Photo

Plex for Xbox One is a Go!

Best Answer elan , 05 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

I just wanted to clarify, because media is picking this thread up:

• Tyson is a member of our community, but not an employee or a representative of Plex.
  • As you all know, we've never talked about a new platform ahead of release (ever!)
Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1273 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

POPULAR

I would like to make you all aware of some very exciting news...

Microsoft has approved the development of a Plex Client for Xbox One.

That is correct, we have been granted membership into ID@Xbox specifically for the development and eventual release of Plex for Xbox One.

This is in no way saying that it will be coming next week, or even next month, but starting tonight I will be applying my first test code to an Xbox One.

More details will be coming soon.

Thank you very much for your patience in this matter, and thank you very much for your support.

• Ricardo, AnEightiesGuy, vicentin2007 and 51 others like this

#2 nesl247

nesl247

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Awesome to hear this! Was one of the only things holding me back from getting an Xbox One.

• Prudgezeree likes this

#3 stretchstrong

stretchstrong

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

Are you a plex developer? Or are you a third party dev who got approved for ID?

#4 strohsm

strohsm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

This is great news. If there is a beta process I would be more than willing to help preform QA testing when the time comes. I look forward to finally being able to browser and play local media without having to use a second device using the DLNA "PlayTo" feature....

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

#5 SilasDG

SilasDG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

That's awesome Tyson. While this is a big deal for the end user i'm sure you guys are happy to be looking into another platform. I assume you're affiliated with Plex?

You will probably hear this a lot today but i'm in the preview program and If you need a third party to test updates against i'd be glad to help and provide feedback as well.  I'd of course not share any internal details until Plex announced them.

Either way good luck and thanks for the update.

• MatthewRoche likes this

#6 novakane007

novakane007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

Finally!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 mukow

mukow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

Yeeeeeehaaa!

Are you allowed to charge for it? So far there aren't any paid apps. Perhaps require PlexPass?

#8 Quasar

Quasar

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

Guess I better start begging Sony to allow this to happen there as well.

• SauRoNZA likes this

#9 mcrommert

mcrommert

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

I would like to be excited but Tyson I never saw you here until beginning of this week...and you aren't a plex ninja or plex dev.  Who confirmed that the xbox one app is in dev?  Thanks for your confirmation.

PMS: Windows 10 (Slow Lane) - ASROCK H77 - 16tb pool FlexRAID
PHT: Xbox One - RARflix: Roku 2XS - PLEX Connect: Apple TV 3 

Also: Chromecast, Nook HD +, 2x Windows Phone Lumia 920, Surface RT

episode-banner.jpg

#10 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

mcrommert, I am the one writing the client.  ;)

#11 CJPresler

CJPresler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

This is one of the first Apps I've heard of in the ID@Xbox program. And especially the only one I've heard of that already has a W8 application. I'd love to hear about how easy/difficult it is to translate the W8 app to Xbox One.

So two questions. Are you porting over the W8 app or starting from scratch, and are you thinking of doing a blog or anything about the dev process?

So excited for the possibility of Plex on XOne.

#12 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11232 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

To clarify: Tyson Edwards is not a member of the Plex development team.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
» Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

#13 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Chris is correct, I am a third-party developer hence why this was posted in the third-party section.

However, I have reached out to the Plex Development Team to inform them that upon completion of the Xbox One client it will be provided to them should they wish to make it an official client, as well as extended them the opportunity to assist in it's development should they wish to do so.

#14 BYUFamily

BYUFamily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Sweet!!! Very excited for this development.

#15 CJPresler

CJPresler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

... So Tyson got into the ID@Xbox program with an application for a Plex client, but Plex themselves hasn't!? How... how is that the case? Had the Plex Dev team really not applied for the ID@Xbox program?

This is still great news, but I'm very confused at this point how a fairly unheard of developer got into the program but Plex hasn't yet.

Also disappointing that this means that Tyson will probably be having to build the app from the ground up without being able to simply port over the Win8 app.

#16 pheonixsingh

pheonixsingh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Great news - Hopefully support will be provided from plex team to help you speed up development process

#17 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

CJPresler, absolute worst case... Plex Home Theater is an Open Source application with its code on Github and the Plex Developer Center has a lot of documentation, so it isn't exactly like I would be starting from scratch ;)

It would certainly be easier if I had the code for the Windows 8 Modern UI Client, but it is still easy enough.

I can't speak to whether any other party applied to join ID@Xbox to bring Plex to the Xbox One, but I can say that it was far from a strait forward process and required using a few back-channel contacts to finally get in touch with the right people to get the final "Okay, you're in."

I personally made it a priority after I picked up one of my own and realized just how frustrating getting something to work with PlayTo really was.

• MatthewRoche and Begod like this

#18 RevitXman

RevitXman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Awesome to hear!

#19 byronm

byronm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

... So Tyson got into the ID@Xbox program with an application for a Plex client, but Plex themselves hasn't!? How... how is that the case? Had the Plex Dev team really not applied for the ID@Xbox program?

This is still great news, but I'm very confused at this point how a fairly unheard of developer got into the program but Plex hasn't yet.

Also disappointing that this means that Tyson will probably be having to build the app from the ground up without being able to simply port over the Win8 app.

I don't understand this either.  I could have sworn someone from plex on these forums said they were shrugged off, but i questioned it as well as ID@Xbox seems to be allowing all sorts of developers in who actually shows some enthusiasm for the platform.  I would think a straight port of the Windows 8.1 client would be the most efficient.. i hope WP8/Windows8/Xb1 turn into a universal app.

I'm definitely intrigued at the possibility of someone porting plex to X1, but at the same time, severely disappointed that Plex didn't/wasn't able to get into the program themselves.  With their experience on WP8 and Nokia sponsorship of the app/showcase i don't see how they weren't able to get in on X1 early..

just making broad assumptions, maybe plex is already accepted and we just won't hear anything until its stable/available.

#20 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8014 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:09 PM   Best Answer

I just wanted to clarify, because media is picking this thread up:

• Tyson is a member of our community, but not an employee or a representative of Plex.
  • As you all know, we've never talked about a new platform ahead of release (ever!)

• ole2308, shadir007, Krs1 and 4 others like this

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.