If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo with Plex Media Server

Comments

• GaryTGaryT Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    tony gong wrote on October 30 2014, 9:38 PM: »

Hi Gary. Unfortantly on reboot the terastation is stuck on initialize sata 3channel. I will have to try and see if I can install the original firmware somehow. If you have any advice it would be much appricated. Many thanks in advance

Hi Tony,

Were you able to restore your TeraStation in the end? There are a few advanced descriptions on how you can do it, if the firmware in itself was not enough. I was looking at this one, it seems to have some good idea regarding TFTP booting.

Regards,

- GaryT

• wormslugwormslug Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Thanks for this GaryT.

I have just updated my LS-WXL all seems fine so far!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks wormslug, that's very good to hear. I've just released a new version with PMS 0.9.11, if you are interested, you can update to that. It should keep your current Plex database intact.

• tomcat123tomcat123 Posts: 1Members

Hello Gary,

can i use the firmware also for LS200DE ?

Thomas

edited December 2014

Hi tomcat123,

Unfortunately the Linkstation 200 series use a newer ARMv7 processor that Plex does not support yet. Even after they start supporting it, I will have to create a separate firmware for those devices as they use a different (newer) firmware than the older Linkstation series.

So, in short, no, this custom firmware does not support the Linkstation 200 series. :(

Regards,

- GaryT

• Hammer01Hammer01 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Gary - Like the last guy but I have to ask- this is compatible with the LS420?  Or am I in the same boat at the 200?  Thanks - 

Hi Hammer01,

Same boat, unfortunately, both the LS200 and LS400 Series have a never ARMv7 processor. First Plex has to support that processor type, then we can create a firmware for it.

- GaryT

• Hammer01Hammer01 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks Gary - that's what I thought - I've got 2 TBs worth of movies/video on my Buffalo and no way of watching them on the Roku platform.  I use WD Live TV right now but there hasn't been a firmware refresh in months and the hardware is getting slow.  I'm looking to move away from the WD platform.  Thanks.

Hi Hammer01,

Don't throw the WD Live TV out yet. I have several Rokus and the problem with them is that they have a very limited audio/video decoder. This means that if you host an MP4 file in H.264 codec (and AAC audio), then the Roku will be able to play it through Plex (or any other supported Media Player). But if your file is an AVI with xvid or x.264 with an MP3 audio, you are out of luck, your Roku will not be able to decode it. Although the interface of the WD TV might seem slow, its video decoder is able to deal with a whole lot of file formats that newer media players cannot deal with. (Netflix, YouTube and the others all use file formats that the Roku supports.) (And the Roku stick has a slow interface too.)

The current Linkstation version of Plex cannot transcode files on the fly, so with a Roku you will only be able to play specific file formats. Your best bet currently is to stick with the WD TV Live or buy another similar but newer device and turn on DLNA on your Linkstation.

I use my Roku with an old laptop to play media through Plex or I use my Linkstation with my Samsung TV which has enough power to direct play the videos. One of the devices need to be powerful enough to play your files on its own and the Linkstation is not the one.

- GaryT

• jcarlos.sjcarlos.s Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, Gary!

Can I use this firmware in model LS421DE (model without disks but with the same processor)?

I´ll appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

José Carlos

Hi Jose,

I'm awfully sorry to turn you down but none of the LS 400 models (including the LS421DE) will work currently because of compatibility issues between Plex and the processor of this NAS. This NAS has a newer processor than what Plex supports. When Plex releases a version that is compatible with this device, we can start modding it and include Plex.

Please do not try to install this custom firmware onto your LS421DE, you will break it, it is not meant to be on this device.

Whenever I have an LS400 compatible firmware I'll indicate it on this page.

- GaryT

• helloalihelloali Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First off, thanks very much, GaryT - this is an awesome project you've undertaken. I want to offer a word of warning to anyone with a LS-WVL that Plex does not (at least in my case) recognize any files on mnt/disk2 - which is unfortunately where I spent 12 hours moving all of my media to. It seems to work with mnt/disk1 just fine... now I just have to figure out a way to ssh mv files between disks, which is harder than I'd expected.

edited December 2014

Thanks for the compliment helloali and also for the fair warning. I wasn't aware that you can separate your RAID volume on the NAS until recently but this is going to be fixed in the next version.

