Photo

New iPhone app to control XBMC (but does it work with Plex?)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 PharCyder

PharCyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Hi all,

To all iPhone owners, a new app has appeared in the App Store. Apparently XBMC Remote (iTunes store link) is to XBMC what the 'Remote' app is to iTunes.

Does anyone know if it works with Plex? Call me tight but as its not free (it costs £2.99 UKP) I'm not will to take the risk.......ah sheeeet that makes me sound really tight :(

#2 migueld

migueld

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

You are fine, I won't waste money unless it's worth it, so I'm pretty cautious as well, even if it's 3 o 4 bucks, it's money :D

From what I read in the forums it might work, it has to do with entering the plex ip and port, did you check here:?

http://xbmc.org/foru...?t=35064&page=7

#3 Sal

Sal

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

It doesn't seem to for me. At least I can't get it to work. It doesn't let you set the username, just the password, that might be it? Maybe it's assuming it's xbox but since the latest release it's been plex. Either way, not sure, it just gives a generic "error connecting" error so that's not much help. I'll mess around with it more later, for now I'm going to bed.
twitter me: DaSal

#4 phunkysai

phunkysai

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:07 AM

Try turning off the password in plex and see if it works....

#5 spade

spade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:32 AM

It works for me. I just made sure to change the default port from 80 to match what Plex is set to.
Seems to work ok. The app crashed a few times and crashed Plex once. Other than that it's kinda neat.
It does NOT have the strange pause issue like my Harmony remote.

#6 Sal

Sal

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

It works for me. I just made sure to change the default port from 80 to match what Plex is set to.
Seems to work ok. The app crashed a few times and crashed Plex once. Other than that it's kinda neat.

Where do I find the exact Ip adress I need in the Mediastream skin?

Also, over WiFi or 3g?
Cause it supposedly works over 3g too...
twitter me: DaSal

#7 phunkysai

phunkysai

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:28 AM

Where do I find the exact Ip adress I need in the Mediastream skin?

Also, over WiFi or 3g?
Cause it supposedly works over 3g too...

You'll actually need to use the IP address assigned to your Mac, which can be found in the Network Utility...

#8 Fundurose

Fundurose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

HI
I guess it´s not only me that can´t get the XMBC Remote for iPhone working.
Updated iPhone to 2.1
Installed XMBC Remote
Changed IP address in Remote to same as iMAC
Have tried change port also, but what port number to use? Have standard default PLEX installation
Tried 8080 HTTP Proxy and 3000 Web server and no luck so far.
Other place than Network in PLEX to find PLEX post number?

Thanks
Lars

#9 Wassit

Wassit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

HI
I guess it´s not only me that can´t get the XMBC Remote for iPhone working.
Updated iPhone to 2.1
Installed XMBC Remote
Changed IP address in Remote to same as iMAC
Have tried change port also, but what port number to use? Have standard default PLEX installation
Tried 8080 HTTP Proxy and 3000 Web server and no luck so far.
Other place than Network in PLEX to find PLEX post number?

Thanks
Lars

This is how I have it setup.

In Plex goto System -> Settings -> Network-> Servers
Enable Webserver: ON (it won't work if this isn't on)
Web Server Port: 3000
WEb server Password: No Pass

find the IP address of your machine running Plex via network utilility or istat widget if you have in installed.

Then in iPhone edit settings of the xbmc remote to your ip address and Port.

Should work fine. If not then I suggest that it is your router or firewall blocking access. I'm not really up on Apple network protocols but there is bound to be a way of opening your chosen port either on the mac or the router.

#10 PharCyder

PharCyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

This is how I have it setup.

<snip>

Nice one, works great.

Now all we need is Plex branding :) ......seriously, any devs out there up for this? - definitely a chargeable app

Edit: Here's a thread all about it too (mentioning Plex too)

#11 phunkysai

phunkysai

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

Try connecting with your browser on a desktop computer in your home first, just to see if you can connect that way. If not, there is an issue in your network somewhere.

