#1 Cello

Cello

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hi there,

Until now I have been running Plex from a Mac connected via DVI/HDMI straight to my LCD TV and optical audio to a receiver and everything works fine.

Since I am getting tired of switching HDMI and audio cables from the Mac to the PS3 whenever I want to play a game or a watch a BD, I am considering to upgrade my AV receiver to a proper one (Onkyo or Denon or something else).

Now, the question. If I pass HDMI through an AV receiver to the TV, does it involve some kind of audio lag / out-of-sync issues I should be aware of? The thought of setting up a new receiver and then find out that everything is screwed up is a no-go (as is having to go insane with delay settings).

My other option is a combined HDMI/Toslink switch but I only found a couple of models that are expensive enough to consider investing some more euros in a new receiver...

Any hints/tips/experiences are really really appreciated!

TIA,
Cello

#2 astr0b0y

astr0b0y

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

No, there will not be any lag introduced, go for it. There are thousands of us that use a set up like that.
You will still need to keep you optical cable link from your Mac mini to the receiver though as there is no audio sent over the DVI->HDMI cable.

#3 Cello

Cello

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

No, there will not be any lag introduced, go for it. There are thousands of us that use a set up like that.
You will still need to keep you optical cable link from your Mac mini to the receiver though as there is no audio sent over the DVI->HDMI cable.

Thanks for your input, no problem about the two cables. Any reccomended brands? Needs to be compatible with the Logitech Harmony One and have wireless surround (this is more of a wife requirement!).

#4 astr0b0y

astr0b0y

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for your input, no problem about the two cables. Any reccomended brands? Needs to be compatible with the Logitech Harmony One and have wireless surround (this is more of a wife requirement!).

Both Denon and Onkyo make goos receivers, you may more features for less money with Denon, but I would go for Onkyo personally… I would be surprised if any brand name receiver was not compatible with Harmony remotes.
Now, wireless surround… In my opinion their really is no such thing. Speakers will need to receive power somehow, so even if you don't have speaker cable running to them you will have them plugged into a power socket instead. If you really want to pursue this the only wireless set up I know comes from Logitech - your money would be better spent on hiding cables.

#5 Cello

Cello

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

Now, wireless surround… In my opinion their really is no such thing. Speakers will need to receive power somehow, so even if you don't have speaker cable running to them you will have them plugged into a power socket instead. If you really want to pursue this the only wireless set up I know comes from Logitech - your money would be better spent on hiding cables.

Sorry my fault. What I am looking for is the ability to wirelessly connect the speaker to the receiver, no problem hooking the rear speakers to outlet. My problem is the wiring to the receiver, not power (my current receiver is a Samsung all-in-one HT, with a wireless box for the rear speakers, I'm looking for a system like that).

#6 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

you can also very often get noticeable audio quality loss with wireless speaker systems, because of the limited bandwidth they nearly always compress the audio signal. speaker wire is dirt cheap and easy to hide (under a carpet, in ceiling/floor/wall, under molding, etc, or just laid flat against the wall) its well worth the limited trouble of running wires even for long distances, just go on monoprice and pick up the apropriate gauge and type.

that said, you wont really find receivers that have wireless sound built in, but a lot of receivers do have pre-amp line outs for the rear channels, to which you can attach a 3rd party wireless system (which id think would be kinda expensive though).

#7 shindigg

shindigg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

I think I have this fixed. Here's the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users