• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jbanks

jbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

OK - I consider myself not a beginner in computer use and even a power user as I've been able to make a lot of things with my computer. Now the problem that I have is that after having tried Plex for some time now, I decided that I do not like the software for many reasons and that it brings more negative aspects to my needs than positive ones. To my opinion the main problem is the lack of simplicity and user-friendlyness that Apple was able to create. The only reason I have tried plex is to compensate the absence of CODECs in Front Row because Apple is forcing discouraging use of content non-apple-tech-oriented.

Other big mess: As a consumer I expect from any products and services that I deal with, no less than some few basic things. for exemple, I understand that some product in development is of course still in the works for improvements, and therefore I am willing to try the product or service as long as I can revert to the stage I was first if the thing cannot answer my need.

With that in mind folks, encouraging people to come and try the software should make you understand that some would not yet be ready to keep that application on their system and would rather be more comfortable using the previous system.

So how come is it that when I type in all the search box I can find on the Plex site the keywords "uninstall Plex" that I CAN'T find anything related to uninstalling Plex from my computer?

Please someone understand that I was in a rush to listen to my new albums of music on Front Row since its way faster to access that the Zillions submenus in Plex and of course I could not get Front Row to work with my remote. - OK I said, no problems. I just need to diactivate Plex I said. NOPE! after looking in the menus I could not find such option. And if there was one than its a real problem that I could not find it.

After uninstalling Plex by using my mac uninstaller "CleanApp" I stll can't get Front Row to work - nor the info on how the hell to uninstall this thing!!!! MAN!
This is such a BAD user experience that I think not to try it anytime soon. Even if its free and that I usually encourage Open-source apps before anything.

So now I need my Front Row back ASAP but there are no docs that I can find, no easy ways to do the things, how long is help going to take? I'm freakin' disappointed guys.

#2 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:49 AM

Sounds like you still have the Plexhelper application still running that allows you to start Plex via a remote.

http://wiki.plexapp....s#Input_Devices

Killing that background process should get your remote back.

Jonny

#3 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

Almost all Macintosh applications don't have uninstallers. Software installation for most Mac apps is a drag & drop procedure, only applications that require deeper changes to the system require the use of installers. Drag to Applications to install, drag to the Trash to uninstall. This is exactly how Plex works - no different than the majority of other Mac apps out there.

There are some folders that store application support files (cleverly placed in "~/Library/Application Support") but these are the only other changes made to your system by Plex. They also don't affect how your system runs in any way. If your Apple remote is launching Plex instead of Front Row, that's because you've enabled the "Always Running" setting in the Apple remote section of Plex's preferences. This setting makes the remote helper program run even when Plex isn't, which temporarily redirects IR commands. This is not the default setting, so you must've changed it yourself.

If you've been using Plex for a while now, you've no doubt noticed that our forums are usually a friendly and helpful place. If you decide to post again, please try to stay calm and polite - chances are someone will have run into the issue before, or that the experience you're having is out of the ordinary (the fact that you couldn't find a single post related to uninstallation being difficult should prove that this isn't the case).

#4 jbanks

jbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

Almost all Macintosh applications don't have uninstallers. Software installation for most Mac apps is a drag & drop procedure, only applications that require deeper changes to the system require the use of installers. Drag to Applications to install, drag to the Trash to uninstall. This is exactly how Plex works - no different than the majority of other Mac apps out there.

There are some folders that store application support files (cleverly placed in "~/Library/Application Support") but these are the only other changes made to your system by Plex. They also don't affect how your system runs in any way. If your Apple remote is launching Plex instead of Front Row, that's because you've enabled the "Always Running" setting in the Apple remote section of Plex's preferences. This setting makes the remote helper program run even when Plex isn't, which temporarily redirects IR commands. This is not the default setting, so you must've changed it yourself.

If you've been using Plex for a while now, you've no doubt noticed that our forums are usually a friendly and helpful place. If you decide to post again, please try to stay calm and polite - chances are someone will have run into the issue before, or that the experience you're having is out of the ordinary (the fact that you couldn't find a single post related to uninstallation being difficult should prove that this isn't the case).

Thank you guys problem is solved. Sorry for my diligent tone but I was really upset about not being able to get this working back. I did uninstall by dragging to the trash as of most mac apps, only I use an uninstaller that does automatically collect all of the other files from other folder at one time and drops it all to the trash - making sure to clean uninstall an app.

As far as the remote setting I did tried and modified a few things to look around but for the remote setting I did left it to always as I could not properly interpret what this setting meant and had no interest in spending time to read documentation. so I concluded: do you want the apple remote to always work on your laptop? uhn, yeah!

Thanks for the impressively prompt help.

#5 garrincha

garrincha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hi, I have some minor problems with Plex and I wanna reinstall both PMS and Plex. But everytime I re-install it, i see that my movies are already there right after the installation. How can I make a full removal and re-install it?

Thanks in Advance,

#6 WJM

WJM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

This is not entirely true. To completely remove Plex you will have to do a lot more then that:

Delete Plex.app from your Applications folder and delete the following:
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Application Support/Plex
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Preferences/com.plexsquared.Plex.plist
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex.log
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Server.old.log
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Server.log
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Scanner.old.log
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Scanner.log
  • /Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Caches/com.plexsquared.Plex

I believe an uninstaller should be provided, because not everybody has CleanMyMac at his dispel to clean up that mess!

#7 clyparkr

clyparkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:37 AM

This is not entirely true. To completely remove Plex you will have to do a lot more then that:

I believe an uninstaller should be provided, because not everybody has CleanMyMac at his dispel to clean up that mess!

Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to do a clean reinstall of the app and if i just deleting and reinstalled the app file all my original setup was still there. Much much appreciated.

#8 superw

superw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

[*]/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist
Salu2,
sw!

#9 Climb AZ

Climb AZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

[*]/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist
Salu2,
sw!

/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/PMS Plugins.log
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Caches/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver

#10 asl1234

asl1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:05 AM

So very very frustrated with Plex have

1. dragged plex ap to trash
2. followed these instructions
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Application Support/Plex
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Preferences/com.plexsquared.Plex.plist
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex.log
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Server.old.log
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Server.log
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Scanner.old.log
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Logs/Plex Media Scanner.log
/Users/[YOUR USER]/Library/Caches/com.plexsquared.Plex

yet the bloody thing still somehow starts up ... it appears in my top nav next to the clock and the date ...how is the even possible? I would really like to uninstall plex , I am not a fan .

Suggestion please.

#11 plk

plk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:11 AM

I use Appcleaner when I want to completely uninstall something. http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

I've used it for Plex and it worked for me.

#12 OzSanta

OzSanta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

G'day from Oz.

I don't know why someone hasn't already done this.

Run this applescript to remove Plex.

set Path1 to path to applications folder
set path2 to path to library folder from user domain
set tempList to {"Application Support:Plex Media Server", "Application Support:Plex", "Preferences:com.plexsquared.Plex.plist", "Logs:Plex.log", "Logs:Plex Media Server.old.log", "Logs:Plex Media Server.log", "Logs:Plex Media Scanner.old.log", "Logs:Plex Media Scanner.log", "Caches:com.plexsquared.Plex", "Preferences:com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist", "Logs:PMS Plugins.log", "Caches:com.plexapp.plexmediaserver", "Preferences:com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist.lockfile", "Preferences:com.plexsquared.Plex.plist.lockfile"}
set Count1 to 0
set count2 to 0
tell application "Finder"
try
tell application "Plex" to quit
end try
try
tell application "Plex Media Server" to quit
end try
try
set Count1 to 1
set temp to file ((Path1 & "Plex.app") as text) as alias
move temp as text to trash
set count2 to 1
end try
repeat with TheFile in tempList
try
set Count1 to Count1 + 1
set temp to file ((path2 & TheFile) as text) as alias
set count2 to count2 + 1
end try
end repeat
display dialog "there were " & count2 & " files trashed out of a possible " & Count1 & " files."
end tell

Attached Files

#13 PlexUser4711

PlexUser4711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

G'day from Oz.

I don't know why someone hasn't already done this.

Run this applescript to remove Plex.

set Path1 to path to applications folder
set path2 to path to library folder from user domain
set tempList to {"Application Support:Plex Media Server", "Application Support:Plex", "Preferences:com.plexsquared.Plex.plist", "Logs:Plex.log", "Logs:Plex Media Server.old.log", "Logs:Plex Media Server.log", "Logs:Plex Media Scanner.old.log", "Logs:Plex Media Scanner.log", "Caches:com.plexsquared.Plex", "Preferences:com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist", "Logs:PMS Plugins.log", "Caches:com.plexapp.plexmediaserver", "Preferences:com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist.lockfile", "Preferences:com.plexsquared.Plex.plist.lockfile"}
set Count1 to 0
set count2 to 0
tell application "Finder"
try
tell application "Plex" to quit
end try
try
tell application "Plex Media Server" to quit
end try
try
set Count1 to 1
set temp to file ((Path1 & "Plex.app") as text) as alias
set count2 to 1
end try
repeat with TheFile in tempList
try
set Count1 to Count1 + 1
set temp to file ((path2 & TheFile) as text) as alias
set count2 to count2 + 1
end try
end repeat
display dialog "there were " & count2 & " files trashed out of a possible " & Count1 & " files."
end tell

Great! Works perfectly!

#14 maxgraham

maxgraham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

This comment is disingenuous to say the least and Plex staff know it.

So annoying that i have to run a script to get this off my system.

#15 lucianop500@hotmail.com

lucianop500@hotmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

love you Plex.Remover.scpt.zip plex its just a piece of shit it didn unistall form my computer like a month ago, i hate you plexcrap

#16 shez

shez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Awesome Oz, Thanks

#17 mmpark1

mmpark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Couldn't agree more with maxgraham. Plex certainly falls short of my expectations. Many thanks to OzSanta!.

#18 robertmac66

robertmac66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

I disagree I think Plex is one great app, I just love the simplicity of this product, and thank all the staff for their great work.

#19 disturbed

disturbed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm trying to uninstall, but can't find the App! It's not in my apps folder. As "asl1234" says above, Plex always appears in my top nav next to the clock and the date every time my computer starts, yet it's not listed as a startup item in my system preferences, & it's not seen by "force quit."
I'd normally manually quit plex every time I started the Macbook pro, but lately doing that throws the MBP into a Kernel panic freezing the computer.
I want Plex off before cloning the HD (haven't backed up for ages) because something could be wrong with my HD or logic board, so I'm trying to not use the MBP until ready to do it all expediently, in case the HD only has minutes or an hour or 2 left before dying (so I'm writing this on a barely working G4).
Heeelp!

#20 mediajunkie1

mediajunkie1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thanks it worked for almost everything except the plex helper it keeps saying its in use but I quit plex and deleted everything already according to your list. I can't disable it. help. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users