• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dutchgirl

dutchgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hi,I have used Fairmount, D-Subtitler and Handbrake to create an mp4 file of Pride and Prejudice. I'm trying to get soft subtitles on the mp4 file so that they can be turned on/off rather than burned in permanently. Problem is: the movie won't play on Plex. It will play on VLC, so i'm pretty sure the .srt file I imported into Handbrake got encoded properly. I read on a plex forum that Plex doesn't support .srt subtitle files, but then i read elsewhere that it does. Can someone please help me figure out how to use Handbrake with soft titles and Plex? I like both applications and want to find a solution. Thanks.

#2 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

yes, plex does support srt subs, but not (currently) in mp4 containers. the mp4 container spec doesn't support soft subs, theres a long thread on it somewhere around here if you care to find it.

the solution? use MKV containers! you can recontainer existing encodes with mkvmerge without having to encode in handbrake again.

or if you absolutely insist on using the crappy mp4 container, you can just leave the srt subs as seperate files in the same folder and plex will find them as long as the filename is the same as the movie, eg: "movie (1971).mp4", "movie (1971).srt"

#3 Hebhansen

Hebhansen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

or if you absolutely insist on using the crappy mp4 container, you can just leave the srt subs as seperate files in the same folder and plex will find them as long as the filename is the same as the movie, eg: "movie (1971).mp4", "movie (1971).srt"

Can I add multiple subs?? I mean if it has to have the same name how can a differ more files?

Btw. what's wrong with crappy mp4 container? What is preferred and why?

What's the difference between mp4 and m4v? and that as opposed to mkv. Would really like to know...
HB

Plex: Server - Center - Streaming, running on:
Mac Mini 2,53GHz 4MB Ram - Zepto 42" Plasma - DIY active reference speakers stereo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users