• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mrt2

mrt2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

Ok so I have an ATV and looking to get a Mac mini soon because performance with XBMC and ATV isn't satisfactory to me. So far though I really like XBMC as a whole. Someone recently drew my attention to PLEX which looks a lot like XBMC and I was told it is based off of XBMC. My question is simply what is PLEX as a whole or better yet, what does PLEX offer me that isn't already in XBMC? What makes PLEX a more desirable option to you guys than XBMC? Any guidance or opinions would be greatly appreciated; if there's something better out there than I would love to use it... I just want to know what makes it better. :)

#2 spaceman

spaceman

Plug-in Dev

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

This one has been covered several times before. With the .7 branch the devs are adding all kinds of new features and mac integration.
Have a look at Elan's recent blog entries for some details.

Here are some historic answers to your question
http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=2398
http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=1328
http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=1290
http://forums.plexap...p?showtopic=290

#3 mrt2

mrt2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

This one has been covered several times before. With the .7 branch the devs are adding all kinds of new features and mac integration.
Have a look at Elan's recent blog entries for some details.

Here are some historic answers to your question
http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=2398
http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=1328
http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=1290
http://forums.plexap...p?showtopic=290

I read through the threads you posted but I do have a couple of questions though...

Does Plex work on Apple TV? and also do the skins from XBMC (specifically Aeon and Horizons) work with Plex as well or do I have to find PLEX specific skins?

#4 Mako Nakor

Mako Nakor

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:34 PM

Plex does not run on ATV.

Aeon and Horizons work fine on Plex. In fact there is a separate Aeon subforum in Plex forums for help with it.

#5 spaceman

spaceman

Plug-in Dev

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

Plex is leopard only. aTV is based on a stripped down version of tiger. While I've seen articles showing how to install Leopard on aTV AFAIK no one has ever successfully installed Plex on aTV (it's not supported anyway).

As to skins, everything that works on XBMC also works on Plex. I've tried both of the skins you mentioned and they work fine.

#6 adrianc1982

adrianc1982

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

If you are using a mac you should really consider moving to plex over xbmc, the integration plex has with your mac and the features it has make a whole different experience over xbmc. I feel xbmc doesnt want to add/change a lot of features since its multiplatform and cant add it to all the platforms so they keep it safe fixing bugs and adding codecs but they dont push the envelope, the same xbmc is what you get in all the oses with plex is just different.

If you have an intel mac running leopard just download the .dmg file and run it no installation needed whatsover and give it a try for a couple minutes you will soon realize its more updated than xbmc sure it has a lot in common with xbmc but plex has a lot of integration with mac and takes full advantage of the hardware the stable release is incredible, you will have a hard time crashing the application its very very solid.

Another thing to consider, I wanted an extra computer to run plex as a media center and the mac mini just didnt cut it for me, the hardware plus the price for a media center didnt do it. i built a hackintosh and there are excelente guides out there and you can build a hackintosh for around 300 bucks with better hardware and more control over it to play those 1080p files.

If you need any help with building one let me know

#7 RUok0101

RUok0101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

Regarding the hackintosh idea, I have heard that apple is removing support for certain types of netbooks in an attempt to possibly crack down on the hackintosh market. Should that play into any decision on whether to build a hackintosh or just stick with a genuine mac as a media pc?

#8 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:36 AM

Regarding the hackintosh idea, I have heard that apple is removing support for certain types of netbooks in an attempt to possibly crack down on the hackintosh market. Should that play into any decision on whether to build a hackintosh or just stick with a genuine mac as a media pc?

as you yourself just said, its just netbooks that are affected, specifically atom processors, you really wouldnt want to be running plex on something that slow anyway, so no it should not affect any plex hackintosh build plans. atom support not needed by any legit macs was very likely just removed (it was in 10.6.2) in apple's ongoing quest for a leaner slimmer faster os, and not in any deliberate attempt to target hackintoshers, and it doesnt matter too much anyway, i think people have already found a way to hack atom support back into 10.6.2.

#9 merneric

merneric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

as you yourself just said, its just netbooks that are affected, specifically atom processors, you really wouldnt want to be running plex on something that slow anyway, so no it should not affect any plex hackintosh build plans. atom support not needed by any legit macs was very likely just removed (it was in 10.6.2) in apple's ongoing quest for a leaner slimmer faster os, and not in any deliberate attempt to target hackintoshers, and it doesnt matter too much anyway, i think people have already found a way to hack atom support back into 10.6.2.

Sorry if this has been covered before. I was just wondering what you all use for an IR remote with your hackintosh build + Plex? I have built alot of hackintoshes, and I also used the original XBMC on a couple of old Xboxes. I just "discovered" Plex yesterday and so far I am VERY impressed. If I could throw together a cheaper Hackmini to use with, it would help a little...Thanks

#10 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:51 AM

Honestly, it's worth it to get a Mac Mini, with at least 4 GB of RAM. My model only came with 1 GB, but I upgraded it myself. Also make sure you get a Core 2 Duo so any video will play back smoothly. I tried the Hackintosh thing, but it is pretty silly if you think about it. Way too much work, when if you get an actual Apple there is not much set up required. On my Mini I can run several programs at once, download in the background while watching something in Plex, even if it's 1080P. For those saying the Mini isn't good enough they don't have it set up right!

