7 replies to this topic

#1 nadocrew

nadocrew

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

It would be great if Plex supported .SUP subtitles so I wouldn't have to covert all the blu ray subtitles to .srt.

#2 Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Don't know what the logistics are of this, but +1

I can't convert any of my blurays that have subtitles, because there's no way to watch them.

#3 jmerrilljr

jmerrilljr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

I can't convert any of my blurays that have subtitles, because there's no way to watch them.

The next version of ffmpeg will support this so it we should see this feature eventually.
http://ffmpeg.org/changelog.html

#4 lilyandsadie

lilyandsadie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

I would read up on BDSup2Sub. I encode all of my Blu-Rays to MKV. After I've done that I use TSMuxer to demux subtitles, open the subs in DBSup2Sub, then export them to idx/sub format. Lastly I use MKVmerge to add the newly exported subs to the MKV I created earlier. Now I've got subs that I can turn off an on in Plex :D

#5 Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

I would read up on BDSup2Sub. I encode all of my Blu-Rays to MKV. After I've done that I use TSMuxer to demux subtitles, open the subs in DBSup2Sub, then export them to idx/sub format. Lastly I use MKVmerge to add the newly exported subs to the MKV I created earlier. Now I've got subs that I can turn off an on in Plex :D

It's that simple.

:blink:

Yeah, I tried that once. It was a lot of effort, and didn't really seem to work that great. I would have had to manually enter the majority of the subs, because it didn't seem to recognize them correctly. Are you having a different experience? Maybe they have made improvements since I tried...

#6 lilyandsadie

lilyandsadie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

I realize it's quite a few steps, however since I've been doing subs this way for more than 6 months I haven't had a single issue. Once the idx/sub format has been added into the mkv, it has always looked perfect. This is everything from subs pulled from Akira to weird alien talk in District 9 (gotta love forced subs!). BDSup2Sub never gave me odd-looking subs either. I'm just avoiding having a separate subtitle file that I need to point to.

I guess everyone's mileage will vary, but I've probably done at least 15-20 movies with subs pulled from the Blu-Ray and they've worked great.

It's that simple.

:blink:

Yeah, I tried that once. It was a lot of effort, and didn't really seem to work that great. I would have had to manually enter the majority of the subs, because it didn't seem to recognize them correctly. Are you having a different experience? Maybe they have made improvements since I tried...

#7 nadocrew

nadocrew

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:55 AM

I know how to convert the subtitles to sub/idx. Its just a couple extra steps that are annoying. It would be better if Plex supported .sup files natively.

#8 ooze

ooze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

I know how to convert the subtitles to sub/idx. Its just a couple extra steps that are annoying. It would be better if Plex supported .sup files natively.

any news on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users