If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

simonjhogan's PLEX Client for LG Smart TV

Comments

• lleonelleone Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm not at home now so I cannot investigate further on my own tv but a friend of mine is reporting "404 file not found" on every file he tries to play ( .mp3, avi, .mkv ... ).   The strange is the app plays theme music when entering a serie.

His tv is a 32LN577S and he's trying to use the last release (picture uploaded)

L.

• Allan CameronAllan Cameron Posts: 508Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

Thanks, I really want to try this but it seems its stuck on loading in the bottom right corner.
    [attachment=23793:image.jpg]

However I took the updated files you offer and added files from the last time that were missing. Is this correct?

Would be a lot easier for all of us if you could just offer all files needed to run your app, the complete app package for everybody to download.

Then we could just copy your update onto USB and we would knowing we are not missing anything.

Thanks again :) really looking forward to giving this a try, looks beautiful.

Update:

I also can not get back to the IP screen you get first running it.

Even tried deleting all the files on the USB and reconnecting to TVs USB.. but still goes right to the "loading" screen you see.

• BobstaBobsta Posts: 51Members
    simonjhogan wrote on December 24 2013, 12:07 PM: »

New version released ... Happy holidays

Download from http://plex.h3consulting.net

Simon - Firstly, Merry Christmas - I guess it's Christmas morning for you around now - have a good one.

Unfortunately the new app is sitting in "Loading" state for me too.

I believe Simon has moved to a "hosted" app this time - the files you download to the TV are a minimal set of files which then go out to the Internet to pull down the app itself. Similar to the way nickbabenko's app has worked, this allows Simon to update (or remove) the app at will. Unfortunately it looks like the web server is down or incorrectly configured as it's not loading for any of us.

Another unrelated bug-ette for me is in the auto-detection. On my network at home here I run a subnet of 192.168.0.0/23 (i.e. mask 255.255.128.0) ... I put all my infrastructure devices on static IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range, and then have a DHCP server handing out addresses in the 192.168.2.x range for other devices. My TV therefore has a 192.168.2.x address and my Plex server is 192.168.1.4. For me, the scan fails to detect my server and I suspect that's cos the app notes the TV's IP as 192.168.2.something and therefore only scans 192.168.2.1 -> 192.168.2.254 - thereby missing my server. It would be good if the app could scan the entire subnet (as defined by the netmask) rather than assuming a /24 network and only scanning the range of addresses in the last octet.

Can't wait to try out the new app once the back-end is fixed. Thanks again Simon.

Bobsta 

Thanks Bobsta for explaining how the app files work, I will use only the new files and wait till the backend if fixed as you said.

This looks to be shaping up to be a fantastic plex client for our LG TV's. Can't wait to test it.

Have a good Christmas everyone :)

Thanks again simonjhogan!

• JsteltJstelt Posts: 23Members

Hi All,

I moved the app too my USB drive and plug it in to my LG 860v Smart TV. But then the app failed to start. There nothing there. What i'm i doing wrong?

Can somebody explain how to install the app? simply move it to usb and plug it in, or do i need to do something else.

thanks!

plex.png

Copyright © Simon J. Hogan | h3consulting, Australia | plex.h3consulting.net

edited December 2013

Do you have the correct dir set up on the usb?

Should be: on the root of the USB, lgapps/installed/196840

The 196840 is the folder you downloaded.

Allan68 wrote on December 24 2013, 7:39 PM: »

Yes it is. is it important to have the usb formated as FAT32?

plex.png

Allan68 wrote on December 24 2013, 7:39 PM: »

Got it! sorry for this but i wasnt logged in with my LG account.

thanks for your quick response. keep up the good work! love it!

plex.png

Glad to hear you got it working, me and others are stuck on the loading screen.

Allan68 wrote on December 24 2013, 8:21 PM: »

Glad to hear you got it working, me and others are stuck on the loading screen.

I was to fast. Plex app is starting but then it wont play any of my movie or music files. There is no PLAY button or anything. This is the first version i'm seeing so mabye im missing something.

plex.png

• simonjhogansimonjhogan Posts: 909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I all not sure what the issue is with people stuck on the loading screen. Can you provide more details? Is this after you put in an address for pms?the more details the better...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

playz.png

Copyright © Simon J. Hogan | Sith'ari Consulting, Australia | playz.sithari.com.au

edited December 2013
    If you press the play button on your remote while on the thumb for a movie or episode it will play, or use the play icon in the side bar ... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

playz.png

Copyright © Simon J. Hogan | Sith'ari Consulting, Australia | playz.sithari.com.au

Bobsta wrote:
    Simon - Firstly, Merry Christmas - I guess it's Christmas morning for you around now - have a good one.

I believe Simon has moved to a "hosted" app this time - the files you download to the TV are a minimal set of files which then go out to the Internet to pull down the app itself. Similar to the way nickbabenko's app has worked, this allows Simon to update (or remove) the app at will. Unfortunately it looks like the web server is down or incorrectly configured as it's not loading for any of us.

