• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MARKYB0Y

MARKYB0Y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

Can someone please tell me how I can make music show up in Plex that is by an original artist, its a friend of mine, I have a artist folder and album folder just like all other music but it wont show in Plex.

I assume it may be related to the fact they are not on last.fm, but I have Plex Music scanner and personal media artists as the primary agent

do I need to create some NFO type file or something?

thanks in advance :)

#2 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

Do you have ID3 metadata info embedded in the files? You ought to be able to set the info via iTunes or multiple other apps.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#3 MARKYB0Y

MARKYB0Y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Do you have ID3 metadata info embedded in the files? You ought to be able to set the info via iTunes or multiple other apps.

Hi, yes, iTunes all looks fine, all tags there

should it just pick up the ID3 tags and work?

#4 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

It should work if they have correct ID3 tags as far as I know. However, the music scanner and metadata agents are sometimes a bit wonky and don't seem to work super-great for everyone.

Hmm. One thing to check is to make sure you have the "Local Media Assets" source checked in your Metadata Agent Settings ("gear" icon in the Media Manager) for the Personal Media agents under artists/albums. If those aren't enabled, then Plex probably wouldn't use the tag information.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#5 pooploser

pooploser

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

chris, is there a way to make PMS get only artist pictures using agents, but the ID3 tags & album covers from the tags in the files themselves?
i would love to have more management possibilities. my audio files have perfect mp3 tags, while i'd want plex to get artist photo + bio ONLY.
any way to choose that?
Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
Alaska/Dark skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
My flickr account

#6 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Not really sure on that, pooploser. I really don't mess with music in Plex myself - it's just not something I use Plex for, so it really isn't particularly important to me. I've done some very minimal testing of using native Plex music sections, but that's it.

Conceptually, I'd think that if you have your ID3 info specified and have artwork embedded in the file, then so long as "Local Media Assets" was moved up in priority over other sources that what you're wanting should work (i.e. Plex would use the local info you provide and only grab metadata from external sources for info it doesn't have). But I don't really know if that'll actually work in practice.

#7 pooploser

pooploser

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

hey. i tried that and it doesn't work unfortunately..
i don't think that many people use the artist/album agents because their results are for now too messed up and they bypass any ID3 tagging we have. it should rather fill the gaps than restructure everything.
i have 3 problems mainly occuring:
– album artwork is neither grabbed from the mp3 files, nor found online. all albums just end up having the band's picture.
– artists with names using special characters (e.g. Æ, Đ, š, ć) are not found and not displayed correctly
- compilations are not treated in any useful way.
there is more but that's the main ones why the Plex Music Scanner is useless for me.
Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
Alaska/Dark skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
My flickr account

#8 MARKYB0Y

MARKYB0Y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

It should work if they have correct ID3 tags as far as I know. However, the music scanner and metadata agents are sometimes a bit wonky and don't seem to work super-great for everyone.

Hmm. One thing to check is to make sure you have the "Local Media Assets" source checked in your Metadata Agent Settings ("gear" icon in the Media Manager) for the Personal Media agents under artists/albums. If those aren't enabled, then Plex probably wouldn't use the tag information.

Hi Chris,

I have double checked and in Albums Section I have "Local Media Assets" at the top for Last.FM and Personal media Artists, BUT!!
in the Artist section I do not have a "Local Media Assets" listed??? is this the problem, has something gone wrong with my install? this would explain a lot I guess?

#9 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

I have double checked and in Albums Section I have "Local Media Assets" at the top for Last.FM and Personal media Artists, BUT!!
in the Artist section I do not have a "Local Media Assets" listed??? is this the problem, has something gone wrong with my install? this would explain a lot I guess?

Hmm, odd. Try this for me:

1. Close your Plex client and quit/stop the PMS.

2. In a Finder window, browse to ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/ (where "~" is your user home directory)

3. Rename or move elsewhere the "Plug-ins" directory there.

4. Launch your Plex client to restart the PMS. You'll probably want to put it in windowed mode (CMD-F or "\" key) so you can see your OSX menubar. You should see the PMS with the spinning circle and "starting" for a while. Plex is going to be recreating your plugin directory.

5. Once the PMS is done spinning, switch to your Plex client and go to Plex Online > More... > Check for Updates to ensure all your plugins are updated.

Hopefully, that metadata agent source should appear for you now. Note that if you'd previously installed any additional plugins they won't be there anymore. You can either go and install them again via "Plex Online" or you can go back to that renamed/moved original Plug-ins folder and copy over the .bundle files corresponding to the plugins you'd installed (don't just copy over everything). Not positive if you need to stop the PMS before copying the .bundle files over, but it's probably safest to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users