Bose is all about taking the ordinary, and repackaging it as extraordinary with a major price hike. The Bose TV video quality is rated as average.  Sound... well ... it's good given all the compromises, but not up par with with a $600 5.1 system.  B&O is costly, but you're actually getting something worthwhile for the money.

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,093 Plex Ninja
    mattnad wrote on January 10 2014, 7:11 PM: »

Totally agree.  Bose is all about taking the ordinary, and repackaging it as extraordinary with a major price hike. The Bose TV video quality is rated as average.  Sound... well ... it's good given all the compromises, but not up par with with a $600 5.1 system.  B&O is costly, but you're actually getting something worthwhile for the money.

The Bose QC headphones though... they are amazing.

• flecomflecom Members, Plex Pass Posts: 163 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

here is my plex backend, I will post pics of my home theater setup soon :)

Plex server (just runs Plex on CentOS)

HP DL585 G2

4x Opteron 8389 (2.9Ghz QC) 16 cores total

32Gb RAM, 4x 73gb 10k RAID0+1

colo3.jpg

SAN

2x xServe RAID w/14x 750Gb drives (4x RAID5+0) 18Tb usable

1x xServe RAID w/14x 500Gb drives (2x RAID5+0) 6Tb usable

Dell R610 w/2x L5639 hex core xeons & 48gb ram, 5x 160gb 10k RAID5, 1x 120Gb SSD for par (SAN front end/file server)

EonStor array 16x 2Tb RAID6 28Tb usable

EonStor array 16x 1Tb RAID5 w/hot spare 14Tb usable

EonStor array 16x 1Tb 2x 8 disk RAID5 2x7Tb = 14Tb usable

colo2.jpg

back end for everything

firewalls, fiber channel switches, ethernet switches, etc...

colo1.jpg

flecom wrote on January 16 2014, 5:28 AM: »

here is my plex backend, I will post pics of my home theater setup soon :)

That's sick. I love it. 

I wish I could dedicate a wardrobe to such a beast.

edited January 2014

it's in a colo/datacenter :D

no way I would have all that stuff in my tiny apartment :ph34r:

• mvnmvn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

I'm guessing thats not your 'personal' setup.... if it is - tell me how you got all that stuff!!!

• HermannHermann Members, Plex Pass Posts: 571 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

@flecom - Are you just serving media for yourself, or are you sharing with multiple remote users? I've been tinkering with the thought of putting my servers in a COLO as well, but the cost of bandwidth usage is stopping me. 5TB of traffic appearently doesn't come cheap.

edited January 2014
    mvn wrote on January 16 2014, 12:48 PM: »

I'm guessing thats not your 'personal' setup.... if it is - tell me how you got all that stuff!!!

personal as in it belongs to me? then yes, mostly :)

some of the stuff in the network backend isn't mine or part of my setup... the XTM505/Identity Engines/RSA box have nothing to do with plex... there are a lot of other servers under my control (hence all the network connections on the switch) all the plex stuff is on it's own VLAN and is going out the old Watchguard Firebox that is currently running pfSense...

all the FC connections are for my disk arrays and servers though so those are part of plex

as for where it came from, mostly ebay or decommissioned client equipment... a lot of really nice stuff has become super cheap due to large data centers upgrade cycles (except for drives, grrr <_< )

AntiTrust wrote on January 16 2014, 1:58 PM: »

@flecom - Are you just serving media for yourself, or are you sharing with multiple remote users? I've been tinkering with the thought of putting my servers in a COLO as well, but the cost of bandwidth usage is stopping me. 5TB of traffic appearently doesn't come cheap.

sharing with parents, some friends, and most importantly the owner of the colo facilities wife and kids lol :)

my bandwith is unmetered

• don.chuliodon.chulio Members, Plex Pass Posts: 225 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014
    @flecom
    Respect! I love the Xserve and his RAID Systems, its so beautiful!
  • - NaDs- NaDs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 506 Plex Pass
    Plex forums should do more competitions..would be abit of fun :)

I vote we should have a competition for best setup

With a vote poll deciding the winner

Suggestion...

People have one month to enter there setups

Winners could be rewarded with plex pass's or something else

Who can make this happen???