#1 plexberry

plexberry

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

HI

I have plex on my Mac Book Pro but can't get anything from my windows desktop.

SO now Plex is on Windows I have tried to install it but straight away I get stuck!!!

It says I must install Bonjour x86 and Visual Basic. It doesn't get to Basic because it fails on Bonjour x86. No reason for it.

I have the latest version anyway. I uninstalled it and and tried it. No luck. I reinstalled it and tried it. No luck.

Any ideas or knowledge of this problem would help someone desperate to get Plex up and running!

Thanks in advance
Thank you to all who have built Plex up to what it is... it has changed my movie viewing experience!

#2 playstation87

playstation87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

Bonjour is a download from apple. I had no problems because it comes with an install of itunes or I believe you can install the bonjour service by iteself. Then do the plex install and it should prompt you to download the right visual basix stuff and then you should be good to go.

#3 bonmot

bonmot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

I had the same problem on my Windows 7 box. I found a standalone download for bonjour print services from Apple, but that didn't do any good (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll try the iTunes approach. It seems like the Win installer should come with everything necessary to run, but maybe that's just me...

Until I get this sorted, I'll be continuing to use my Mac Mini as the front and backend.

#4 bonmot

bonmot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

I had the same problem on my Windows 7 box. I found a standalone download for bonjour print services from Apple, but that didn't do any good (unsurprisingly). I guess I'll try the iTunes approach. It seems like the Win installer should come with everything necessary to run, but maybe that's just me...

Until I get this sorted, I'll be continuing to use my Mac Mini as the front and backend.

I can verify that installing iTunes provided Bonjour to my Windows box, which then enabled the PMS installation to proceed as expected.

#5 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

If you're having issues with Bonjour failing to install, it's ultimately an Apple problem, but that doesn't help either of us.

So if you can, please provide diagnostic details. E.g. download the bonjour.msi from Apple and install it using the logging command line detailed here. That way maybe we can figure out what's going wrong from the log.

Currently, PMS won't operate without Bonjour, so unfortunately it's truly a prerequisite to get it installed.

#6 plexberry

plexberry

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thanks. I have done solo installs etc of Bonjour but with no luck.

Dev Team: I will try the install later (when I get home) and report back.

In the meantime if anyone knows any easy way to solve this. I'm presuming it's a clashing with another prog. But not sure what!

Thanks
Thank you to all who have built Plex up to what it is... it has changed my movie viewing experience!

#7 plexberry

plexberry

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

mfeingol: Does this help?

Installing using command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCECE.tmp\Bonjour_x86\bonjour.msi" -q '
Will attempt to elevate process.
Process exited with code 1603

#8 plexberry

plexberry

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

I should also add that I have tried installing Plex on my main pc tower - which is a good spec pc - and it does the same thing. Despite having iTunes and Bonjour installed an up to date. Thats two pc's running Win 7 that it doesn't like...

#9 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

mfeingol: Does this help?

Installing using command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCECE.tmp\Bonjour_x86\bonjour.msi" -q '
Will attempt to elevate process.
Process exited with code 1603

That's a very generic error code.

But here's a question: if you have a SysWOW64 subdirectory, you're running Windows 7 x64 (aka the 64-bit version). Why are you trying to install the 32-bit version of PMS? Have you tried installing the 64-bit version?

#10 slavikme

slavikme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

HI

I have plex on my Mac Book Pro but can't get anything from my windows desktop.

SO now Plex is on Windows I have tried to install it but straight away I get stuck!!!

It says I must install Bonjour x86 and Visual Basic. It doesn't get to Basic because it fails on Bonjour x86. No reason for it.

I have the latest version anyway. I uninstalled it and and tried it. No luck. I reinstalled it and tried it. No luck.

Any ideas or knowledge of this problem would help someone desperate to get Plex up and running!

Thanks in advance

I believe the problem is that you are trying to install PMS x86 on Win7 x64.
Anyway, try to download both version of PMS x86 and x64, and try to install each one of them. Good luck.

Hope I helped. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users