• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

First of all, AWESOME JOB GUYS, really looking good!

Think I found a bug: Enabled the rename and delete option in the Advanced section of the settings but when holding down the menu button (as it did work in Plex 8) on a file within Plex I can't rename or delete it.

#2 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

I think that is a Plex 8 feature that was never implemented into Plex/Nine... I'm not sure if it will or not either.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

I think that is a Plex 8 feature that was never implemented into Plex/Nine... I'm not sure if it will or not either.

Well the option to enable it is still there and in the Pictures plugin section it does work.

#4 fredaroony

fredaroony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

I would really like this feature back too as I used it all the time in Plex .8. Surprised that this is the only post about it!

#5 Bruce Dumes

Bruce Dumes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

I would really like this feature back too as I used it all the time in Plex .8. Surprised that this is the only post about it!

I suspect this is a result of the separation of the media manager from the user interface. Since the UI just gets data from the media manager, it would be inappropriate to have the UI muck with it. And Elan and Co. have stated numerous times that editing the metadata (like renaming) would not be available in the initial release of Plex 9.

#6 fredaroony

fredaroony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

I really only want a way to delete files. If you cant delete files from the interface then it takes away from being a complete media manager.

#7 Bruce Dumes

Bruce Dumes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I really only want a way to delete files. If you cant delete files from the interface then it takes away from being a complete media manager.

I understand how you feel, but think of it this way: since Plex Nine allows you to run the interface on any number of computers, using the media manager as the source, would you *really* want to allow delete access to any of those remote computers? I'm basically thinking of someone in my house accidentally deleting a movie.

The media manager is the media manager, not the interface. At least I *think* that's what they intended. :-)
  • Jam likes this

#8 TheMadBrewer

TheMadBrewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:58 AM

This is a bit of a dealbreaker for me (not that that matters to anybody). I don't want to keep most TV shows around forever, I delete them as I watch them.

Back to .8, I guess.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:04 AM

This is a bit of a dealbreaker for me (not that that matters to anybody). I don't want to keep most TV shows around forever, I delete them as I watch them.

Back to .8, I guess.

Indeed.

Don't get me wrong, 9 looks really good but the possibility to delete (can't remember when I used renaming) means that much to me that I to will be switching back.

#10 tax

tax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

I second the "we need delete/rename" in plex. Though I wouldnt mind (or even prefer) finding this functionality in the media manager, now that the management is separated from the Viewing-UI.
While the "Fix Incorrect Match..." does work pretty well, there are some cases where i just want to remove certain files from the library.

but anyway, I like the new plex so far - great work guys, keep it up!

#11 Chris F

Chris F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

Yes I do the same as described. I liked being able to delete an episode right after it was watched to make room for more data on the drive. I would not enable this feature on every computer just the one that I would use to manage the episodes from. I would like to avoid digging in the finder. If I need to do that might as well double click on the next episode and play from there while I'm at deleting the old episodes.

#12 plk

plk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

I needed to rename some files locally after noticing they appeared in the media manager with names I didn't want (Qi Series G was appearing as its own show, so I moved it into the correct Qi folder, the show Aim For the Top 2 needed to be renamed to Gunbuster 2). But the next time the media manager scanned, these changes didn't appear in the media manager. Is there no way to get rid of incorrectly named shows? When I open up the media server, the old show still appears there with the old name, but won't play because I've renamed it.

Edited to add these shows are on a networked drive on a win7 computer.

#13 plk

plk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

So the only way I can find to get the media manager to reflect deletions and name changes I make on networked drives is to remove that source and add it again. That means re-scanning the entire contents of that volume. There has to be a better way, right?

#14 lpr

lpr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:47 AM

I sure hope it's a bug, this option *needs* to be back...

#15 speedkills

speedkills

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

Agreed, please bring back the ability to delete. That is one of the many things that makes Plex so much better than the many DLNA clients out there, they all can play your files, I want to be able to delete them when I am done to make room for the continuous supply of new stuff I have automatically downloading. If I have to quite plex to manually delete then a little bit of the magic is gone.

#16 lpr

lpr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

Could we have a confirmation if this is a bug or by desing?

Thanks in advance.

#17 MILE

MILE

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:05 AM

Not sure how the majority of users does it, but I as many in this thread, I too watch a lot of TV shows and there's really no need to keep stuff I have already seen so for many shows I would bring up the context menu after watching an episode and delete it right after watching -- but now I can't do that anymore…?! Why is that…?! :unsure:

So now I have to remember which episodes I have watched, then go back to the Finder, navigate to the correct files and then delete them in the Finder…?! Really…?! :o

Can someone tell me whether this is a temporary thing…? Will the feature come back…? If not, that's a major dealbreaker for me…

:: Mac OS X -- because making UNIX user-friendly was easier than fixing Windows! ::

#18 deltwalrus

deltwalrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:38 AM

Not sure how the majority of users does it, but I as many in this thread, I too watch a lot of TV shows and there's really no need to keep stuff I have already seen so for many shows I would bring up the context menu after watching an episode and delete it right after watching -- but now I can't do that anymore…?! Why is that…?! :unsure:

So now I have to remember which episodes I have watched, then go back to the Finder, navigate to the correct files and then delete them in the Finder…?! Really…?! :o

Can someone tell me whether this is a temporary thing…? Will the feature come back…? If not, that's a major dealbreaker for me…

I completely second that emotion. This is EXACTLY what a media center ought to do. Plex was a media center first before it morphed into this multi-client serving version. I like where it's going, don't get me wrong, but I also very much like where it's been.

Please re-enable this ASAP!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-- Mark Twain

#19 Chris F

Chris F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:40 AM

I don't think this topic is getting enough attention. This is a big big reason plex is nice to use. Can we expect this to come back soon?

#20 MILE

MILE

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

I just stumbled over this checkbox in the advanced preferences, but it doesn't really seem to do anything…!? :(

Oh well, it was worth a try…

Attached Files

:: Mac OS X -- because making UNIX user-friendly was easier than fixing Windows! ::

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users