I tried to fix it already but because of a small mistake I made it doesn't work yet. If you can't wait and you have the "BobbyDev" version with SSH access, then with some "vi" knowledge you can fix this yourself based on my comment here.

Since you are the second person to raise this (which usually means there are lots in the silent masses with the same issue) I'll have a bugfix release before the New Year.

[EDIT]

The new version of the firmware was released that fixes the issue.

• scottfree1scottfree1 Posts: 61Members ✭✭

I just picked up a "BUFFALO LS-W1.0TGL/R1 1TB" used of ebay can anyone confirm that's what we are talking about here? The model # variations I'm finding look like thy're are based on which drives were included and not differences in the underlying hardware? And If anyone wants one of these check ebay, "more than 10 available" asking $60/best offer, I thought $45 w/free shipping was low-balling but they accepted no worries, no counter..

Hi scottfree,

The exact type you mentioned raised an alarm for me and I double-checked some pages. Unfortunately Buffalo branded two different devices "Pro Duo" The LS-WGL (your device) and the newer LS-WVL (my device). The WGL has a different chip and different firmware than the WVL, so the custom firmware will NOT work on the WGL.

Apologies for the confusion I had no idea that the name "Pro Duo" was reused. If you go to the project page, there is a list of supported device types and a picture of the LS-WVL.

Here's the same list:

LS-XHL, LS-CHL, LS-WXL, LS-WSXL, LS-SL, LS-AVL, LS-VL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL, LS-XL, LS-YL, LS-WXBL

- GaryT

GaryTomato wrote on December 29 2014, 1:29 AM: »

Hi scottfree,

The exact type you mentioned raised an alarm for me and I double-checked some pages. Unfortunately Buffalo branded two different devices "Pro Duo" The LS-WGL (your device) and the newer LS-WVL (my device). The WGL has a different chip and different firmware than the WVL, so the custom firmware will NOT work on the WGL.

Apologies for the confusion I had no idea that the name "Pro Duo" was reused. If you go to the project page, there is a list of supported device types and a picture of the LS-WVL.

Here's the same list:

LS-XHL, LS-CHL, LS-WXL, LS-WSXL, LS-SL, LS-AVL, LS-VL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL, LS-XL, LS-YL, LS-WXBL

- GaryT

G'damn wtf are companies thinking when they do things like this, it pisses me off and using the same name for a device fundamentally different (aka a different processor) it should be illegal as false advertising/consumer fraud. I'm pretty well versed and hell it seem your up to your elbows in this nas and still it's a frikin a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma trying to figure out what the flock you're buying..

GaryTomato thanks for getting me out of this, order canceled.This was purely a  crime of opportunity $45 for the new one would be a screaming deal, any opinion on my other candidates a Qnap ts-120, Zytel nas320 or Thecus N2310 are my top choices..

Hi scottfree,

I'm glad you could back away from it. In another thread mclandypl mentioned that there is a way to hack Plex on the Zyxel. The Thecus N2310 currently seems to have a problem, I think it's because of the upgraded libc dependency, but I don't own one, I didn't look into it. I have no idea about the QNAP if you look around on the Plex forum for QNAP I'm sure you'll find details for that.

I can't really give you advice on which NAS to buy for Plex because I have limited experience. I'd say, go with something that's officially supported by Plex in a package form, instead of the hacked ones like the one I'm creating. Although it's nice to have people using the custom firmware, it's even better if a company is behind you with support.

- GaryT

Thanks for the input, so far this is where I'm at

Thecus N2310: Looks best with official Plex support and the best dlna/media server options I've seen.. (ignoring the broken update)

Qnap t-120 might be good, but who knows, I can't get jack out the their craptacular app store "An error occurred while processing your request. Reference #97.4100217.1419920698.7eb8a0f "

And zytel nas320 looks like to install plex is the usual hacka/plex/arch nightmare..   :rolleyes:

In that case I would definitely look into the Tehcus more. They have good NAS devices and hopefully Plex will be supported on it in the future.