Photo

Plex for Xbox One is a Go!

Best Answer elan , 05 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

I just wanted to clarify, because media is picking this thread up:

• Tyson is a member of our community, but not an employee or a representative of Plex.
  • As you all know, we've never talked about a new platform ahead of release (ever!)
Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1273 replies to this topic

#321 awyea

awyea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

I've been neglecting plex for awhile now that I have an XBOne in the livingroom, would love to join the beta program!

#322 teknomusik

teknomusik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'd also like to help with beta testing; I've been using my XB1 daily since launch and use Play To with my Plex home server quite a bit. 

#323 tonychuka

tonychuka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Would love to help beta test as well, but me on the list!

Excellent work you're doing here Tyson. 

#324 kmcoulson

kmcoulson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

@Tyson

Slightly off topic here but as the topic is mainly beta volunteers I thought I'd change the pace a little.

What is your take on Microsoft releasing a version of the xb one without the kinect?

To me the whole point of bundling it was that every xb one owner would have one and therefore developers would be inclined to put some proper effort into it developing for it because they had a wide customer base ready and waiting.

I've been Microsoft and Xbox all the way for years but it just seems like they are backing down on every brave decision they have made with the xb one.

Just wondered what your opinion was as someone who is obviously very behind the kinect.

Kev
  • jezmav likes this

#325 grapejooce

grapejooce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

I would also love to join the beta! I'm always using Plex and having it on my Xbox One would make everything simpler. Hope I can help!

And, thank you Tyson.

#326 LatinP

LatinP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

I would absolutely love to beta test this, we currently have 2 xBox Ones in the house one in the kids room and one in the living room, anything I can do to help feel free to ask.

#327 c0py

c0py

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'm extremely keen to be involved in the beta!  :wub:

#328 Ithiel

Ithiel

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

@kmcoulson, the biggest problem with forced Kinect bundling was that they failed to give people a big enough reason to want it. Lets face it, unless you're into dancing like an idiot in front of your TV, it probably hasn't done a lot for you or (in my case with voice recognition) failed at its job anyway.

Its ironic that this plex app - made by neither plex, nor Microsoft - may be the first real step towards making the Kinect worth the effort for me.

I'm not saying the Kinect should have been unbundled - I'm saying Microsoft needed to do more to give it a reason to be there in the first place. The admirable thing about Tyson with Murmur Games is that's exactly what he's trying to do :-)

#329 c0py

c0py

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

A feature/idea I have is "xbox, take a photo". Plex would instantly take a photo from the Kinnect and display on the screen, giving you the choice to add it to your Plex library if you want to keep it. With the high res & wide FOV it would be great for group photos of family or friends...

#330 jonathanq

jonathanq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

@Tyson

I am sure you already have a long list of beta testers.  However, if you need another one - count me in!

#331 skirton

skirton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Not sure how many beta testers you need (or want), but I would love to be involved if it would help.  Thanks for all your work.

#332 gage006

gage006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Count me in on the beta. One of the few reasons I still have my Apple TV hooked up.

#333 Ithiel

Ithiel

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:08 AM

@Tyson @didier.danloy

The big problem with CEC on the Xbox One is not at the hardware level or even at the app level, it's at the OS level.

The Xbox One Hardware supports CEC, but (unless something very recent has changed) it has either not been enabled or has been disabled at an OS level.

Instead, the Xbox One uses an IR blaster in the Kinect (IR light goes out from the Kinect, bounces off the walls behind you, and back into the IR receiver of your TV, etc.) because... well... it gave credence to "you must have the Kinect connected". Considering that HDMI-CEC is an industry standard that pretty much uses one set of instructions for almost everything that supports it, while IR Blasters need different instruction sets for each individual model of anything, it's a little messed up - not saying there isn't a situation where IR Blasters aren't incredibly helpful (like when a device doesn't support CEC, lol), but it should be used strictly in an "as well as" rather than "instead of" scenario.

Sadly, it looks like this may be something outside of app developer's control.

Of course, if you find a way around it, I've got CEC enabled on my Samsung TV & Sound System, along with my Western Digital WDTV, and even to a limited capacity on my Toshiba Laptop (only supports power control, but still that's something lol), so will happily poke it with a stick to see if I can get anything to happen.

#334 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

Xbox One without Kinect sucks for one simple reason... It means that those who care about building innovative and immersive titles for it now have many reasons not to bother and it all boils down to limited potential market share.

Kinect V2 can do so,e truly incredible things and it is being downright wasted when it comes to the titles available today.

People think Kinect sucks because no one has taken the time or invested the energy to show them otherwise.

Making a dance title is easy.

Microsoft gives you all of the skeletons to do so with minimal code, and tools to let you just act out your actions rather than needing to write the code. A single person can make a dance title that is quite similar to the others on the market in a week if they were so inclined thanks to the level of sophistication that Microsoft has put into their Kinect SDK.

