7 replies to this topic

#1 Confuzed One

Confuzed One

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'll try to keep it simple, and hope some of you can help me out.

I have a Hackintosh (a PC converted to Mac OS X) running Snow Leopard, all updates done.

The machine runs great, and i use it as a "media box", holding all my movies, and streaming to all my devices (Apple TV, iPhone 4, PlayStation, Xbox)...

The Plex Media Server works great! I have no complaints. It works on all devices (even the new Apple TV with the jailbroken Plex client works fantastic!).

Plex Client, on the other hand, opens up as a Gray screen. This is probably due to "smart" display detection or something like that i read somewhere, but didn't give any "fix".

Does anyone offer any suggestion? On my Hackintosh, it's not the full video drivers, but i would like to "force" Plex Client to load in the lowest resolution possible.. maybe this will resolve my gray box issue.

Thanks in advance!

Confuzed One

#2 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

I just started experiencing the same issue on my Hackintosh Dell mini 10v. Previously I've run Plex 0.8 and 0.9 on this machine, but it no longer will display video. Oddly enough I do hear the menu clicks as I scroll around through the options, but the screen stays grey. It's as if the OS thinks there isn't a display connected. Anyone else?

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

#3 Confuzed One

Confuzed One

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:16 AM

I just started experiencing the same issue on my Hackintosh Dell mini 10v. Previously I've run Plex 0.8 and 0.9 on this machine, but it no longer will display video. Oddly enough I do hear the menu clicks as I scroll around through the options, but the screen stays grey. It's as if the OS thinks there isn't a display connected. Anyone else?

Isn't there a way to "force" a certain resolution or screen size?

#4 boots2x

boots2x

IP Challenged Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:11 AM

Sounds like it... if Mac OS X doesn't 'see' a display connected it can't pass the display context to applications. People were seeing a grey screen with the UI sounds working when Screen Sharing to a headless Mac. I'd say that's the cause of the issue... how to fix it is another thing! You might need to check for drivers etc...

James

These resources are your friends! The Plex Help Center | The Plex Forums | Forum Search is DEFINITELY your friend!

Check the Plex Media Preparation Guide! | Learn how to collect Log filesGet MediaInfo to analyse video files

Plex Media Server: Mac OS X and ReadyNAS Pro 6 | Plex Clients: Mac Mini 2010 2.66Ghz, 2Gb RAM, AppleTV Gen 2, iPhone 3GS | LG 56" DLP-TV | Sherwood AV Amp | Storage: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6 x 2Gb Hitachi HDD for 8Tb storage | Network: Cat 6 cabled, 1000BaseT

#5 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

The "grey screen" will also be caused by a graphics card or driver that isn't fully supported by OS X, i.e. one that doesn't support Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

#6 Confuzed One

Confuzed One

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

So, there is no way to get Plex working on VESA?

#7 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

No. Plex requires OpenGL-capable hardware and drivers.

#8 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

I know I had both Plex 0.8 and 0.9 running on my Hackintosh previously, I wonder what changed...

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)