181 replies to this topic

#1 grover

grover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:35 AM

Hi,

I've started developing a new Plex Media Server plugin for EyeTV. It is a very rough first draft, but I need some testers outside of my own home :)

If you're interested, please post in this topic or PM me with your country, the reception type you're using (antenna, cable, satellite, analogue, digital...) I appreciate all help I can get for this. You'll receive in response the download instructions for the plugin and some installation help. I need someone with some time to really test this out.

The current state can be seen here.

grover

The current plugin version is posted here

#2 Angry Nugget

Angry Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

HI,

Am using EyeTV DTT with my MacMini here in the UK to receive free to air DVB-T. Would be very keen to try anything that integrates all my media apps into Plex.

Adam

#3 jadewbj

jadewbj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

I have a mac mini mid 2007 1.83ghz with 4gb ram. I am waiting for my eyetv to show up tomorrow. Once its all set up I would really love for eyetv to be integrated in plex.

#4 grover

grover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

To everyone who has either replied to me via PM or in this thread: I'm completing the installation instructions and hope to give you all appropriate instructions within the next 2 days.

#5 OLD_upsideduck

OLD_upsideduck

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

Will be very interesting to see if this works with my conax module and my payed for channels, but I guess it should :).

#6 grover

grover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

phindus,

does CyTV work for you?

grover

#7 OLD_upsideduck

OLD_upsideduck

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

phindus,

does CyTV work for you?

grover

Yes it does. CyTV worked really good, just a little of a hassel to set up.

If that is the base you have worked from, then I am really happy and I can see the potential of this plugin :)

#8 Jarsen

Jarsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

I've started developing a new Plex Media Server plugin for EyeTV. It is a very rough first draft, but I need some testers outside of my own home :)

If you're interested, please post in this topic or PM me with your country, the reception type you're using (antenna, cable, satellite, analogue, digital...) I appreciate all help I can get for this. You'll receive in response the download instructions for the plugin and some installation help. I need someone with some time to really test this out.

The current state can be seen here.

grover

I would love to test your plugin :D
I'm receiving TV through an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (DVB-T ) in Denmark.

//Jonas

#9 retroclutch

retroclutch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

I'd be willing to test. I'm located in the United States and I'm tuning over unencrypted QAM. 2007 iMac 2.8ghz extreme with 4GB of ram. Also I have two tuners, which even EyeTV doesn't support fully.

#10 mizelly41

mizelly41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

I am willing to help test.
I am in the Unites States and I use an Elegato 250 on my mac. I have analogue cable for my input.

#11 Harley Hooligan

Harley Hooligan

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:16 AM

I am very interested in this testing. I have two mac mini's. One early 2009, one late 2009. In the US with antenae only. I use an HdHomerun to run to eyetv on two mac mini's and quadcore hackintosh where I do my recording and encoding.

#12 Armando

Armando

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

I am very interested in this testing as well. I too have two mac mini's - both early 2009. In the US with antenae only. I use an HdHomerun to run to eyetv on one of them and it does the recording and encoding, with the help of a Turbo H264 hw encoder (non HD).

Thx!

#13 OKCCowboy

OKCCowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

I am in the United States, with a late 2009 Mac Mini, EyeTV Hybrid and HdHomerun using EyeTV and would love to test the plugin.
-----------------------------------

Mac Mini 2.26 / 160 (Late 2009 model)
WD My Book Elite 2TB USB Drive
Harmony 880 remote
Kanex Mini DisplayPort Adapter (TOSLink version)
Sony Receiver

#14 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

Nice job, looking really good!

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#15 mkh

mkh

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

macbook unibody 2009 / mac mini, late 2008 / eyetv hybrid dvb-t / denmark / sign me up plz

:D

#16 mkh

mkh

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

What about the other EyeTV plugin ? is that dead?

#17 tassitassi

tassitassi

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

I'm interested as well. Sweden + Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (DVB-T ) :)

#18 grover

grover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:20 AM

Here's the very first public alpha release. The plugin itself should run pretty flawlessly. However ffmpeg (even 0.5) still has various bugs preventing it from reading some recordings/playing back live tv in some circumstances. I've tried to circumvent these as much as possible, but need you guys to help me there.

Installation

• I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.2, I'm not sure if it will run on earlier releases of SL. It will definitely not run on Leopard or earlier.
  • You must be running Plex 0.8.5 or later. I haven't tested earlier releases.
  • I'm running EyeTV 3.3, any later version should work - earlier won't.
  • If you want thumbnail overlays for new recordings/currently recording items you need to install MacPorts and the ImageMagick package. Open Terminal and type /opt/local/bin/composite, you should have ImageMagick 6.5.8 or later.
  • You must install the ffmpeg package using MacPorts, this will help me/you identify any issues this plugin has playing back your recordings/live tv. To check the version, type /opt/local/bin/ffmpeg -version. The installed version should be ffmpeg 0.5, which is the version used by Plex.
  • Enable iPhone Streaming support in EyeTV (Preferences->iPhone, you don't need to use My EyeTV)
  • If you're running any version of CyTV, please uninstall its EyeTV plugin and quit CyTV/EyeTV.
  • Download Attached File  EyeTV-Plugin-0.1.plexapp.zip   1.42MB   913 downloads, install and start Plex.
  • The bundled copy of CyTV will start. Allow it to install its plugin into EyeTV.
  • Adjust the preferences of the EyeTV plugin in Plex (see below.)

