6 replies to this topic

#1 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:14 AM

Decided to start a new thread so this info doesn't get buried in the other threads among a variety of other issues.

So after my experiments downgrading to 10.6.3 and using Plex for awhile with little problems, and then upgrading to 10.6.5 and having no issues for a couple of days ... was watching tonight and had some stuttering ... so I began to realize something ...

My 10.6.3 was a clean install. Upgraded to 10.6.5 and everything was still stock. Then I decided to install iStat Server so I could monitor CPU usage via my iPhone. Gave it little thought as I run it on a bunch of other machines at work, etc.

Well, as that was the only thing I've done to the Mini I decided to uninstall it. Rewatched the program that was stuttering, and voila it played perfect again.

Did some random Googling on iStat server and have seen other posts about random system lags .. I think its due to the Intel Sensors that iStats Server installs.

Regardless, the point of this thread is to open up the idea that there may be many things that affect Plex / Video / Streaming performance that have nothing to do with Plex or our stock machines. I saw in some other thread that someone discovered problems caused by a remote program (like Remote Buddy or something similar.) So if you find any conflicting software issues, it may be helpful to start a list here.

For the record, I'm talking about mac/system 3rd party add-ons, NOT plugins within Plex itself.

-------------------

Running PMS on a MacMini and Synology 412+

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

Fav Plex Feature: SYNC!

#2 Zoiks

Zoiks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

Hmmmm,

Not sure. Though I may have a couple of programs installed on my MacMini that are non-Plex related, (Mobile Mouse comes to mind), I have not added any applications since this mini became a dedicated Plex machine. In it's past, (Pre Plex 9) it played 720p content with no issue. Now it does. To me, it still points to something in Plex (or) Mac OS X versions that are breaking it.

I am pulling my hair out trying to fix this, but without any luck, and with no progress or recent discussion from developers, (minus the fix for VIDEO_TS which is not my particular issue, mine is with HD mkv files, particularly over wired network (local content plays fine), I am considering (sadly) dropping plex for other options, or abandoning the whole idea of a media server all together.

This has been an unaddressed problem for too long.

cheers

#3 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Well you might want to go through and disable stuff to find out. I am watching up to 720p mkv's over Wireless N with no problems now. There is no way to completely rule out 3rd party problems without actually going through and finding out ... otherwise you'll just remain frustrated.

If you still have problems after ruling everything out, then your frustration can be justified :D

Also "This has been an unaddressed problem for too long" is an unfair statement to the Devs and other users like myself who have spent hours troubleshooting. Again, I think a big part of it was 10.6.4's fault with the video chipsets, but everyone has been working hard to address the issue. If not, I wouldn't have even bothered with this thread, I'd just enjoy myself at home B)

Furthermore, if we find 3rd party stuff that interferes with Plex, the Devs can be aware of that and either 1. Fix Plex if its the problem or 2. Spread information about programs that can cause problems.

Just my 2cents

-------------------

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

#4 Zoiks

Zoiks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

Well you might want to go through and disable stuff to find out. I am watching up to 720p mkv's over Wireless N with no problems now. There is no way to completely rule out 3rd party problems without actually going through and finding out ... otherwise you'll just remain frustrated.

If you still have problems after ruling everything out, then your frustration can be justified :D

Also "This has been an unaddressed problem for too long" is an unfair statement to the Devs and other users like myself who have spent hours troubleshooting. Again, I think a big part of it was 10.6.4's fault with the video chipsets, but everyone has been working hard to address the issue. If not, I wouldn't have even bothered with this thread, I'd just enjoy myself at home B)

Furthermore, if we find 3rd party stuff that interferes with Plex, the Devs can be aware of that and either 1. Fix Plex if its the problem or 2. Spread information about programs that can cause problems.

Just my 2cents

You 2 cents is worth a few bucks… I will (when I get time on Sunday) uninstall working applications and 3rd Party System Preference prefs to see what happens. You are right, it may be something 3rd party that is breaking it. I will try.

If that does not work, I will reinstall SL, 10.6.5 combo and PLEX and NOTHING else to see how it goes…

I will report to this thread by one week from now.

Cheers

#5 jcastera

jcastera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:29 PM

5string, are you runnin sab and sickbeard on that same Mini ?

#6 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

5string, are you runnin sab and sickbeard on that same Mini ?

No, all my sab/sickbeard/couchpotato activity takes place on the MacPro PMS ... the only thing the Mini does is run Plex client (well, and a small sub-PMS for foreign films)

-------------------

#7 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:58 AM

You 2 cents is worth a few bucks… I will (when I get time on Sunday) uninstall working applications and 3rd Party System Preference prefs to see what happens. You are right, it may be something 3rd party that is breaking it. I will try.

If that does not work, I will reinstall SL, 10.6.5 combo and PLEX and NOTHING else to see how it goes…

I will report to this thread by one week from now.

Cheers

Did you ever try this? Been longer than a week! :D :)

-------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users