#11 petejo

petejo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:19 AM

Sorry if this has been covered before. I was just wondering what you all use for an IR remote with your hackintosh build + Plex? I have built alot of hackintoshes, and I also used the original XBMC on a couple of old Xboxes. I just "discovered" Plex yesterday and so far I am VERY impressed. If I could throw together a cheaper Hackmini to use with, it would help a little...Thanks

having spent several WEEKS on and off setting up a working Hackintosh ( who'd have thought Optical out could be Soooo hard) I'm leaning towards Russ's point of view.

However, to answer your question.....I'm using, very successfully, an Xbox DVD remote Receiver/Control!!

refer the Plex Wiki

and

Here

With thanks to those who pioneered it!!

#12 merneric

merneric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

having spent several WEEKS on and off setting up a working Hackintosh ( who'd have thought Optical out could be Soooo hard) I'm leaning towards Russ's point of view.

However, to answer your question.....I'm using, very successfully, an Xbox DVD remote Receiver/Control!!

refer the Plex Wiki

and

Here

With thanks to those who pioneered it!!

Wow! That is awesome info. I have to say I was reluctant when I dropped (the old) XBMC, but with all the HD stuff, it just could not keep up. I moved to an HTPC setup, but frankly I am disappointed with it and after this Thanksgiving, and having a bunch of relatives over, and with the system constantly breaking down, I realized that I had to find something else. Enter Plex.

As for Real Mac Mini vs Hack, trust me, I am right there with you. I struggled with setting up a couple of hacks for the kids which worked great with Leopard, but not so great with SL-so eventually I bit the bullet, and just bought them real mac minis--MUCH less hassle.

#13 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

Here is how to add an apple IR port to a Hackintosh:

http://photos.potteb...y/7075206_LwKc4

#14 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

Honestly, it's worth it to get a Mac Mini, with at least 4 GB of RAM. My model only came with 1 GB, but I upgraded it myself. Also make sure you get a Core 2 Duo so any video will play back smoothly. I tried the Hackintosh thing, but it is pretty silly if you think about it. Way too much work, when if you get an actual Apple there is not much set up required. On my Mini I can run several programs at once, download in the background while watching something in Plex, even if it's 1080P. For those saying the Mini isn't good enough they don't have it set up right!

Now that the default Mini is over 2ghz, I too think that the reason to put together Hackintosh for Plex are greatly lessened. Now the only reasons to mess with a Hackintosh are:

1. Cost (if your time is worthless it can be up to $200 cheaper than a Mini for a more powerful box).

2. Storage- my main reason for Hackintoshing and the best one. I have a Hackintosh media server with 8 1.5tb HDs in it that serve up media for Plex that cost less in total than the 8 bay Drobo Pro costs without a single disk in it. Hackintoshes kill NASes for cheap Plex storage space.

3. Power for more than Plex. I agree that the baseline Mini should play almost any file in Plex (except for a few VC1 files), but once you start adding on EyeTV recording, Usenet/torrent downloading, and gaming to your HTPC, a Quad Core Hackintosh (which honestly costs as much as a Mini to build) just kills a Mini for power. For most Plexers, this does not matter though.

#15 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:57 PM

Push comes to shove a cheap USB sound card (like my Creative one) is able to easily output optical through Plex on a hackintosh. Not worth fighting...

#16 petejo

petejo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

Push comes to shove a cheap USB sound card (like my Creative one) is able to easily output optical through Plex on a hackintosh. Not worth fighting...

We're drifting off topic....but...Which sound card do you have ? With the IR nailed all that was really a hassle was the sound!!

Cheers

#17 merneric

merneric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

We're drifting off topic....but...Which sound card do you have ? With the IR nailed all that was really a hassle was the sound!!

Cheers

Yeah, sorry for contributing to the OT drift, but I am very curious on this as well, as I think I am going to try to get one of my hacks up and running for now, and if I can just plug in an ext USB Optical sound card, that would make things much easier.

A quick trip to the soundblaster.com web site revealed that of the 4 USB models they have, the one closest that would seem to work is the "USB Soundblaster Live! 24bit External" Is this the one that you use, as it does not say anything about mac compatibilty, so if so, are you loading in some special driver/kexts to make it work?

Thanks!

#18 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, sorry for contributing to the OT drift, but I am very curious on this as well, as I think I am going to try to get one of my hacks up and running for now, and if I can just plug in an ext USB Optical sound card, that would make things much easier.

A quick trip to the soundblaster.com web site revealed that of the 4 USB models they have, the one closest that would seem to work is the "USB Soundblaster Live! 24bit External" Is this the one that you use, as it does not say anything about mac compatibilty, so if so, are you loading in some special driver/kexts to make it work?

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't give better details and sorry for hijacking the thread.

The card I have is:

http://www.amazon.co...59776176&sr=8-1

It uses OSX's default USB audio drivers- plug and play, nothing to install. Just disable motherboard sound in the bios, plug in this usb card, reboot and go into sound preferences in OSX and choose the usb device as your default audio output device. Then tell Plex to output through its digital port and you are set.

Works 100% with DTS and AC3 passthrough....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users