Also, make sure Plex is running when you try to connect (I'm guilty of that one!)! :lol:

#12 Spence

Spence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Now all we need is Plex branding :) ......seriously, any devs out there up for this? - definitely a chargeable app

Edit: Here's a thread all about it too (mentioning Plex too)

I mentioned this on the xbmc forum post and was laughed at :(

anyhow, i'm going to pm the author of the app and see if i have some better luck

first I wanted to check with the community and devs that these images were ok to give the author to hopefully encorporate into a plex branded version

#13 spade

spade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

I have only connected over wifi. I have mine setup the same way wildwassit describes, which is also the way the directions show.
I would think if you try and connect over a cell connection you will need the port opened on your firewall( either on your mac or router?)and use DDNS to resolve the address.

Are you using/ or can use wifi or do you need to connect over the edge/3G?

#14 narcan

narcan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

anyhow, i'm going to pm the author of the app and see if i have some better luck

first I wanted to check with the community and devs that these images were ok to give the author to hopefully encorporate into a plex branded version

Spence,

I'm not necessarily opposed to branding the remote for different branches of XBMC, though this hasn't yet been a priority for myself.

Certainly could create an option to modify the in application graphics, maybe by having a way to select what 'type' of XBMC your connecting to in the hosts screen. Though I'd think there's no way around the icon and title on the home screen, unless the app was branded to be something a little more generic. I don't think I'd want to consider distributing separate apps unless the functionality was significantly different.

For anyone having issues with setup please take a look here for a setup walkthrough

http://remote.collect3.com.au/setup/

and for troubleshooting there is a faq here

http://remote.collec...roubleshooting/

Thanks,
Dave (XBMC Remote Developer)

#15 cortez

cortez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

I have downloaded and it works fine with Plex. Now the only thing i need is multiple RAR playback. Now it only show "No Media Found". Besides that it's very nice app. Good job.
Macmini, Plex, Sony 1080p LCD, FreeNAS 3TB

#16 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for checking! Please PM alexis, as he's the one who designed them.

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#17 narcan

narcan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

I have downloaded and it works fine with Plex. Now the only thing i need is multiple RAR playback. Now it only show "No Media Found". Besides that it's very nice app. Good job.

Just had a look into this and it seems it's an XBMC issue. I've submitted a bug http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/4880.

Have for the meantime implemented a work around where selecting the RAR will just queue all relevant files in that RAR as opposed to showing the contents and allowing the items to be individually selected, which should be fine for the majority of cases.

#18 Isaac Ordonez

Isaac Ordonez

Mayor of Plexville

• Mayor Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

Oh welcome to the forums narcan :)
Need Help? Watch our Help videos directly inside Plex! Go to "Get Help" on the main menu.

Make sure to read up on how to create good Bug Reports and Feature Requests.
Read the Documentation and help edit the Wiki!

Wrote a great plugin? Submit it to the App store!

#19 Spence

Spence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Spence,

I'm not necessarily opposed to branding the remote for different branches of XBMC, though this hasn't yet been a priority for myself.

Certainly could create an option to modify the in application graphics, maybe by having a way to select what 'type' of XBMC your connecting to in the hosts screen. Though I'd think there's no way around the icon and title on the home screen, unless the app was branded to be something a little more generic. I don't think I'd want to consider distributing separate apps unless the functionality was significantly different.

For anyone having issues with setup please take a look here for a setup walkthrough

http://remote.collect3.com.au/setup/

and for troubleshooting there is a faq here

http://remote.collec...roubleshooting/

Thanks,
Dave (XBMC Remote Developer)

fair enough i imagine you have lots still to do it being v1 (although i am very impress with how much you have already managed to include)

i completely understand that its not a priority, and can see how having two different instances of the same app in the store isnt an idea

anyhow for what its worth my 2 cents is that for the price of a beer i would happily buy the app again if it became available as a plex remote

ps will pm alexis

#20 straff2002

straff2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

just changed the icons for it (you will need to be jailbroken)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users