Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

My plex connection via a Cisco ASA firewall not working

lewisgouldenlewisgoulden Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Hi

Im having problems connecting to my plex via a cisco ASA;

what exact ports do i need to open to what locations ?

what protocols are used and is there a range of multicast ports used or anything like that ?

Comments

• psyloxpsylox Members, Plex Pass Posts: 55

Hi Lewisgoulden

I have only TCP port 32400 open, pointing to my plex server 192.168.1.50
    Nothing more

- Win 7 64bit

- CPU Intel core 2 Duo CPU P9600 @ 2.53GHz x 2

- Storage Unlimited (bitcasa) 

- iPad 3 x2

- Several other iOS devices in-house

- Roku 3 < imported from the US

- Samsung 55" smart TV with Plexapp

• lewisgouldenlewisgoulden Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
    psylox wrote on December 21 2013, 8:14 PM: »

Hi Lewisgoulden

I have only TCP port 32400 open, pointing to my plex server 192.168.1.50
    Nothing more

This is strange, i have done this along with the DLNA ports used captured with a port mirror, please can you post ur FW config ? also specify software version on firewall. 

kind regards

• mtehonicamtehonica Members, Plex Pass Posts: 239 Plex Pass

Were you ever able to get this resolved on your ASA?  I'm having the same problem.  

• gunnett@gmail.comgunnett@gmail.com Members Posts: 4

I also am having the same issue with an ASA5505

I am even able to run a web based port scanner and see 32400 is open. If I take the same server to a home network, it works just fine.

This issue I end up having was that Plex will only look for port 32400 on the outgoing ip address. Use whatsmyip.org to find this out, since my firewall has several ips this was an issue and on top of that I had a dual wan link balancer so that was the most outward facing ip address. Once I was able to forward from that ip to the plex, I was fine.

• RhayaderRhayader Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Hey Guys - I was seeing a similar issue, I had port 32400 all set up for port forwarding on my Cisco ASA, and yet no connectivity to my Plex server externally.  Looking around ASDM, I noticed that the ASA was not showing any "hits" for this access rule, whereas the other ones I'd set up (for example RDP and HTTP) were showing hits as expected.

Believe it or not, what got this working for me was going into my Plex server settings, and selecting the  "Manually Specify Port" option.  I did not change the actual port number - I left it at 32400 - but as soon as I made this change, the settings screen indicated remote access was now working, and sure enough the Cisco ASDM interface started showing hits for this access rule.

Anyway, hope that helps, it's a quick thing to try if you are seeing similar issues.

• DIFSDIFS Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    edited June 2015

I cannot connect to Plex outside of my house. I enabled the internal and external ports also Upnp and NAT and it still says remote access is unavailable. I have a Cisco Linksys E2500 router. I also disabled both firewalls. I am a newbie and not very tech savy so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Jan-PhilippJan-Philipp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

After setting up the NAT and port rules as well as port forwarding rules in my cable modem/router, which I cannot switch into bridge mode, I also could not access Plex at TCP 32400. However, I tried Rhayader's advice and checked the manual box when specifying port 32400 in Plex. I had to hit retry twice but then my Plex server was accessible from the outside again.

Thanks Rhayader!

My Cisco ASA is a 5506-X running ASA 9.5(2) and ASDM 7.6(1).

• cdaraiscdarais Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

I know this is an old thread but can someone post all the config they are using for their PMS in the cisco firewall? I can't get mine to work. I have an asa 5506-x

• evanwevanw Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Here is my config from a 5506-X running ASA version 9.5(2) and using ASDM version 7.5(2).

I can post the CLI config too if you'd like. Pretty simple config. Add a Network Object for your Plex server, configure NAT and then an Access Rule to allow the traffic inbound.

So i did that if i manually specify the port it shows
    Private :32400 <- Public <ip>:32400 'X' Internet
    and if i let it choose it doesn't even make it out. I followed what you did in my asdm.
    I have 9.6(1) and asdm 7.6(1)

• ShadowVirusShadowVirus Members Posts: 1

You may have figured out your issue with Plex, but I thought that I would chime in. For me personally, Plex says that the server is unable to access the internet, but it actually can. I'm using a Cisco ASA 5505 and I have no port forwarding of any sort setup. (At least to my knowledge. I'm a noob at Cisco stuff.) I was playing around with all sorts of setting but nothing worked so I reverted back to normal. Turns out that I could still access the server externally. On 4G my phone connected even though it says it wouldn't work! Does anyone know what this means or is it just a bug?

That is working using their relay service. Which means the limit anything with that server to 2 Mgb/s i believe. Where if you get it to have direct access you'll have whatever internet upload speed you have at your house as your limit

• acilliacilli Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

@ShadowVirus said:
    You may have figured out your issue with Plex, but I thought that I would chime in. For me personally, Plex says that the server is unable to access the internet, but it actually can. I'm using a Cisco ASA 5505 and I have no port forwarding of any sort setup. (At least to my knowledge. I'm a noob at Cisco stuff.) I was playing around with all sorts of setting but nothing worked so I reverted back to normal. Turns out that I could still access the server externally. On 4G my phone connected even though it says it wouldn't work! Does anyone know what this means or is it just a bug?

Appears to be a cosmetic bug. Mine is showing the same thing, but I've verified it's working from outside my network perfectly fine. Tried disabling/reenabling remote access, tried messing with the NAT rules on the firewall a bit, and I've tried with and without the port manually set - but nothing seems to phase it. Not sure what steps the Remote Access verification takes behind the scenes in order for me to troubleshoot further, but it's at least working for me off-net despite the error.

-Tony

• niknok236niknok236 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited June 9

I have the same issue as well, I am able to access my local server from outside but Plex is not finding it. I enable manual port 32400 as what stated here but with no success.

It's working now.....

• drinehartdrinehart Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,130 Plex Pass

Something to check - geoip filtering. Plex will appear to be coming from the Ireland AWS datacenter most likely. If you disallow Ireland, it may appear to work for you from the outside, but will fail the remote access check from Plex itself.