Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Changes in the 2.8.2 update (now available)

schuylerschuyler Plex Dev TeamPosts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I'm very pleased to share that the official channel has had its 2.8.2 update approved by Roku and is now available in the channel store! The main purpose of this release was to support the new remote control features that were introduced as part of the Chromecast release. You can now use Plex on a variety of your other devices to control Plex on your Roku in a much richer way.

This release also includes some changes to better align the Roku channel with the rest of our official clients. Specifically:

• PlexPass users get early access. The [topic=53331]PlexTest[/topic] channel is now primarily available to PlexPass users.
  • NEW USERS ONLY - The official channel will be available for free in the channel store and comes with a 30-day free trial. After the trial period expires, the channel will always be free for PlexPass users, or can be fully unlocked by making a small one-time in-channel purchase. So, to recap: PlexPass users always get the channel as part of their subscription; non-PlexPass users get a 30-day free trial and can choose to permanently unlock the channel with a one-time purchase.
  • Existing users will continue to get the channel for free. Your Roku account has essentially been gifted the in-channel purchase. And Roku in-channel purchases are per-account, not per-device. So even if you go out and buy a new Roku, as long as you link it to your same account, you'll get the full channel for free.

The 2.8.2 update is currently only available on Roku's running version 5.x of the firmware. The first-gen devices will not receive the update. Why? To be perfectly honest, we just couldn't get the update approved for older devices before Roku's holiday freeze. It will hopefully become available early in the new year, and PlexPass users can use the PlexTest channel. Or who knows, maybe Santa will bring you a Roku 3. It really is a nice upgrade over the old hardware.

Take the new remote control features for a spin and let us know what you think!

Comments

• jbaconbitsjbaconbits Posts: 157Members ✭✭
    I like the new icon.
  • ApplemediacenterApplemediacenter Posts: 299Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do you think the Plex for Roku will every have a grid feature.  Instead of a row of movies

•  
  • schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    1975jamie wrote on December 20 2013, 1:40 AM: »

Do you think the Plex for Roku will every have a grid feature.  Instead of a row of movies

Ever? Yes. But how exactly it happens depends on a few things, including an updated SDK from Roku. So I don't have a timeline that I can share.

• Allan CameronAllan Cameron Posts: 497Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    1975jamie wrote on December 20 2013, 1:40 AM: »

•  

You can have that by using this

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/79897-rarflix-modified-roku-channel/

• JamminRJamminR Plexhibitionist Posts: 2,410Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Commercialization makes me sad.

I'd say more, but it would serve little purpose, and the lump in my throat makes it difficult to describe my feelings towards this announcement.

• xphilexphile Posts: 20Members
    JamminR wrote on December 20 2013, 3:48 AM: »

I'd say more, but it would serve little purpose, and the lump in my throat makes it difficult to describe my feelings towards this announcement.

+1000000

Just to confirm:

I made my initial Plex Roku purchase last year, and my app has NOT updated since. I noticed the new update, before I read this post actually or I would have NEVER installed it. I was forced to remove the channel and re-add if I wanted 2.8(hoping for a new slick UI). Under adv settings I can see that my app is listed under the "trial period". Does this mean that I will need to make a purchase in 30 days? I am an original subscriber like you listed so that means Im grandfathered in right? But why does it say that my app is "trial"?

Seriously, what are you guys doing here? You're trying to force plexpass on people that don't need NOR want it. With the chromecast debacle(yes, debacle) and now this.. you're essentially forcing people the pay for a solution that you guys always offered as free! I think it may be time to tune up the raspberry pi and say goodbye to Plex if this is the case.

• pfupfu Posts: 25Members
    JamminR wrote on December 20 2013, 3:48 AM: »

Are you referring to the IAP for new users after the trial? I don't see a problem with this if it's just a few bucks, just like the Android app was already.
  • pfupfu Posts: 25Members
    xphile wrote on December 20 2013, 3:56 AM: »

+1000000

Just to confirm:
    I made my initial Plex Roku purchase last year, and my app has NOT updated since. I noticed the new update, before I read this post actually or I would have NEVER installed it. I was forced to remove the channel and re-add if I wanted 2.8(hoping for a new slick UI). Under adv settings I can see that my app is listed under the "trial period". Does this mean that I will need to make a purchase in 30 days? I am an original subscriber like you listed so that means Im grandfathered in right? But why does it say that my app is "trial"?

