• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nebarik

nebarik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

Having no coding experience whatsoever. would it be difficult for someone to develop a scanner plug in that could scan the metadata thats embedded in the local MP4 file already?

I tend to tag all my media with Metax, then let itunes sort it out into appropriate folders for me, and basically look after it all in its automagical way. Im sure im not the only one that has Plex point at the itunes media folder. Kinda annoying to go through all that work, only for the media manager to decide it perfers a low res DVD cover (for a DIFFERENT film sometimes) from imdb over my hi res poster i spent ages on google looking for.

Thanks!

#2 MacFly

MacFly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hi all,

+1

metadata inn MP4/M4V scanning is really missing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you'll include it in plex instead of trynig to get metadata from the net that mostly are bad !

99% of my movies have a bad movie poster when using parsing from plex

100% of my movies contains the good movie poster inside the file itself, no need to check over internet to find it, read the file metadata and it's done !

Cheers
 Mac mini Server mid 2010  Philips 52"LED  Kenwood KRF-V8090D AV Receiver  Synology DS1511+ (20 To)  AppleTV 2 
=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•= Waiting for an updated PMS to put it on my Synology =•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=

#3 nebarik

nebarik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

just found a bug/way around mp4 scanning and all that.

if you go into music plug in > then into your itunes library. each tv show of mine shows up as a artist. which i can play.

it has its album art, and episode titles. but because it thinks its music, theres no episode description, or season/episode ordering

that said. if i go into video plug ing > itunes, all i get is a single podcast (out of about 50) and no other itunes videos :(

maybe a mp4 scanner isnt too far off if we just let itunes handle it?

#4 q-dog2k

q-dog2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I am one of those guys that TAGS his Movies and TV Shows with MetaX. But only Text Data. I add Covers and Posters in iTunes. For every Movie a Film Poster, DVD Cover and a CD Cover. Sometimes some Fan Art Pictures too. I would Love to see Plex using this Data. If it´s possible, it would be nice to have the option to use this written Data for my Files, and Data from the Net for Files that don´t have any Meta Data written to it.

#5 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

MP4 metadata support is definitely something we'll be adding, just as soon as we've got all the current bugs under control! We need to fix what's out there already before unleashing anything else ;)

The good news is that it won't take much work to add - limited MP4 metadata support is already there, but only used to extract the season & episode numbers from files.

#6 nebarik

nebarik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:20 AM

MP4 metadata support is definitely something we'll be adding, just as soon as we've got all the current bugs under control! We need to fix what's out there already before unleashing anything else ;)

The good news is that it won't take much work to add - limited MP4 metadata support is already there, but only used to extract the season & episode numbers from files.

oh sweet. this explains why my poorly named media was still automagically discovered and scanned. i just thought the scanner was way more awesome then i thought it was.

thanks!

#7 beelsebob

beelsebob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

+1 Just getting the TV shows and movies from iTunes into the right place would instantly make plex very usable for me.

#8 cnf

cnf

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

+1, lots of DVD rips which are properly tagged, and most of the home vids are as well.

#9 ukie

ukie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Happy to here that this shouldn't take long :)
Also, is there a way to have Plex scan in the ratings and playlists from iTunes into Movies/TV Shows/Music without having to go to the Plugin folders in Plex to access this information?
It's really nice to have all my media organized in iTunes and have it automatically scanned in to Plex with all its meta data=D

#10 macshome

macshome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:00 AM

Good to hear it's coming. Since there are no metadata agent sources out there for much of my content I just tag it.

It's all wonderful in iTunes. I want it to be even more wonderful in Plex!

#11 Nemesis7

Nemesis7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

Any updates?

#12 rharder

rharder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Bummer. Old thread. I'm disappointed that the easily-organized TV shows in iTunes turn to garbage in Plex. Isn't there a simple filename reader that groups "TV Shows" by folder?

-Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users