• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Fargo

Mad Dog Fargo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

So I've had Plex set up as the center of my Mac Mini-based media center for about a month now and am loving it. It's amazing to me how such a professional app can be developed by a corps of hard-working volunteers. You guys are great. I had a problem crop up recently tho, and hope someone can help me out with it. I have several TV series available in two sections (one for my older kids, one for my younger kids). They worked fine at first, but at some point over the last week or so they've started acting goofy. Not all episodes are showing up anymore, and the ones that do don't give the "episode description" or whatever in the selection screen. Episodes are all named according to proper conventions, and I already tried using the Media Manager to delete the TV Shows sections and then add them again from scratch - same result. The only thing that has changed in my configuration is that I moved all my media off to an external USB drive. I can't say for sure that that's when the TV shows stopped working properly, but it's the only thing I can think of that's different. Anyway, I took three screenshots for visual aid:

1) My finder folder for the series 'Shaun the Sheep'. It contains 1 season with 40 episodes, with proper directory structure and file naming.
2) The main selection screen in the 'TV Shows' section. Shaun the Sheep is shown, but only with 29 episodes.
3) The episode selection screen for 'Shaun the Sheep'. Note how the usual episode synopsis and info are missing from the right-hand side of the screen. Also, the panel in the top right corner clearly says "Episodes: 40" even tho only 29 are available (altho maybe it just means there are 40 in the full season?)

The files themselves are all valid AVIs and play fine in VLC, so I feel the problem has to be with Plex somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks!

plex-ss1-finder.gif
plex-ss2-tv-main.gif
plex-ss3-epselection.gif

#2 oSPANNERo

oSPANNERo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

there was an issue in 0.9.2.4 (and possibly 0.9.2.3) that caused Plex not to be able to index properly. You can find some inof at the top of http://elan.plexapp.com/ The fix seems to be to make sure you are now updated to 0.9.2.5 (Released about 12 - 14 hours ago) and then force a "deep scan" by holding down the option key while forcing a “deep scan” (option + click the refresh button).

Hopefully that will resolve your issue. If not they are probably going to want logs. :)

#3 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

I'd definitely recommend making sure you upgrade to 0.9.2.5 as SPANNER mentioned since it contains an important fix for a database issue that was causing problems with item scanning.

Another thing you can check is to open up your Media Manager, select your TV section on the left, and look to see if the trashcan icon at the bottom is active/lit up. If so, I'd recommend clicking on it and choosing to empty the trash. That should ensure that Plex's new "Soft Deletion" feature isn't interfering with the display of anything here.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
» Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

#4 Mad Dog Fargo

Mad Dog Fargo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Well, I upgraded to 9.2.5, did the option-refresh (in the Media Manager section screen, right?) and emptied the trash in each section, but the problem persists. Any other ideas are welcome, otherwise where are these log files I should be looking at? Thanks!

#5 Darby

Darby

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

I could very easily be mistaken, but worth looking at. Based on how you have your episodes named, it appears TVDB has the episodes named differently:
http://thetvdb.com/?...nid=17413&lid=7

Perhaps renaming a few to match TVDB or if you are sure TVDB is incorrect, look into changing it?

HTPC: 2.0 GHz i7, ML Client, Plex Home Theater 0.9.x.x, Gigabit Ethernet : : Server: 2.6 GHz i7, ML Server, Plex Media Server 0.9.x.x

iOS: iPhone 4S, Retina iPad

#6 Mad Dog Fargo

Mad Dog Fargo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

I could very easily be mistaken, but worth looking at. Based on how you have your episodes named, it appears TVDB has the episodes named differently:
http://thetvdb.com/?...nid=17413&lid=7

Perhaps renaming a few to match TVDB or if you are sure TVDB is incorrect, look into changing it?

I know there is some episode mismatching there, but wasn't aware that Plex paid attention to that. I thought it only cared about the 'SxxExx' part of the filename. When I first added The Muppet Show to my library the episodes were all out of order too (DVD order vs aired order). In that case, Plex still showed all the episodes available, but when I told it to play S01E06, for example, it played the file labeled S01E06 (even tho it didn't match the episode description). So thanks for the idea - I'll correct the filenames tonight and see if that sorts it out. If anyone else has other ideas, or can tell me what logs I should be looking at for problems, I'd love to hear. Thanks!

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

As long as the "sXXeXX" info matches the info on TheTVDB then you should be safe as far as what info is retrieved from TheTVDB. (Or, at least, if you claim something is episode 6, then Plex should grab the info for episode 6 from TheTVDB.)

Can you try this for me?

1. Move your "Shaun the Sheep" directory out of your normal TV location on your drive.

2. In your Media Manager, refresh the TV section and Plex should detect the show as being removed. You'll probably need to empty the trashcan.

3. Move the directory back into the normal location - you might also rename the directory to "Shaun the Sheep (2007)" before you move it back.

4. Refresh the TV section and hopefully Plex will pick up all the episodes this time.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums

#8 Mad Dog Fargo

Mad Dog Fargo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

*sigh*

Just when you get to thinking you're not an idiot, something comes along to remind you that yes, yes, you pretty much still are.

So I renamed all the mismatched episodes and it didn't do anything. Fired up Plex and just started playing around, discovered the button that lets you change the view in the episode selection screen, switched to a view that had the episode description info (one of my kids must have changed it to a view that did not). One problem solved. Then I noticed that some series actually had more episodes available than indicated by the number in the TV Shows section screen. Did some investigating into that and deduced that, haha, that number doesn't indicate total number of episodes available like I had assumed, it indicates the number of unwatched episodes available. Duh. So that's my other problem solved. It turns out the program works fine, it's just me that's faulty ;) Sorry to anyone whose time and brain cells I wasted with my non-problems...

#9 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

Glad you got it all sorted out! I must admit you had me scratching my head for possible explanations, but that's not always a bad thing since it encourages looking at things from a different angle. =)

#10 gouie

gouie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

I appreciate that this is an older thread, I was hoping someone could tell me what skin that is?

#11 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I appreciate that this is an older thread, I was hoping someone could tell me what skin that is?

That looks like the default Mediastream skin to me. Note, though, that Mediastream got cleaned up a lot and basically made to look a lot better in the 0.9.5 client, so it doesn't look exactly the same anymore.

#12 AndrewLupin

AndrewLupin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

i'm stuck with this problem

Posted Image

Posted Image

4 files in folder

PMS shows just one episode!

what sholuld i do?

#13 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

4 files in folder

PMS shows just one episode!

Have you tried the info in this FAQ entry yet?

#14 AndrewLupin

AndrewLupin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

i had to remove the entire section tv shows and add it again.then i solved