Seriously, what are you guys doing here? You're trying to force plexpass on people that don't need NOR want it. With the chromecast debacle(yes, debacle) and now this.. you're essentially forcing people the pay for a solution that you guys always offered as free! I think it may be time to tune up the raspberry pi and say goodbye to Plex if this is the case.

PlexPass is not required, just a one time fee like the mobile apps already were. And if you already had the mobile apps, what is the debacle with Chromecast? It's included, also without PlexPass.
    edited December 2013
    user wrote on December 20 2013, 4:01 AM: »

PlexPass is not required, just a one time fee like the mobile apps already were. And if you already had the mobile apps, what is the debacle with Chromecast? It's included, also without PlexPass.

1. This is what im trying to confirm, is there a fee for new users and existing or just new? Ive had the channel for a year, and so have thousands. You don't just starting charging for something you gave away as free for a year. Thats bullshit.

2. What debacle? Really dude? You can't use the app + chromecast unless you're a plexpass subscriber at this point, unless something major changed within the past 45 or so seconds....

EDIT: Since it was 5 dollars I gave it a shot and what do you know, I was charged. I was an existing app customer and was chaged. Good job Plex. Schulyer, Please feel fee to elaborate on why I was changed and when you will be refunding my 5 dollhairs?!?!

• JamminRJamminR Plexhibitionist Posts: 2,410Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

Xphile, since you removed it and added it back, it's likely it considers you 'new'.

You should have been patient, and let it update on it's own.

Just my theory. Did you look in your my.roku.com applications list to see if "Plex" was even listed there yet before 'buying' it yet again?

Though I'm not happy with the commercialization of Plex and Roku, that doesn't mean I think one should be rude and impatient.

You're money is still going towards a great product, as disappointing as I find it for those who didn't get the chance to experience it for free and be grandfathered in (which, honestly, Plex didn't even have to do)

JamminR wrote on December 20 2013, 4:44 AM: »

Xphile, since you removed it and added it back, it's likely it considers you 'new'.

Just my theory. Did you look in your my.roku.com applications list to see if "Plex" was even listed there yet before 'buying' it yet again?

Though I'm not happy with the commercialization of Plex and Roku, that doesn't mean I think one should be rude and impatient.

You're money is still going towards a great product, as disappointing as I find it for those who didn't get the chance to experience it for free and be grandfathered in (which, honestly, Plex didn't even have to do)

I added it back initially, before the purchase. It was in my applications list and prior purchases(original purchase) before I went to purchase it through in-app. Prior to updating, the plex app on the roku was the oly 2.6 app, and it looks like there were some incremental updates that weren't pushed(so a removal of channel was required).

I have never seen such a horribly laid out process for an application. I went through this "purchase" assuming that it would see from my prior purchase(a year ag) and not run the actual charge. It did, and a case was filed with both Roku and the merchent(Im really not going to rely on Plex) based on principal as I could really care less about 5 dollars. I really like the product but not so much what the members of the projet are doing.

Say what you will, but if you have used this software from the get you know that they have been putting in more and more charges to a project application. When the Plex team begins to start supporting the software like a real product(hmmm.. how about regression testing!) then they can start charging fee's.

edited December 2013
    JamminR wrote on December 20 2013, 4:44 AM: »

yay for fourm problems..... double post here too

• pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have to admit, this makes it less likely I will recommend Roku's anymore to my friends to use with Plex going forward. I've "sold" 15 of them over the last year on my recommendation. The free Plex app was always a big selling point in convincing them to spend the money on a Roku. But I do understand the need for revenue, so I don't blame them for making it a paid app now. I imagine they'll eventually make all the various clients "paid apps". Oh well...

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,317Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited December 2013
    xphile wrote on December 20 2013, 4:09 AM: »

1. This is what im trying to confirm, is there a fee for new users and existing or just new? Ive had the channel for a year, and so have thousands. You don't just starting charging for something you gave away as free for a year. Thats bullshit.

2. What debacle? Really dude? You can't use the app + chromecast unless you're a plexpass subscriber at this point, unless something major changed within the past 45 or so seconds....

