If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Windows specific instructions for creating and installing the SSL cert

12345679»

Answers

• mcewanc2mcewanc2 Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Hi all,

I seek some assistance. I don't know where I've gone wrong. I've followed the guide from http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/ to which I've seen a few people reference. I got to the bit where it says "PLEX CONNECT NEEDS SOME NEW STUFF". So this is where I've hit a wall.

I'm unsure if I'm updating my settings.cfg and/or plexconnect.py. So here's what I've got;

Apple TV I.P address: 192.168.0.14

DNS: 192.168.0.1

PC IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Settings.cfg

[PlexConnect]
    logpath = .
    enable_dnsserver = True
    ip_webserver = 0.0.0.0             <== Should this be something?
    prevent_atv_update = True
    port_dnsserver = 53
    enable_plexconnect_autodetect = True
    port_pms = 32400
    port_webserver = 80
    ip_plexconnect = 0.0.0.0
    certfile = c:\trailers.pem            <== Where my cert sits
    ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8            <== Should this be something?
    loglevel = Normal
    ip_pms = 192.168.0.1              <== is this right?
    enable_plexgdm = True
    port_ssl = 443

Plexconnect.py

(attached as zip file)

Error in output

PlexConnect : ***
    PlexConnect : PlexConnect
    PlexConnect : Press ENTER to shut down.
    PlexConnect : ***
    PlexConnect : IP_self: 192.168.0.2
    PlexGDM : ***
    PlexGDM : looking up Plex Media Server
    PlexGDM : ***
    PlexGDM : servers discovered: 1
    PlexConnect : PMS: 192.168.0.2:32400
    DNSServer : ***
    DNSServer : Starting up.
    DNSServer : intercept trailers.apple.com: 192.168.0.2
    DNSServer : forward other to higher level DNS: 8.8.8.8
    DNSServer : ***
    WebServer : ***
    WebServer : WebServer: Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 80.
    WebServer : ***
    DNSServer : DNS request received!
    DNSServer : Source: ('192.168.0.14', 58658)
    DNSServer : Domain: ax.init.itunes.apple.com
    DNSServer : ***forward request
    DNSServer : -> DNS response from higher level
    DNSServer : Source: ('192.168.0.14', 63980)
    DNSServer : Domain: itunes.apple.com
    DNSServer : ***forward request
    DNSServer : -> DNS response from higher level
    DNSServer : Source: ('192.168.0.14', 55273)
    DNSServer : Domain: a4.mzstatic.com

etc..etc..

Anyone able to assist me please?

• f00b4rf00b4r Posts: 2,885Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Use our wiki guides please.
    The ATV's DNS should point to your PC running PlexConnect.
    You should not be editing PlexConnect.py at all, if you have done so throw everything away and start again!

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

Wiki: click here

How to report an issue: click here

Github (download the app): click here

Donations (Paypal): [US-$], [EUR]

Do not alter settings.cfg unless you have to - you have also put the wrong IP in for your PMS, you should not need to alter this as it is finding it automatically.

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

• TrustedSamuraiTrustedSamurai Posts: 1Members

Hi,

you mention adding the certificate to a folder called 'assets'.  any tips on where this might be?  I've tried installing Plex a number of times now on two separate machines and neither have a folder by this name in it.

also, people are referring to a config file.  what is the name of this file and where is it located?  maybe I can configure it with the location of my cert file.

thanks,

john.

Plex is the server and PlexConnect is the client, you need both.<br />The certs folder is in the PlexConnect folder (under assets I think).

• shanebroeskyshanebroesky Posts: 4Members

Hello,

I was hoping someone wouldn't mind helping me out.  I have spent quite a few hours stuck on a portion of the install and cannot seem to get any further.

I have made sure i followed the instructions for windows in the tutorial.

When running PlexConnect.py this is as far as CMD will go, any ideas?

