Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Arabic Subtitles

Arabic Subtitles not displaying correctly
Since this is the arabic Area, I don't know if this is the correct place. But I have some TV series with arabic subtitles, but it doesn't display correctly. Can you please help?

I have Mac OS 10.5.8
with Plex Version 0.8.2-1cda7a9

Regards,

Comments

• Sorry for the late reply. I had this problem, but it wouldn't show all the accents. Because there are so many.

OS X by default has a font. GEEZA PRO.

Settings | Video | Subtitles
    Select Geeza Pro as your font.
    Select Arabic (Windows) as the encoding.

If you have other fonts that'll work please share.
  • Hi, I have the same issue, and I've tried to use the a/m font and encoding, but it didn't work for me.
    Can you please help in this regards.
    Thanks
  • في الابل تي في ما يظهر الترجمة العربية
    احد لقى حل ؟
  • aaltameemiaaltameemi Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I have the same problem with Plex client: Samsung SmartTV. Here it is my post regarding this issue:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/66077-srt-subtitle-non-english-never-works-with-plex/

• mbtsmmbtsm Posts: 13 ✭✭

بالبوبكورن ماتقدر تشوف الترجمه 

الايفون نفس الشي 

بالباناسونيك عندي ماتقدر تشوف الترجمه مع العلم البوب كورن معروف يدعم الترجمه العربيه والباناسونيك vt50 

نفس الشي 

plex need to support  arabic subtites for iphone and panasonic vt50 

i hope to fixing 

• I have Sharp AQUOS lc-60le640x connected to windows 7 64bit and Plex Media server 0.9.8.18.290-11b7fdd  ,some movies won't disply and  the arabic subtitle won't appear at all   !!!

Is there is any furhter intention to solve those problems .

• bjaguar33bjaguar33 Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited August 2014

To show Arabic subtitles in Plex, you have to use UTF-8 encoding:

- Open the subtitle file using Notepad

- Click on "File" then "Save As..."

- Rename the file to be exactly as the movie file name + ar.srt (e.g moviefile.ar.srt)

- In Encoding drop-down list, choose "UTF-8"

- Save the file and replace/delete the old one.

• tomer1749tomer1749 Posts: 853 Plex Pass

Hey guys,

There was a problem with showing RTL subtitles in the last years .. In PMS 0.9.9.10 Hebrew (I'm hebrew speaker, not arabic) was fixed and now showing perfectly (Even when Plex don't know sub's language). Anyway, i guess it's fixing the arabic problems too cause we both RTL ..

• saeedkusaeedku Posts: 5
    tomer1749 wrote on September 28 2014, 7:21 PM: »

Hey guys,

There was a problem with showing RTL subtitles in the last years .. In PMS 0.9.9.10 Hebrew (I'm hebrew speaker, not arabic) was fixed and now showing perfectly (Even when Plex don't know sub's language). Anyway, i guess it's fixing the arabic problems too cause we both RTL ..

I tried the recent version of PLEX server, it display subtitle but in wired characters, seems something wrong in the font. I did not manage to change the subtitle font. any idea?

• MinaSabaMinaSaba Posts: 80
    saeedku wrote on April 9 2015, 12:50 AM: »

I tried the recent version of PLEX server, it display subtitle but in wired characters, seems something wrong in the font. I did not manage to change the subtitle font. any idea?

Make sure the subtitles file is encoded to UTF-8

• zezzzzzezzzz Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

I wrote a script to change all your arabic srt files inside a directory and all subdirectories under it to utf-8. this will fix your issue :)

install file & iconv

then create powershell script with the following and modify the path to match yours(don't forget to run powershell as administrator and to run # Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted):

Get-ChildItem -Force "Your Path to movies directory with the arabic subtitle" -Recurse -Include *.srt | ForEach-Object {
    $file1= $_.FullName ;
    $file2= $file1+'.utf' ;
    $d=$(.'C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin\file.exe' -b $file1);
    if($d -contains "ISO-8859 text, with CRLF line terminators")
    {
    echo $file1;
    .'C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin\iconv.exe' -f WINDOWS-1256 -t UTF-8 $file1 | Out-File -LiteralPath "$file2";
    Move-Item -force -LiteralPath $file2 -Destination $file1;
    }
    }

• AshusAshus Posts: 139 Plex Pass

This may have been an old post, but just for anyone who still has problems.

I find Subtitle Edit to be very effective!

it can do a batch conversion from any encoding to UTF-8
    Can also adjust any subtitles timing and in-sync with videos
    can also translate any language to arabic (by using google translate though)
    converts .sub.idx (Vobsub) subtitles to SRT

just install it, do a batch convert and throw in the folders with srt subtitles

• tamer252000tamer252000 Posts: 2

Dear Plex Team,

Any news about fixing arabic subtitles text encoding on plex.
    Any one can advice how I can fix the issue of not showing the arabic subtitles correctly on Mac

• AlmatrodiAlmatrodi Posts: 29 Plex Pass

لابد من تحويل ملف الترجمة إلى يوني كود

• AshusAshus Posts: 139 Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

@tamer252000 said:
    Dear Plex Team,

Any news about fixing arabic subtitles text encoding on plex.
    Any one can advice how I can fix the issue of not showing the arabic subtitles correctly on Mac

The problem isn't from Plex Team, the problem is from the users uploading their own arabic subtitles in different encodes that does not support arabic letters (such as ANSI).

However, UTF-8 does support arabic/hebrew/persian characters. This only applies to SRT (text based) subtitles.

Either changing it manually or automatic.

Manually:

• Open SRT by using Notepad (windows users use right-click---> open with..---> Notepad)
    • click File ----> Save As..----> then at the bottom right corner you will see Encoding next to Save or Cancel
    • Change the Encoding to UTF-8
    • Click Save.

Automatic:
    Use any program (Such as Subtitle Edit) and it can also batch convert multiple subtitles. Very easy.

EDIT:
    There is a user who created an Agent that auto converts all SRT subtitles on your plex into UTF-8. Just search for an agent called something like SRT2UTF8

EDIT2:
    Found the link:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/94864/rel-str2utf-8/p1#top

• eliekhawajaeliekhawaja Posts: 1

This is the bestttttt solution it works 100% download this free app from apple store
    this is the link :wink: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shpersian-subtitle-fixer/id1060827180?mt=12