25 replies to this topic

#1 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Hey everyone-

I've installed Plex media server on my windows 7 64bit pc, but whenever I right-click on the icon and select "configure plex media server" my computer won't connect to the online control panel. I just get a page in my browser saying "Google Chrome could not find localhost:32400", and this happens no matter which web browser I try. I know my ports are properly forwarded because I've got playon for android working perfectly. If anyone could offer me some help I'd appreciate it. Btw, I've already tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it a couple of times.

-bobofosho123 <_<

#2 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

Can't a geek get some love up in here?

#3 brent112

brent112

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Have you tried connecting to the Media Manager from another PC on the same network, http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage? Of course replacing the x's with the IP address of the PC that Plex Media Server is running on?

#4 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

Have you tried connecting to the Media Manager from another PC on the same network, http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage? Of course replacing the x's with the IP address of the PC that Plex Media Server is running on?

Yeah, I already tried that, no luck at all. I can't figure this out for the life of me, I've be messing around with my router setting all morning trying to figure it out, but no dice.

#5 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:36 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest. This feels like a networking problem.

Does a simple HTTP GET on http://localhost:32400/ work? (Remember to view source to see the XML.) Can you telnet to that port from the same machine? Does localhost resolve via DNS on your computer? Does 127.0.0.1 or your actual LAN address work, instead of localhost? Have you tried with other browsers?

#6 sander1

sander1

Channel Developer/Admin

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2602 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:49 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest. This feels like a networking problem.

Does a simple HTTP GET on http://localhost:32400/ work? (Remember to view source to see the XML.) Can you telnet to that port from the same machine? Does localhost resolve via DNS on your computer? Does 127.0.0.1 or your actual LAN address work, instead of localhost? Have you tried with other browsers?

Hi! I've got the exact same problem, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. When PMS is running on Windows, I can see it in Bonjour Browser on a Mac, but I can't access localhost:32400 (/manage doesn't work, and I do not see XML output (checked the page source too)).
It also doesn't work when I use 127.0.0.1 or the internal IP address of the machine. "localhost" isn't the problem, as other stuff that uses localhost for hostname works. I came accross a couple of errors in the system log file of Plex, it's attached to this post.

Attached Files

Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location

Problem with indexing files? Check the Naming Guide

#7 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

Hi! I've got the exact same problem, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. When PMS is running on Windows, I can see it in Bonjour Browser on a Mac, but I can't access localhost:32400 (/manage doesn't work, and I do not see XML output (checked the page source too)).

Sander, hit me up on IM, and let's figure this out :)

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#8 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Sander, hit me up on IM, and let's figure this out :)

Sweet....i'm hoping this get's fixed.

#9 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Anyone figure this out yet???

#10 Mwitt

Mwitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:15 AM

Have you checked windows firewall settings on the machine running PMS?

#11 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:17 AM

I spent some time with Sander today, no luck. It would be great if everyone could chime in and help us collect data, e.g.:

1) OS version (e.g. Windows 7 64 bit)
2) Try hitting http://127.0.0.1:32400/ and see if that fails.
3) Post other details (e.g. firewall off, wireless connection), etc.

Thanks!

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#12 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

I spent some time with Sander today, no luck. It would be great if everyone could chime in and help us collect data, e.g.:

Thanks!

I'll be a little more specific about my connection:

-Wireless
-Firewall w/exception created for PMS
-ports forwarded for PMS
-windows 7 x64
-tries to connect to http://localhost:32400/manage/ and browser gives "page not found" error

#13 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

Thanks!

Just a suggestion, but you might wanna sticky this. just a thought though.

#14 sander1

sander1

Channel Developer/Admin

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2602 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

@bobofosho123: What firewall software do you use? Agnitum Outpost by any chance?

Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location

Problem with indexing files? Check the Naming Guide

#15 bobofosho123

bobofosho123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

@bobofosho123: What firewall software do you use? Agnitum Outpost by any chance?

Nope not agnitum outpost, I just use the built-in on in windows, but I also have VIPRE antivirus, which has a firewall in it. I've added exceptions for plex media server in vipre so it shouldn't be a problem. Like I said earlier, playon for android works fine on my device, so I believe it's an issue with plex rather than my pc.

#16 isylvio

isylvio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

is there a solution for this problem?? Cause I also get this error!

#17 Samyboy89

Samyboy89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Replace localhost (http://localhost:32400/manage/) with your local IP address (cmd:ipconfig). And if you use Hamachi, you can use that IP as well, allowing you to use Plex anywhere you want. Hope this helps. It worked for me after having a similar problem.

#18 Sleepreaper

Sleepreaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

Hi guys, Same here with the issue, I have a BT home hub, and used the DynDNS account. heres what i tried..

I unblocked the ports 32400 and also on a wim unblocked my ports 80 for a web server. on mcaffee and my router.

i then tried to access my account on the plex ios and found "Could not connect" so i tried the port 80 instead of the 32400 and guess what??? it connected straight away.. SO i know that my account and my passwords are correct.

i then decided to delve a little deeper and used the Tools on the DynDNS account homepage and found my port 80 was open but my port 32400 wasnt although i set it up exactly the same as my 80 port.

http://www.dyndns.co...s/openport.html

An attempted connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:32400 timed out. This typically indicates that traffic to that port is being actively blocked by either a firewall or your ISP.

I did however have to create the 32400 port forwarding in my router and i used the option Any rather than UCP or TCP i will try just TCP and get back to you.

Sleepreaper.

Edit:
:32400 is open and accepting connections. This indicates the port is not being blocked by either a firewall or your ISP and is currently operational.

did this by adding a range 32400-32401 in both my router and my firewall.. however.. "cannot connect to the Server" still showing on the IOS... pulling hair out been at this for 4 hours...

second edit 7 hours now and i have to go to work this SUCKS

Edited by Sleepreaper, 11 May 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#19 dcmodder

dcmodder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

ok so had this issue today and I think I may have found a fix.

this step may not be necessary
Started by uninstalling everything related to plex (plex, python, bonjourx64)
fresh install with the latest version 0.9.2.7-2cffb6d

:still no go:

Then I noticed that users with winxp with ipv6 installed were having some issues connecting to the media manager as well so i disabled ipv6 in my local area connection properties (removed the check mark) and voilĂ  able to connect and manage.

hope this helps

#20 Sleepreaper

Sleepreaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Still no go for me i disabled ipv6 and still stuck,

it works to perfection on other peoples computers but it wont work on the IOS whats the deal here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users