56 replies to this topic

#1 Dbl_A

Dbl_A

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

Here is a rough plugin for ESPN3. It's also my first plugin, so lower your expectations. ;)

FYI- THERE ARE NO PLAYER CONTROLS!!!

I'll be working on it, so we'll see how much better it can get.

EDIT: It's now available in the App Store, and does have "pause?"

Good luck,
Dbl_A

PS- Thanks to Jonny Wray for the "encouragement."
Developed Plug-ins:
CBS / ESPN 3 / Nick Jr. / PBS Kids / MTV Shows / MTVMusic.com / Nickelodeon / Crackle
Helped with:
ABC / TNT / GreatTV.ca
Donate

#2 ShavenYak

ShavenYak

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

EDIT: I've updated and posted here: ESPN 3

The download link there isn't working... :(

#3 Dbl_A

Dbl_A

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:03 AM

The download link there isn't working... :(

Sorry about that, should be working now.
Developed Plug-ins:
CBS / ESPN 3 / Nick Jr. / PBS Kids / MTV Shows / MTVMusic.com / Nickelodeon / Crackle
Helped with:
ABC / TNT / GreatTV.ca
Donate

#4 ShavenYak

ShavenYak

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

Ok, I like the categories, but I'm still only seeing the top half or so of the player window... any idea what's up?

Wait... it's not your plugin. Hulu is doing it too. Something screwy must be going on with Webkit in general.

eta: Ah hah, got it sorted out now - setting interlaced handling and applying to all movies hoses up webkit plugins. Watching some Aussie Rules now. You rock!

#5 Tilpots

Tilpots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Dbl A-

You're a godsend... but I'm having a problem! I've downloaded and installed the app, can see the menu options, but I can't get anything to play. The prompt tells me it's downloading the video but nothing ever happens.

As a note, I'm not on a provider that partners with ESPN, but I do use a password from my parents, who do have access. I've spoken with ESPN reps that have told me this is a legitimate way to access the site, they actually recommended I do it. Maybe this is the problem? Where would I be able to enter a username and password?

I currently watch ESPN 3 through Firefox, so I know it works, but I'd love to be able to launch it straight from Plex. Thanks so much for your work on this and I'd really appreciate your help!!!

#6 Dbl_A

Dbl_A

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Dbl A-

You're a godsend... but I'm having a problem! I've downloaded and installed the app, can see the menu options, but I can't get anything to play. The prompt tells me it's downloading the video but nothing ever happens.

As a note, I'm not on a provider that partners with ESPN, but I do use a password from my parents, who do have access. I've spoken with ESPN reps that have told me this is a legitimate way to access the site, they actually recommended I do it. Maybe this is the problem? Where would I be able to enter a username and password?

I currently watch ESPN 3 through Firefox, so I know it works, but I'd love to be able to launch it straight from Plex. Thanks so much for your work on this and I'd really appreciate your help!!!

This is, I imagine, going to be the biggest issue. As there are "tons" of ISP's that offer ESPN 3, I'm sure they each have their own way to log in (if you are accessing outside of their network...)
I'm on Verizon, and I think you have to log in at surround.verizon.net (or something) I personally have never tried to access from outside Verizon...

What ISP do your parents have? And do you know how you log in to watch via FireFox?

-Dbl_A
Developed Plug-ins:
Helped with:
ABC / TNT / GreatTV.ca
Donate

#7 Tilpots

Tilpots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

This is, I imagine, going to be the biggest issue. As there are "tons" of ISP's that offer ESPN 3, I'm sure they each have their own way to log in (if you are accessing outside of their network...)
I'm on Verizon, and I think you have to log in at surround.verizon.net (or something) I personally have never tried to access from outside Verizon...

What ISP do your parents have? And do you know how you log in to watch via FireFox?

-Dbl_A

My parents use Comcast. When I access ESPN 3 using Firefox, I click on one of the watch now videos, then I am prompted to choose which provider I'm using. I select Comcast and I'm either taken straight to the video becasue it remebers my settings or to login on a Comcast page (the remember me login only lasts 30 days for a Comcast sign-in).

How does ESPN 3 know that you are on Verizon? Can a plug in know where to look for a stored password in keychain? Somehow the Hulu plug-in lets me sign in to my account so I can see what's in My Queue and add subscriptions. Is something like this possible?

I know you're new to this and I have no idea about programming, but you let me know what you need from me and I'll do my best to help. Thanks!

#8 ShavenYak

ShavenYak

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

I think the login is actually on ESPN's site. At least, that's how it worked for 360, it might have changed. If they use a cookie, you might be able to log on with Safari and then use the plugin, that works for some web video plugins.