01:48:54 PlexConnect: ***
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: PlexConnect
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Press CTRL-C to shut down.
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: started: 01:48:54
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Version: 0.3
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Python: 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500
     32 bit (Intel)]
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Host OS: win32
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: IP_self: 192.168.1.76
    01:48:55 DNSServer: started: 01:48:55
    01:48:55 DNSServer: ***
    01:48:55 DNSServer: DNSServer: Serving DNS on 192.168.1.76 port 53.
    01:48:55 DNSServer: intercept: => 192.168.1.76
    01:48:55 DNSServer: restrain: ['mesu.apple.com', 'appldnld.apple.com', 'appldnld
    .apple.com.edgesuite.net'] => 127.0.0.1
    01:48:55 DNSServer: forward other to higher level DNS: 8.8.8.8
    01:48:55 WebServer: started: 01:48:55
    01:48:55 WebServer: ***
    01:48:55 WebServer: WebServer: Serving HTTP on 192.168.1.76 port 80.
    01:48:55 WebServer: WebServer: Serving HTTPS on 192.168.1.76 port 443.

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.
  • drewbiedrewbie Posts: 1,121Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    shanebroesky wrote on December 26 2013, 9:52 AM: »

Hello,

I was hoping someone wouldn't mind helping me out.  I have spent quite a few hours stuck on a portion of the install and cannot seem to get any further.

I have made sure i followed the instructions for windows in the tutorial.

When running PlexConnect.py this is as far as CMD will go, any ideas?

01:48:54 PlexConnect: PlexConnect
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Press CTRL-C to shut down.
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: started: 01:48:54
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Version: 0.3
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Python: 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500
     32 bit (Intel)]
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: Host OS: win32
    01:48:54 PlexConnect: IP_self: 192.168.1.76
    01:48:55 DNSServer: started: 01:48:55
    01:48:55 DNSServer: DNSServer: Serving DNS on 192.168.1.76 port 53.
    01:48:55 DNSServer: intercept: => 192.168.1.76
    01:48:55 DNSServer: restrain: ['mesu.apple.com', 'appldnld.apple.com', 'appldnld
    .apple.com.edgesuite.net'] => 127.0.0.1
    01:48:55 DNSServer: forward other to higher level DNS: 8.8.8.8
    01:48:55 WebServer: WebServer: Serving HTTP on 192.168.1.76 port 80.
    01:48:55 WebServer: WebServer: Serving HTTPS on 192.168.1.76 port 443.

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.

This looks like it is working, can you provide all information from the "Read Before Posting" sticky thread (and even start your own thread), but detai8ls of your actual issue would help.

The log you provide shows plexconnect starting as it is designed, but no contact form the ATV, so what do you see on the ATV?

• shanebroeskyshanebroesky Posts: 4Members
    drewbie wrote on December 26 2013, 10:02 AM: »

This looks like it is working, can you provide all information from the "Read Before Posting" sticky thread (and even start your own thread), but detai8ls of your actual issue would help.

The log you provide shows plexconnect starting as it is designed, but no contact form the ATV, so what do you see on the ATV?

I apologize, i have posted as new thread.  thank you.

• plex4uplex4u Posts: 77Members ✭✭

Thank you for the instructions. Worked first time. Made my ATV3 Xmas present even better.

• namitutonkanamitutonka Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    Gdowler wrote on September 1 2013, 8:37 PM: »

@ Rob I could be wrong but I think your cert path is off

"certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem"

I believe the ./ denotes an IOS path whereas these instructions are specific to Windows

Try changing it to certfile = c:/assets/certificates/trailers.pem

But even that might be off. You want to make sure that this path points towards directly to the file. For instance I have Plex Connect installed right in my C:/ drive so my path looks like

certfile = C:PlexConnect/assets/certificates/trailers.pem

Good luck!

I have Windows 7, would this work?

certfile = C:\Program Files (x86)\PlexConnect\assets\certificates\trailers.pem       This is my trailers.pem file location.