EDIT: Since it was 5 dollars I gave it a shot and what do you know, I was charged. I was an existing app customer and was chaged. Good job Plex. Schulyer, Please feel fee to elaborate on why I was changed and when you will be refunding my 5 dollhairs?!?!

I'll copy back what Schuyler said in his initial post (emphasis mine): "Existing users will continue to get the channel for free. Your Roku account has essentially been gifted the in-channel purchase. And Roku in-channel purchases are per-account, not per-device. So even if you go out and buy a new Roku, as long as you link it to your same account, you'll get the full channel for free."

The intent isn't (and never will be) to take anything away.

Now, you were an existing user who decided to make the in-app purchase anyway. This shouldn't be possible, and won't be soon (there's some backend stuff that Roku is working on). In the meantime, if you send me an email (elan at plexpass) I'll personally PayPal you your $5 back.

I'm not sure why you're using the word "debacle" with the Chromecast. It was a brand new feature we added to apps which had existed for years. We decided to allow our PlexPass users to preview the feature for a while (a privilege they pay us for), and everyone else will get it for free after that. Debacle? Seems a bit excessive :)

• hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Posts: 440Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think it is sad. Rarflix is 100 times better than regular plex channel. Regular plex channel never gets updated with almost anything so why charge? Rarflix updates almost everyday and just donations. Go figure,  but sounds like a stupid decision. 

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,317Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    pruitt62 wrote on December 20 2013, 5:20 AM: »

I have to admit, this makes it less likely I will recommend Roku's anymore to my friends to use with Plex going forward. I've "sold" 15 of them over the last year on my recommendation. The free Plex app was always a big selling point in convincing them to spend the money on a Roku. But I do understand the need for revenue, so I don't blame them for making it a paid app now. I imagine they'll eventually make all the various clients "paid apps". Oh well...

Most of the other clients are already paid apps :)

The flagship Plex Home Theater is, and will always be free (and open source, of course).

We want this company to survive and keep growing and making amazing media software for you (as well as making the existing software better and better), and yes, that requires revenue :)

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited January 2014

Elan beat me to the main point I wanted to clarify. The grandfathering of existing accounts isn't something we can do ourselves. I thought it was already done, but it obviously isn't complete yet. We're working with some folks at Roku to get that resolved ASAP.

Update: Roku accounts that had previously used the app should now be "grandfathered" in.

xphile - I honestly can't follow some of your complaints, but I'm happy to discuss them. All updates get pushed out by Roku automatically. There's no way you could have installed the channel last year and never seen an update until today. (Unless your Roku weren't on the network, but then you wouldn't have gotten today's update.) And you say you "purchased" Plex on your Roku a year ago, but there was nothing to purchase. And removing the channel on the Roku is never required in order to install an update. So I'm definitely not understanding the full sequence of events you described.

hackztor@gmail.com wrote on December 20 2013, 5:57 AM: »

I think it is sad. Rarflix is 100 times better than regular plex channel. Regular plex channel never gets updated with almost anything so why charge? Rarflix updates almost everyday and just donations. Go figure,  but sounds like a stupid decision. 

We just added a giant update to make the remote control work much, much better, and we'll continue to enhance the app!

• mjbxxmjbxx Dedicated Member Posts: 920Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

I have no problems with the new update and the so called "commercialization" of Plex. What really concerns me is possibilty that Plex may at some point shut down the open source nature of its Roku app to developers like Ijunkie and his RARflix channel. Not saying this will ever happen but I would appreciate clarity from Plex. He has done great work and I would not be happy at all to see the channel eliminated. And it really is great to see elan give the Roku Streaming Players Forum some love and attention.  

mjbxx wrote on December 20 2013, 6:39 AM: »

I have no problems with the new update and the so called "commercialization" of Plex. What really concerns me is possibilty that Plex may at some point shut down the open source nature of its Roku app to developers like Ijunkie and his RARflix channel. Not saying this will ever happen but I would appreciate clarity from Plex. He has done great work and I would not be happy at all to see the channel eliminated. And it really is great to see elan give the Roku Streaming Players Forum some love and attention.  

There are no plans to change the fact that the Roku client is open source.