16 replies to this topic

#1 bryanc83

bryanc83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hello,

I am a new user of Plex. So far, searching through the forums has really helped me setup Plex and work out the kinks. However, I have one main problem. My current library is entirely physical media (300+ DVDs). I am in the process of ripping my old DVDs for use in my new Mac Mini. I am using RipIt and Mac DVDRipper Pro to rip my DVDs. I have had problems with playback of both Video_TS and ISO folders on Plex. I can verify that the files are good by opening them with VLC and the DVD Player app. The problems range from refusal to play, program jams for a couple a minute or so, or Plex will totally quit. The problems seem to be totally random. I've had Video_TS folders and ISO files that worked fine in Plex. Once I had an ISO file refuse to play so I mounted and extracted the Video_TS folder. Plex was able to play the Video_TS just fine.

With this said, would I have better luck with mkv files? I have a couple of 720p mkv files that I downloaded that work great on Plex. I don't have experience, but I've heard that MakeMKV is a good program for ripping DVDs directly to mkv format.

Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 LordDeff

LordDeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

You should have zero problems playing mkv. I know a couple of users have had issues with TS though.

#3 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

I would suggest not making video_ts or ISO part of your long term strategy. You can use something like MakeMKV to convert all of your video_TS folders to single MKV files. If you have TV shows in video_TS you can easily make the episodes individual MKV files with MakeMKV. Using this strategy will not only ensure the best possible playback on the mac client but on the iOS and future clients that require transcoding.

#4 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8573 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

Yup, going to a regular video file format (mkv, m4v, mp4, etc.) would certainly be a good route to take. For myself, I use Handbrake to rip my DVDs, but MakeMKV is also very popular (Handbrake will encode the video making it smaller but possibly losing out on a small bit of quality, whereas MakeMKV will just grab the raw video itself which can be fairly large).

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#5 alkie4life

alkie4life

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

Definitely go MKV. I did the whole VIDEO_TS thing with 167 discs and now I'm seriously regretting it and debating converting all of them to MKV. Not only that but MakeMKV is without a doubt the simplest, easiest, and most consistent tool to use. I've done MtR3, MtR4, RipIt, etc. MakeMKV is way better. Only reason I would stray from it is if you want all the bonus features and what not, in which case ISO might be the best bet. Don't do VIDEO_TS. Take it from someone who has wasted literally weeks of man hours doing this...

#6 jimx1169

jimx1169

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Just to add my $0.02 worth... Using Plex 8 I had 300+ movies ripped to VIDEO_TS using MTR3, MTR4, and Ripit. After changing to Plex 9, the VIDEO_TS files no longer worked (although they do now). I'll agree with everyone that MakeMKV is the way to go for the long term. I re-ripped everything either with MakeMKV or re-encoded the VIDEO_TS files using Handbrake to .mkv and I'm much happier now. YMMV
2012 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD, OS X 10.8.2.

#7 Blip

Blip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Just to be clear, using MKV there is no way to utilize the menus of a DVD, correct? Such as bonus features, or chapter selection, etc? When a DVD is ripped as MKV, it simply creates separate MKV files for whichever video segments are found on the disc, right?

2.4 GHz MBP, Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM OSX 10.8.3
1.83 GHz iMac, Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM OSX 10.6.8
1.8 GHz G5, Power PC, 2GB RAM OSX 10.5.8

#8 nerpissad

nerpissad

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

Just to be clear, using MKV there is no way to utilize the menus of a DVD, correct? Such as bonus features, or chapter selection, etc? When a DVD is ripped as MKV, it simply creates separate MKV files for whichever video segments are found on the disc, right?

yes, that's right. makeMKV does however retain chapter markers that you can skip to.

What to do if you're new to Plex?
First you should have a look at the Plex Wiki, its full of all sorts of useful information. For all initial set-up questions, the screencasts are an invaluable source of answers.
If you still can't solve your problem, your
Plex log files are very useful source of information. Zip them up and attach them to your post.

#9 Blip

Blip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

yes, that's right. makeMKV does however retain chapter markers that you can skip to.

Excellent, thank you very much. :)

2.4 GHz MBP, Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM OSX 10.8.3
1.83 GHz iMac, Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM OSX 10.6.8
1.8 GHz G5, Power PC, 2GB RAM OSX 10.5.8

#10 matt21

matt21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but does MKV work on an AppleTV? I already have PLEX setup but want to have an Apple TV in my bedroom and kids room and want to have 1 format that will serve both PLEX and the AppleTV. What is the best way to do this?

Matt

#11 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8573 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

I don't know 100%, but I don't think AppleTV will natively support the MKV container. I know it does definitely support the M4V container, though, which really isn't all that different in practice than MKV for most things (I want to say the main differences are better multiple track audio/subtitle support in MKV, but not positive).

I've never used MakeMKV myself, but I assume from the name that it really only supports putting the video source that gets pulled out into an MKV container. If you do encodes with Handbrake, though, then it definitely supports using the M4V container (and even has a settings preset for AppleTV or Apple products or something like that, which should ensure your results are compatible).

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#12 GSX

GSX

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but does MKV work on an AppleTV? I already have PLEX setup but want to have an Apple TV in my bedroom and kids room and want to have 1 format that will serve both PLEX and the AppleTV. What is the best way to do this?

Matt

iTunes does not support MKV and therefore neither will the AppleTV. Currently the AppleTV gets its media from iTunes and if it does not work with iTunes it will not work on the AppleTV. Currently your only option is to jailbreak the AppleTV to allow it play more codecs(I have no experience in doing this), or wait and see if hopefully Apple will open the AppleTV app store which will open it up to playing more content from other sources(Plex, VLC, etc.).

I think it has been confirmed that there will eventually be an AppleTV app store, but Apple is waiting for "When the time is right.". Unfortunately, nobody knows when that might be; and it could be a month from now, or two years from now.

#13 harpster

harpster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

iTunes does not support MKV and therefore neither will the AppleTV. Currently the AppleTV gets its media from iTunes and if it does not work with iTunes it will not work on the AppleTV. Currently your only option is to jailbreak the AppleTV to allow it play more codecs(I have no experience in doing this), or wait and see if hopefully Apple will open the AppleTV app store which will open it up to playing more content from other sources(Plex, VLC, etc.).

MKV works on a jailbroken ATV2 with the Plex App added.

#14 DerJulian

DerJulian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hi guys.

I use MakeMKV but have one problem: most of my MKV-Files have two audio-tracks, but on the ATV2 I'm not able to choose between them.
But with VLC on my Mac I can choose between both. Why doesn't the ATV show both tracks?

#15 Smithcraft

Smithcraft

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Because the ATV does not support the AC3 tracks?

SC
2.33 GHz Core i5 2011 mini with 8 GB
OS X 10.7.5
Loving Plex since 0.7.8

#16 arodgers66

arodgers66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Ok...I am dumb as a post when it comes to this stuff.....and really a newbie to using this and any kind of unit that talks between my TV and computer.My brother got this for me for X Mas and I have been enjoying it to an extent.My knowledge is very limited and I a in need of some guidance.I have a Vizio co star and I am running Plex on my Mac.There are so many movies in many different formats that will not play via Plex on my TV and many without sound.....where do I start ?Any info will help...but please speak to me in the most laymens terms possible.Thank you in advance.

#17 arodgers66

arodgers66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Hi once again.....I am having problems with all the MKV files that I am trying to watch through my Vizio Co Star.They play,but I do not have any sound.Can anyone help? What do I need to do to correct this. Thanks ...again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users