And as long as people keep buying those titles, then there is no incentive to invest any meaningful time to make something "better".

Where is the Daylight release that is fully gesture controlled?
Where is Iron Man where you can fire repulsive from your palms by pulsing your hand?
Where is Harry Potter where you wave a magic wand even a real wand, why not! - with your hand and say your own spells to do casting?
Where is X-Men where you can be Cyclops by touching the side of your head and firing where you are looking?

The answer is nowhere even though the technology is right there and super easy to use should you feel like taking the risk to design something cool and different.
  • braintumor, Deano316, jezmav and 4 others like this

#335 Kingston86

Kingston86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hey Tyson,

Fantastic work so far on the App, and some of the features you have mentioned already seem amazing. If your not already flooded I would love to participate in the beta. Unfortunately I am not a coder, but I am a graphic designer by trade so if you need a hand with any graphical bits, I'd be happy to help wherever possible.

#336 jrdevos

jrdevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hi Tyson,

Would love to help with the beta, as well as translation for the Dutch market!

Jordi

#337 Hopkins

Hopkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Hi Tyson, just letting you know that I don't want to be part of the beta.

Thought you could do with some different feedback just to mix things up a bit :rolleyes:

(though of course looking forward to the release very much)

#338 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for that Hopkins! 

Really appreciate the change in pace.

• Wadey likes this

#339 Tyson Edwards

Tyson Edwards

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

In writing a response to Hopkins, I started on something that I feel best shared with the group...

The client that I have been working on is based on Plex Home Theater with the Kinect support added as a module. Thanks to it's PHT roots comes full skin support... Something that I've considered sorely lacking from the Windows 8 app. To that end, I have been reaching out to Skin developers to get approval to have their work featured in the client so that you can bring your favorite skins with you to the Xbox One.

As of this moment, the skins of Maverick214 are confirmed to be included in the app due to the fact that it is coming freely to the Xbox Marketplace. Still waiting to hear back from Jaaps and se.bastian.

I've become fascinated with the capabilities afforded through Kinect, so it has gotten a fair share of attention, however it is still designed to work very much without the need of a Kinect sensor since there are those out there that don't want to have it on their consoles. 

I've adopted a policy of if you don't have Kinect, it will do everything that you've come to expect from Plex Home Theater, including using the Plex apps for Phones and Tablets to control it, the Plex Media Server Webpage, normal media remotes... whatever. 

However, If you have Kinect you should be able to do more... much more...
Kinect should make for a better experience than is possible through a conventional media remote. It should let you do the things that presently require stand-alone apps like the Plex Phone apps to serve as your remote control, except be easier to use, be quicker to access, and have better accessibility for even the most simple tasks than a media remote.

With that can come better experiences than we've previously seen. It opens the door to asking your Xbox to do things for you and have it obey.
Things like "Xbox, Pause Until I Get Back" or "Xbox, Play the Sequel When This is Over" or "Xbox, Skip the Credits" or "Xbox, Play some Music".
Things that seem extraordinarily simple, yet allow you to enjoy your media in ways that previously haven't been possible.

Life can get in the way of enjoying our entertainment and these experiences are designed around making things as seamless as possible, whether it be turning on your TV as soon as you get home and starting the next episode of a series, or continuing a marathon for you so that you don't need to find the remote.

What Kinect enables is entirely new mechanisms of interfacing with technology in a natural and faster way than through physical controls or touchscreen interfaces. Kinect *is* groundbreaking technology, even more so than people give it credit. This isn't Google Glass, this isn't Curved TVs, this isn't 7" Screens a Cell Phone... There are no gimmicks here, just great technology that is waiting to be used to it's full potential. What I'm doing here for Plex isn't it's full potential, not even close... But what I've seen makes me truly excited to find out just where it's limits are. 

These are the sorts of things that I've been working on, and hopefully they should show that I've put a lot of thought into Plex and want to do something special for a community that has given me such great joy over the years. It also seems kind of fitting that Plex's roots come from XBMC, and now I can bring it back to Xbox with some truly special functionality that is only currently possible through the exceptionally innovative work that has been going on for years at Microsoft. Without the wonderful open source community which has provided us with XBMC, Plex, ffmpeg and others too long to mention and the exceptional teams at Microsoft including Kinect, Xbox, ID@Xbox, Xbox Apps, and some exceptional employees who have been amazing to work with, none of this would be possible.

Also, you can look forward to a demo in the coming days. If only there was a countdown timer somewhere...

I look forward to getting the finishing touches done and going into beta with you all. 
Those who I haven't yet reached out to, don't worry... I haven't forgotten about you. I just need to keep a close eye on my PM Quota ;)

• tcn33, braintumor, jphccfc and 15 others like this

#340 shawnmolnar

shawnmolnar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm interested in the beta as well. Would like to test it out with my other home automation stuff as well! Will there be any plex remote/api access when it's running on the xbox one?