#9 Tilpots

Tilpots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

Alright, I completely deleted Firefox off my computer, deleted the ESPN3 bundle and then rebooted. Came back up and then logged in to ESPN 3 with Safari and got the videos to play. I then re-downloaded the ESPN3 Plex plugin and tried to get it working. Still no dice. It just hangs on the Opening Stream pop up.

When either of you first opened the Plex plug in, does it prompt you for any login info? I'm just not sure how the ESPN site would know if it's a valid incoming connection or not. I can get ESPN3 to work in Safari, I can even browse all the videos on the Plex plugin, they just won't Open the Stream???

I'm open to ny ideas if you all have them...

#10 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

I think the bottom line is the current ESPN plugin only works for anonymous accounts. It certainly works for me and I've never logged into the ESPN site. I actually don't know why but they think I'm on comcast but I'm not. I'm with sonic.net who maybe an affiliate I guess.

Anyway, the plugin would need extending to add authentication along the lines of what you are using.

Jonny

#11 Dbl_A

Dbl_A

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

I don't know how difficult this would be, but it appears that Verizon and Comcast customers can simply log in to their accounts. http://espn.go.com/b...d/espn360/faq#5

I also read this on Wikipedia (though there is no source):
"As of February, 2009, however, if a "myESPN" account is tied to an affiliated ISP, ESPN3 can be accessed from a computer that is not on that ISP's network. This effectively makes ESPN3 access available to myESPN viewers outside their ISP's network."

Does anyone know how the cookies are handled with Plex? Would it be fairly simple to have the plugin log in to your "Verizon/Comcast" or even "MyESPN" account and then load the player?

I would really like to tackle this, but I don't have access to a non-affiliated ISP. So, that makes it rather difficult with my style of coding. ;)

@Jonny -Interesting, Sonic isn't listed as an affiliate...
http://espn.go.com/b...espn360/affList
Developed Plug-ins:
Helped with:
ABC / TNT / GreatTV.ca
Donate

#12 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

Login can range from simple to difficult, depending on what the provider does. Usually it's a matter of sending a post request emulating the login form on the web page. Cookies etc are generally handles for you in the background by PMS.

But, as you said, someone in this specific situation (has a comcast account but on a non comcast ISP) would need to write and test it.

Jonny

I don't know how difficult this would be, but it appears that Verizon and Comcast customers can simply log in to their accounts. http://espn.go.com/b...d/espn360/faq#5

I also read this on Wikipedia (though there is no source):
"As of February, 2009, however, if a "myESPN" account is tied to an affiliated ISP, ESPN3 can be accessed from a computer that is not on that ISP's network. This effectively makes ESPN3 access available to myESPN viewers outside their ISP's network."

Does anyone know how the cookies are handled with Plex? Would it be fairly simple to have the plugin log in to your "Verizon/Comcast" or even "MyESPN" account and then load the player?

I would really like to tackle this, but I don't have access to a non-affiliated ISP. So, that makes it rather difficult with my style of coding. ;)

@Jonny -Interesting, Sonic isn't listed as an affiliate...
http://espn.go.com/b...espn360/affList

#13 ShavenYak

ShavenYak

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:25 AM

Or you could always go to a business with free WiFi to test. You might have to search a little for one whose connection isn't recognized as an ESPN affiliate, though.

#14 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Not sure carting my iMac down to a coffee shop is too viable :)

Jonny

Or you could always go to a business with free WiFi to test. You might have to search a little for one whose connection isn't recognized as an ESPN affiliate, though.

#15 Tilpots

Tilpots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Glad to hear that you have made such progress for others who aren't stuck with TWC's bullshit. Even though I can't use it right now, I'm sure this is a fantastic app! If I knew how to code, I'd give it a whirl, but I'm clueless. Guess I'll just keep using Safari for now...

#16 stampedes

stampedes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Given that its page has been blanked on the wiki, are we to assume that this app is no more, and won't work currently, or is there some other (legalish) reason?

#17 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

better, it was released as espn3 plugin thanks to dbla.

Given that its page has been blanked on the wiki, are we to assume that this app is no more, and won't work currently, or is there some other (legalish) reason?

#18 nobody

nobody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

I get no audio on live games :(

#19 Dbl_A

Dbl_A

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

I get no audio on live games :(

hmm...
Works for me. You might check your setup.

-Dbl_A
Developed Plug-ins:
Helped with:
ABC / TNT / GreatTV.ca
Donate

#20 nobody

nobody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Ha, what does that even mean? It's the only application / plugin that doesn't give me audio, I believe my setup is set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users