Copyrights

• Parts of the code taken from the XBMCEyeTvScraper
  • The plugin in its 0.1 version distributes artwork, images and thumbnails copyrighted by Elgato. If someone is skilled with Photoshop (I'm not) please provide me some images to use for the plugin.
  • The plugin distributes a modified CyTV-0.7 alpha 8, kudos to Andreas Junghans, without him this plugin wouldn't be possible.
  • The plugin contains ffmpeg newer than ffmpeg-0.5, which has lots of issues decoding various TV-signals or badly formatted EyeTV recordings. The newer version is able to read these without issues.
  • The plugin (except the artwork from Elgato) is released under GPL.

Bug reports

If you find a bug (and you will :D) please report it here. Try to isolate the bug as much as possible (e.g. don't do anything not necessary to trigger the bug) and attach the following log files from your system:

• Plex.log
  • com.plexapp.plugins.eyetv.log

It may be necessary that you provide a small recording (approx. 5 seconds) for me to figure out some issues, I'll PM you if I need that.

Preferences

The EyeTV plugin provides various preferences:

EyeTV host name

This is the DNS name of the computer EyeTV runs on. This plugin should work, if EyeTV runs on a different mac than Plex. For most of us, localhost (e.g. the computer Plex runs on) is sufficient.

EyeTV port

This holds the port number EyeTV listens on for requests by the iPhone. Don't change unless you know what you're doing.

CyTV port

This holds the port number of the CyTV web interface. Don't change unless you know what you're doing.

Run CyTV upon start

Enabling this will start the bundled CyTV every time Plex starts. Note that this is a slightly modified CyTV, which is not available elsewhere. You should use this version of CyTV unless you've got good reasons to use a different one. If EyeTV runs on a different Mac, disable this option. You should extract CyTV from the EyeTV plugin bundle and install it on the Mac running EyeTV manually.

Show EyeTV recordings

Enables or disables the Recordings option in the EyeTV plugin menu. If you disable it, you won't have access to the EyeTV recordings.

Always stream recordings

No matter if the EyeTV archive is placed on a mounted drive, always use CyTV to stream and transcode recordings to plex. Note that this disables seeking and skipping.

Stream incompatible recordings only

Sniffs a local recording if it can be played back by Plex 0.8.5 and streams it if Plex' version of ffmpeg is not capable of handling it. Should enable you to watch those recordings, but without skipping and seeking. You should set this until Plex upgrades its ffmpeg libraries, but it slows down the Recordings menu.

EyeTV Archive

The path to the EyeTV archive if it is accessible by a mounted drive. You should set this, if EyeTV is running on the same Mac as Plex.

Plex Wishlist

I'm not sure where to put this because I've just started using Plex about a week ago, but here's my wishlist from a developer point-of-view:

• Provide notifications to the plugin, if the user stops playback of a file. (I'd like to update the played status of a file.)
  • Provide an easier way to determine the path a plugin is installed to.
  • Allow resources to be structured in multiple subfolders, right now subfolders don't seem to work.
  • Allow more metadata (TV-view?)
  • Allow a plugin to respond to keyboard events (channel change) and more control over the entire playback experience
  • Is there a possibility to skip/remove/prevent this open stream dialog?
  • Upgrade ffmpeg to the latest version, it has far less problems and would not cause me as much headache as it did. ffmpeg-0.5 has huge problems recognizing recordings and sometimes mistakenly figures something out, which is not there. In the worst case this causes Plex to lock-up/crash. In any case it seems it can't play anything after this happens. Newer releases don't seem to have these detection bugs anymore. This particularly fails with analogue recordings or live playback in Germany (PAL) using EyeTV Hybrid.
  • Provide a notification, when Plex terminates.

Known bugs
  • Plex locks up/crashes with some analogue recordings due to bugs in the ffmpeg libraries used by Plex 0.8.5.

Help needed
  • I need some help with artwork used in the plugin
  • The live tv channel menu shows preview images of the tv station logos. Right now the plugin only contains images for the major german channels, please provide me with additional logos for your region/country according to the name detected by EyeTV.

I hope I didn't forget anything - oh and yeah - Merry Christmas everyone.

#19 jlwest

jlwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

When I try to watch a channel via Plex I get:
Error
Could not read input from stream.

I have a Mini 1.83 running SL 10.6.2, eyetv 3.3, Plex 0.8.5. and EyeTv 250Plus.
Regarding the below instruction:
Enabling this will start the bundled CyTV every time Plex starts. Note that this is a slightly modified CyTV, which is not available elsewhere. You should use this version of CyTV unless you've got good reasons to use a different one. If EyeTV runs on a different Mac, disable this option. You should extract CyTV from the EyeTV plugin bundle and install it on the Mac running EyeTV manually.

Is the bold/underlined portion to be installed in addition to the app?
If so can you help this non-code writing/editing goof out by supplying the CyTv code you changed for the install?
Hopefully getting that additional CyTv code fixes my issue.

I am able to watch EyeTv normally.
Thanks for the effort and hopefully this is something that I am doing wrong and the app works great.

#20 grover

grover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

Is the bold/underlined portion to be installed in addition to the app?
If so can you help this non-code writing/editing goof out by supplying the CyTv code you changed for the install?
Hopefully getting that additional CyTv code fixes my issue.

Only if you have a setup with two Macs, where Plex runs on one and EyeTV on another one. Please attach the logs i've requested above or PM me those, I'll take a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users