• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sanomi78

sanomi78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

You know what would be really, really great? A version of the Plex Media Manager i can run from my Freenas box. Would be rather ideal (and saving me some money due to lower electricity bills). Don't know if this is possible, but would sure be awesome!

#2 Svein_Jarle

Svein_Jarle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:58 PM

Second this! This would be awesome, and it would speed up my Plex-system tremendously.

#3 TruBrew

TruBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

While I agree that is sounds like a good idea, I don't think it would be possible. Just off the top, the point of freeNAS is to use very little resources, and many peoples systems would not likely be able to handle it. It also seems like it would be a risk to have your freeNAS system connecting to the internet, I sure don't want anything to happen to my files. I don't know how many people use it to store their media, but I bet its not a huge percentage. I would also bet its just not possible. I don't think FreeNAS allows third party apps. Saying all of that, if the devs found a way to build it, I would use it.

#4 MrBritneyBeers

MrBritneyBeers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

A Synology NAS client would be great too! Right now im in doubt if I should choose a Plex solution (Mac mini + NAS) or XBMC solution (only NAS).

Its a shame that Plex cant run directly on my NAS, streaming to my Apple TV 2 like XBMC is able to.

#5 Aqntbghd

Aqntbghd

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

I made a similar request for may wonderfull cheap linux *LG* NAS :) but well.... it hasn't happenned yet... I think the main problem is : How to make a PMS on a machine that lacks any user interface ?

#6 captaintater

captaintater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

I think the main problem is : How to make a PMS on a machine that lacks any user interface ?

First of all, +1 for a FreeNas based Plex media server.

Secondly, Since FreeNas has no user interface, would it be possible to some how run a user interface on a connected computer. From that computer you would manage the media server that runs off of the FreeNas.

I don't know if I am explaining this clearly. Basically, the FreeNas acts as a free standing media server that serves plex to any connected device (ATV, Mac, LG device, etc.), but to manage that Plex Server you connect via laptop or something, maybe using Chrome, sort of like on the windows Plex server. Only difference is that Chrome is running on a different machine than the server, but is managing information that is stored on the server.

Does that make sense?

#7 engessa

engessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

First of all, +1 for a FreeNas based Plex media server.

Secondly, Since FreeNas has no user interface, would it be possible to some how run a user interface on a connected computer. From that computer you would manage the media server that runs off of the FreeNas.

I don't know if I am explaining this clearly. Basically, the FreeNas acts as a free standing media server that serves plex to any connected device (ATV, Mac, LG device, etc.), but to manage that Plex Server you connect via laptop or something, maybe using Chrome, sort of like on the windows Plex server. Only difference is that Chrome is running on a different machine than the server, but is managing information that is stored on the server.

Does that make sense?

FreeNAS has a userinterface! It's build to be made remotely manageable via webpages so that shouldn't be a problem. I did contact Elan via twitter about this and this was his response:

There hasn't been that much demand for it, < 1/10 of the requests compared to UnRAID/ReadyNAS/QNAP/Synology. Not impossible, though

Plex on Freenas 8 will take a lot of work but on Freenas 7 it should be doable. But apparently there is very little demand for it :(

#8 Kristijan

Kristijan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:36 AM

Would love to see this as well, +1 from me.

-Kristijan

#9 misterredman

misterredman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Would be nice to have PMS directly on FreeNAS! +1

http://blog.freenas.org

I'd like to add that then new version of FreeNAS, version 8 will have a plug in system that will easily let the user add software to their setup.

Right now they are accepting suggestions for the plugins and ports:

http://blog.freenas....-81-plugin.html

Edited by misterredman, 16 June 2011 - 04:26 PM.

#10 nelek

nelek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

FreeNAS has a userinterface! It's build to be made remotely manageable via webpages so that shouldn't be a problem.

Rather than reinvent the wheel with regards to UI on every NAS system again, I'd rather see a desktop management client (basically a stand alone version of the Library Manager in Plex media server) which can connect to a Plex server daemon running on the NAS box of choice. This would be far more ideal, since NAS boxes usually are constrained in resources, and you don't have to rebuild the entire managment UI in a web environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users