Another unrelated bug-ette for me is in the auto-detection. On my network at home here I run a subnet of 192.168.0.0/23 (i.e. mask 255.255.128.0) ... I put all my infrastructure devices on static IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range, and then have a DHCP server handing out addresses in the 192.168.2.x range for other devices. My TV therefore has a 192.168.2.x address and my Plex server is 192.168.1.4. For me, the scan fails to detect my server and I suspect that's cos the app notes the TV's IP as 192.168.2.something and therefore only scans 192.168.2.1 -> 192.168.2.254 - thereby missing my server. It would be good if the app could scan the entire subnet (as defined by the netmask) rather than assuming a /24 network and only scanning the range of addresses in the last octet.

Can't wait to try out the new app once the back-end is fixed. Thanks again Simon.

Bobsta

The app is packaged not hosted and is somewhat different from the previous version ... Not as many files in the package due to complete rewrite.

S

playz.png

Bobsta wrote:

Bobsta

Thanks for the feedback ... The scan feature is really only for users who know nothing about networks, which you appear to know more than enough about to just enter the pms ip/address

Cheers

S

playz.png

simonjhogan wrote on December 24 2013, 9:49 PM: »

If you press the play button on your remote while on the thumb for a movie or episode it will play, or use the play icon in the side bar ...

unfortunately it not playing when pressing the play button or use the play icon in the side bar. Is this because its mkv format? reading this isnt working (yet)?

plex.png

• BobstaBobsta Posts: 51Members
    simonjhogan wrote on December 24 2013, 9:48 PM: »

I all not sure what the issue is with people stuck on the loading screen. Can you provide more details? Is this after you put in an address for pms?the more details the better...

Hi Simon,

OK, on first load, the app loads and asks for IP address. Once I enter that and click through to what should be the main app, I just get an empty screen with "Loading" and an animated wheel in the bottom-right corner (same as the screenshot someone posted earlier). I left it for several minutes and eventually the screensaver kicks in, moving this blank loading screen around the screen - but it doesn't load.

If you quit the app and go back into it, it doesn't ask for an IP address... just jumps straight to the "Loading" screen.

Your previous version worked fine.

simonjhogan wrote on December 24 2013, 9:51 PM: »

The app is packaged not hosted and is somewhat different from the previous version ... Not as many files in the package due to complete rewrite.

S

Oops... thanks for the clarification. Incorrect guesswork on my part. :)

Thanks,

Bobsta

Quick fix v0.5.0.1 released for those with the loading issue ... I suspect it is because your PMS address is incorrect? This update checks if the server is responding on the address provided before loading the home screen.

http://plex.h3consulting.net

Cheers

playz.png

lleone wrote on December 24 2013, 1:44 PM: »

I'm not at home now so I cannot investigate further on my own tv but a friend of mine is reporting "404 file not found" on every file he tries to play ( .mp3, avi, .mkv ... ).   The strange is the app plays theme music when entering a serie.

His tv is a 32LN577S and he's trying to use the last release (picture uploaded)

L.

Thanks I discovered this myself late last night ... At present you can only hit the play button on an individual track or episode or movie (i.e not on a series or album) .... I hope to fix this in the next few days ...

Cheers,

S

playz.png

edited December 2013
    Jstelt wrote on December 24 2013, 10:08 PM: »

unfortunately it not playing when pressing the play button or use the play icon in the side bar. Is this because its mkv format? reading this isnt working (yet)?

Currently it only play file format supported by the TV ... mkv is listed as supported but it would depend on how they have been encoded ...

See the link below for supported formats ...

http://developer.lgappstv.com/TV_HELP/topic/lge.tvsdk.developing.book/html/Developing%20Web%20App/Developing%20Web%20App/Annex%20B%20Complete%20List%20of%20Supported%20Codecs%20and%20Containers.htm?path=1_2_1_5#_Toc358286402

My next mission is to get PLEX transcoding working.

Cheers,

S

playz.png

Bobsta wrote on December 24 2013, 11:16 PM: »

Hi Simon,
     OK, on first load, the app loads and asks for IP address. Once I enter that and click through to what should be the main app, I just get an empty screen with "Loading" and an animated wheel in the bottom-right corner (same as the screenshot someone posted earlier). I left it for several minutes and eventually the screensaver kicks in, moving this blank loading screen around the screen - but it doesn't load.
    If you quit the app and go back into it, it doesn't ask for an IP address... just jumps straight to the "Loading" screen.

Yes same here for me. I have no way of getting back to the IP screen to recheck my server IP.
    If I click the arrow bottom right and bring up the quick menu, none of the functions work on that menu including settings.
    I even tried deleting all the files on the thumb drive and putting on the files new again and I still don't get a prompt with the IP screen anymore, just goes straight to the loading screen again.