Photo

Linux Support

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

Poll: What version of Linux do you run? (502 member(s) have cast votes)

What specific version of Linux would you want to run Plex Media Server on?

1. Voted Ubuntu (212 votes [42.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.23%

2. Fedora (14 votes [2.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

3. SUSE (8 votes [1.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

4. ReadyNAS (Intel) (32 votes [6.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

5. Voted Other (please reply below) (79 votes [15.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

6. UnRAID (131 votes [26.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.10%

7. QNAP (intel) (26 votes [5.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Just wanted to get some input as to what versions of Linux we might support in the future. Thanks for your time :)

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#2 henrk

henrk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

Just wanted to get some input as to what versions of Linux we might support in the future. Thanks for your time :)

Happily running Debian at the moment, but for PMS on Linux, I'd consider changing distro!
Linux PMS would make me a happy boy!

Merry Christmas from Sydney and thank you for all the hard work you guys have put in to this.

/henrik

#3 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

I would love to see an unRAID build.

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
***************************************************************************************************************************************
Check out unofficial channels in the
UnSupported AppStore
Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
Donate

#4 clnr

clnr

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

Debian FTW!
-- Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz 4 GB RAM --

#5 saesh

saesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

Oh this is great news. Please consider that there are people who run an headleass Linux server. So it would be nice if the PMS could be installed without a window manager and stuff.

#6 kobold

kobold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Ubuntu would be nice.
I also prefer a CLI only version, that I can control through my iMac.
This way I can run PMS on my NAS server which has no GUI.

#7 Gondovald

Gondovald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Linux yes, it would allow a QNAP NAS port !!!

I run plex on my mac and all my media files are on my QNAP NAS, I use a lot the IOS plex to watch tv-shows on my lunch break and while on vacation.

Having the plex library running on my QNAP NAS would allow me to shutdown my iMac while on vacation.

THX in advance...

#8 elminster

elminster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi. I vote Other, because I have a QNAP NAS, which runs its own flavour of Linux. Has a module addon system that may allow for a Plex addon. This is my preferred option as I have this running 24x7 anyway and it is where Plex stores all its data anyway.

Second option would probably be Redhat, mainly because I use it daily at work. (RHEL rather than Fedora but Fedora would be fine)

And in third place would be Ubuntu which I am also happy to use.

Regards.

#9 serak

serak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

It's not Linux but a FreeNAS port would be brilliant. Other than that I would say Ubuntu would have the biggest demand.

Edit: I'll also say that a CLI version would be really useful

#10 David Mc Nally

David Mc Nally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

It's Christmas, so I guess we get to wish. :)

Ubuntu or Debian works for me - CLI, but with a web interface for settings etc. would be great. Not that I can't edit a file with settings, but a simple web interface would make the process easier.

#11 Will Scott

Will Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

Ubuntu would be best for me - it's what I currently use as a server. Having a CLI / web interface would be fantastic.

Cheers!

#12 Hilbe

Hilbe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

I would want something that would work on FreeBSD / FreeNAS. I think the best option would be a command line (CLI) option with a web interface, similar to something along the lines of Webmin which runs on a ton of distributions. I believe Webmin uses Perl for its backend and not Python though.

Another option I think would be acceptable would be to have a CLI which can be managed by a remote/client Media Manager. That way I could have a headless PMS, and manage the media from a Media Manager GUI on my Mac.

#13 peelman

peelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

ReadyNAS would be awesome, but Ubuntu is my platform of choice for low-power boxes. Would love to ditch xbmc for plex's awesomeness!

#14 aebrett-old

aebrett-old

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

+1 for a headless Ubuntu version - my Linux server doesn't have a window manager installed.

#15 ola

ola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

It would be really cool a mips processor version to install it in atheros based routers like la Fonera with dd-wrt or open-wrt.
Also it would be compatible with dreambox 500s cheap and very popular sat receiver with Enigma a linux flavor.
Other interesting distro is Enigma2 that is similar to Enigma but is currently used in newer models of dreambox.

These are very interesting devices because of their really low power consumption and because they are already always turned on.
(Not sure about performance limitations though)

Imagine a Fonera router with a few disks attached running plex media server and an fully automated bit torrent client + a few apple TVs with Plex client around the house…
Really cheap, low energy footprint, always on, very elegant and small

#16 ola

ola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

IMHO, the ones with most priority could be

Debian - Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution and they use the same package manager
FreeBSD - One of the most popular flavors of BSD. Also FreeNAS is based on it.
dd-wrt/open-wrt - I don't know if a router is enough to power PMS but it would be awesome!
Enigma/Enigma2 - I don't know if a sat receiver is enough to power PMS but it would be awesome!
Fedora/Redhat
Archlinux is becoming very popular and very interesting because can be completely personalized and striped down making it a really interesting option for specific purpose servers like running PMS

#17 Gondovald

Gondovald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

Yes, a standard PLEX library linux version with web interface (that would allow others to port to the different NAS running special versions of linux).
And if a web interface is chosen then an XML or HTML export of the library would be greatly apperciated...

Nice feature would be for the actual library manager on Mac to become front end that would connect to the library manager on the NAS.

Great work ahead guys ! :-)

#18 blackdir

blackdir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

A version for Synology NAS would be great: it is the most feature rich and efficient NAS on the market. Packaging it with ipkg format will make it usefull for several NASes with the same CPUs

#19 Angelo Alberico

Angelo Alberico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

PMS belongs on a NAS, specifically on my QNAP NAS.

#20 cryptochrome

cryptochrome

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Elan.... why a specific version? If you do a Linux port, it should be running on Linux. No matter what distro. That's the whole point about Linux.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
http://flickr.com/cryptochrome
Twitter: @cryptochrome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users