• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyg

jimmyg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Just got my new Lg LE5500 and was excited to use plex to stream home video from my mac to tv. There seems to be constant buffering and the videos never play. I cannot figure out why. Any ideas? The place for about a second and then buffer...never seeming to play the entire video. These are files that I have archived from a Canon HD camera. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 jimmyg

jimmyg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:25 AM

I put the wrong model number down...LV5500

#3 jimmyg

jimmyg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#4 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

You should probably post:

1. Your specific network setup -- ie, how the TV connects to your PMS (wired, wireless, etc)
2. The actual res and bitrate of those specific movies

In general if you're trying to push 1080p content over a wireless network, its going to buffer like that.

-------------------

Running PMS on a MacMini and Synology 412+

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

Fav Plex Feature: SYNC!

#5 jimmyg

jimmyg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. It occurs whether the TV is wired or wireless, and the server, which sits on my iMac, is wired or wireless. The res is 1080i as that is the best that the canon shoots in. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to find the bitrate of these files...others I can figure out, but not these files, which I believe are mts. Anything that streams through itunes, at any resolution, appears to work well. Including a video that is supposedly 1920 x1080. Thanks again for the reply, and any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#6 jaaps

jaaps

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Just got my LW650s (EU/Netherlands model) (and I have updated it with the latest firmware) and I have the same problem.

My setup:
- TV
- Time capsule
- Mac Mini running PMS connected to a linksys 1 gigabit switch
- Unraid server (hp proliant microserver)
- Everything is wired with cat6/cat5e

Files:
- MKV h264/avc with AC3/DTS (files around 8-16 GB)
- Stored on harddisk of mac mini and a unraid server mounted with afp

If I play the files on my mac mini with Plex no re-buffering occurs. I tried restarting pms, rebooting mac mini and timecapsule. But still lots of buffering.
I also tried with dlna/upnp with EyeConnect: same problem.

I'm really happy with the TV overall. I just want to play 3D Movies with Medialink since Plex doesn't handle the subtitles correctly.

Running PMS + PlexConnect on a headless Ubuntu server. Clients: Apple TV 3 and iPad.

#7 M.Koster

M.Koster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

If only we were able to set some kind of buffer size, then this problem would not occur, what do you think?

#8 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

What are the specs of the mini? I'm guessing it's having problems transcoding the AC3/DTS stream which isn't supported natively by the lg. http://forums.plexap...-formatscodecs/
Try using activity monitor while streaming to check out the cpu usage. I'm guessing that's the problem. Playing on the mini itself requires no on-the-fly transcoding, only decoding. Increasing buffer size will only increase the length of the pauses in the video.
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#9 nathsgames

nathsgames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

All movies I play off Plex to my LG TV buffer, freeze and carry on.

I then switch over to my LG BR player and use Nero 4, and everything plays perfectly.

So the issue is either with Plex or the TV.

Both are pretty poor IMO.

Win 7 Ultimate -> Plex -> Cat5 network -> LG LW9500 TV = choppy unwatchable playback

Win 7 Ultimate -> Nero Home 4 -> Cat5 network -> LG BD660 = perfect playback

#10 docksteaderluke

docksteaderluke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

bump. LG 55LW5700 plays, stops, buffers, repeat. Quite frustrating. Any help?

#11 twan61

twan61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

Same problem here, via Plex i have a bad playback. When i use Nero Mediahome on my LG 42LW5500 i have no problems.

#12 nathsgames

nathsgames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Are there any answers to these questions or is the buffering issue just being ignored?

#13 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:19 AM

Well the issue is likely that plex is transcoding for the LG tv while nero is playing it back directly. Without knowing the specs for the machine running plex it's hard to say if the machine is under powered or there's a bug in plex's transcoding code that's hindering performance.
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#14 nathsgames

nathsgames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

Quad Core Q6600/ 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz/ 3 x 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda's/ GB network hard cabled to TV via 100MB router and switch

#15 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:39 AM

Do you have any other plex clients that you could test with? It'd help determine if the problem is medialink or plex's transcoding. :/
~John T.

#16 Joesh

Joesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

I am getting some "buffering" also, except the buffering bar never in fact comes up - the playback just becomes choppy occasionally in certain videos. The videos are 720p and are roughly 2GB in size. I'm connected through wireless on my laptop and my TV is wired in.

Laptop is Windows 7 Core 2 T7600 @ 2.33 GHz, 2GB ram, WD Elements 2GB external hard drive.

Could it be a connection speed issue even though I am not getting the circling buffering dots? Instead I am getting chopping and skipping during playback.

Wireless connection on laptop speed test is giving 20MB/s regularly.

Tv is LV5500

#17 krazzer

krazzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

I am getting some "buffering" also, except the buffering bar never in fact comes up - the playback just becomes choppy occasionally in certain videos. The videos are 720p and are roughly 2GB in size. I'm connected through wireless on my laptop and my TV is wired in.

Laptop is Windows 7 Core 2 T7600 @ 2.33 GHz, 2GB ram, WD Elements 2GB external hard drive.

Could it be a connection speed issue even though I am not getting the circling buffering dots? Instead I am getting chopping and skipping during playback.

Wireless connection on laptop speed test is giving 20MB/s regularly.

Tv is LV5500

Lately i'm having the exact same issue here, 720p files, choppy and skipping playback, strangely it only happens with series, not movies

#18 Cremaster

Cremaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

My personal experience:
If streaming a high bit rate 1080p (with DTS) movie through Plex, either from external or internal storage, the issue is the same with my 42LV5500W. However if streaming the same file straight from the storage, it has no issues with streaming at all. It only gives the known issue; unsupported audio due to the lack of DTS. Those 1080p movies without DTS play well when streamed with or without plex, even though it buffers slightly longer with Plex in the beginning.

My configuration:
Fujitsu laptop from 2006 dual core 2GHz
Using Asus router 5GHz for streaming, about 6 meters away with 2 walls in between (laptop is wired to the router)

The CPU usage is almost 100% when watching movies with DTS. With my friend's 2010 model Macbook Pro the streaming had no issues with Plex, even though it was totally wireless.

Conclusion: my laptop is too low powered / LG should really add DTS...

#19 nathsgames

nathsgames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

LG r adding DTS today!

#20 Cremaster

Cremaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

LG r adding DTS today!

I was thrilled about the news about 2 weeks ago, but now I'm not so sure I will see DTS on my lg TV.. I heard it will only be added on the ST600 :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users