Would the Windows 'backward slashes' (\) work rather than 'forward slashes' (/)?

• drewbiedrewbie Posts: 1,121Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    The python code will work out which slashes are required by the operating system
  • namitutonkanamitutonka Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    drewbie wrote on January 10 2014, 3:02 AM: »

The python code will work out which slashes are required by the operating system

Hmm..? OK, so this way instead:
    certfile = C:/Program Files (x86)/PlexConnect/assets/certificates/trailers.pem

Thanks for responding by the way.

• Visor4Visor4 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Hi 2600Sam,

Thanks for your instructions, however they are in dire need of updating and fixing.  Using your instructions, I've managed to set up everything except for the Apple TV itself (it's at my girlfriend's and I'll set up that portion this weekend).  That said, I've already encountered a fair share of difficulty trying to understand your instructions, and I shouldn't have to search through 9 pages of this thread in an attempt to find answers. :P  Here are the issues I've encountered so far:

1. Not really an issue but more of an observation: the Light version of OpenSSL seems to work properly for creating the certificates, so you should be okay to recommend it.
    2. There are 2 lines that are very cryptic and ultimately unnecessary, i.e.: "in windows explorer navigate to the directory and LEFT click... etc. ...press the shift key and RIGHT click... etc."  You're just looking to run the batch file, which can be accomplished by simply double-clicking on the .bat file.  You don't need to be in a particular directory before running the batch file because the file contents already point to absolute locations (with exception to the incorrect directory naming conventions that I will mention in the next point below).
    3. The cert.create.bat file refers to directory names that have periods before the subfolder (e.g. C:.\trailers.key).  Windows directories aren't named this way.  This should be changed to C:\trailers.key.  Ironically, the original link that you referred to from the langui.sh site has the correct directory naming convention, so I'm not sure why you went out of your way to change it?
    4. For the statement: "before the batch file finished it will run the trailers.der one of the 3 files that was just created", please correct the grammar and add brackets for the last part so that the statement is much easier to understand, i.e. "before the batch file finishes, it will run the trailers.der file (i.e. one of the 3 files that was just created)".
    5. "Your Cert directory should have 5-6 files now".  No it won't, because your batch file instructed the trailers files to be created in the root of C:\ (assuming you first take out the periods I mentioned in point #3).  If you really want the files to appear in the Cert directory, you'll have to update the batch file to reflect this, and instruct the users to create a directory that exactly matches what's listed in your batch file.
    6. "go to the assets directory and create a directory called certificates there".  This directory already exists.
    7. "Give it a Name and Identifier" - Does the Identifier have to be in the format com.<whatever>.profile?  I named mine com.appletv.profile and it seems to have worked, but I just want to be sure.

That's all I have for now.  When I load up the certificate on the Apple TV this weekend I'll let you know if there should be any other updates made.

Cheers,

Visor

• 2600Sam2600Sam Posts: 12Members
    edited January 2014 Accepted Answer
    Visor4 wrote on January 17 2014, 6:23 PM: »

Hi 2600Sam,

Thanks for your instructions, however they are in dire need of updating and fixing.  Using your instructions, I've managed to set up everything except for the Apple TV itself (it's at my girlfriend's and I'll set up that portion this weekend).  That said, I've already encountered a fair share of difficulty trying to understand your instructions, and I shouldn't have to search through 9 pages of this thread in an attempt to find answers. :P  Here are the issues I've encountered so far:

1. Not really an issue but more of an observation: the Light version of OpenSSL seems to work properly for creating the certificates, so you should be okay to recommend it.
    2. There are 2 lines that are very cryptic and ultimately unnecessary, i.e.: "in windows explorer navigate to the directory and LEFT click... etc. ...press the shift key and RIGHT click... etc."  You're just looking to run the batch file, which can be accomplished by simply double-clicking on the .bat file.  You don't need to be in a particular directory before running the batch file because the file contents already point to absolute locations (with exception to the incorrect directory naming conventions that I will mention in the next point below).
    3. The cert.create.bat file refers to directory names that have periods before the subfolder (e.g. C:.\trailers.key).  Windows directories aren't named this way.  This should be changed to C:\trailers.key.  Ironically, the original link that you referred to from the langui.sh site has the correct directory naming convention, so I'm not sure why you went out of your way to change it?
    4. For the statement: "before the batch file finished it will run the trailers.der one of the 3 files that was just created", please correct the grammar and add brackets for the last part so that the statement is much easier to understand, i.e. "before the batch file finishes, it will run the trailers.der file (i.e. one of the 3 files that was just created)".
    5. "Your Cert directory should have 5-6 files now".  No it won't, because your batch file instructed the trailers files to be created in the root of C:\ (assuming you first take out the periods I mentioned in point #3).  If you really want the files to appear in the Cert directory, you'll have to update the batch file to reflect this, and instruct the users to create a directory that exactly matches what's listed in your batch file.
    6. "go to the assets directory and create a directory called certificates there".  This directory already exists.
    7. "Give it a Name and Identifier" - Does the Identifier have to be in the format com.<whatever>.profile?  I named mine com.appletv.profile and it seems to have worked, but I just want to be sure.

That's all I have for now.  When I load up the certificate on the Apple TV this weekend I'll let you know if there should be any other updates made.

Cheers,

Visor

1. Updated

2. Those are Win7 specific (updated to reflect this) : see point 3 below

3. Maybe you should read up on batch file programing.....using C:.\name keeps it in the current directory (usually where ever the bat file was run) so that it can be executed in any directory anywhere and people won't have to use my archaic or complex directory naming system. Using C:\name would place the files in the root directory. I wanted to make it simple for people to use.

4. grammer **** much (this obviously annoys you and that make me happy so it stays)

5. reread point #3

6. at the time this was written that directory did not exits it does now (updated)

7. did you see the picture "enter something" maybe it should say "enter anything" it doesn't matter, I called mine PlexConnect-Fix and it still works!!

Sam

Guys I am planning on closing this thread and updating the first post to point to our wiki pages, I think it is better that we have one consistent 'source of truth', things have moved on a bit since this thread started and there are a lot of pages (including a lot of outdated info) for new users to wade through.
    Can you let me know if you believe there should be an changes or additions to the windows guide on the wiki please.
    Oh and thank you for all the hep you have given users (almost all of the PlexConnect team run OSX as their main OS).

• mattduguidmattduguid Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass

Instructions from https://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/ worked perfectly on 3 x Apple TV's, most time spent generating certificates ~5 mins, upload to each device about 30 seconds.

• plex4uplex4u Posts: 77Members ✭✭
    f00b4r wrote on January 18 2014, 1:53 PM: »

Guys I am planning on closing this thread and updating the first post to point to our wiki pages, I think it is better that we have one consistent 'source of truth', things have moved on a bit since this thread started and there are a lot of pages (including a lot of outdated info) for new users to wade through.
    Can you let me know if you believe there should be an changes or additions to the windows guide on the wiki please.
    Oh and thank you for all the hep you have given users (almost all of the PlexConnect team run OSX as their main OS).

But I found this guide better to follow and understand then the content outlined on the wiki. Nice pictures. ;-)

And when I mention wiki,  I mean this one: https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki/Install-Guide-Windows

Regards.

• JoshuaCook1217JoshuaCook1217 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Looked everywhere for help! Been at this for hours..

I can create the certs trailers.pem and trailers key file..but the 2nd one I am having trouble with.

C:\>C:\OpenSSL-Win32\bin\openssl.exe x509 -in C:.\trailers.pem -outform der -out
     C:.\trailers.der
    WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf

Any ideas? Running XP (I'm ancient)