17 replies to this topic

#1 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hi

Is there some way I can share my library with my friends without giving them access to my filesystem (through /services/browse)?

Cheers,
fatbrain

#2 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

yea. howto is in the wiki
Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

#3 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

yea. howto is in the wiki

Hi, I must be blind :( Can't find that information anywhere on the wiki.

Could I nag you for an URL?

Cheers,
fatbrain

#4 hkeylm

hkeylm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Depending on how you expect them to connect (local LAN, Internet) the "solution" will vary.
I assume for now it's over the internet?
Check THIS ONE as it'll explain the port forwarding business and THIS ONE on info for connecting with the Mac client...
New to Plex? Take a look at the Plex Wiki, its full of very useful information. Have you seen the Screencasts yet?
Having problems loading your media files? Did you know that most of these problems are due to incomplete / incorrect Media File Naming!!!
When posting a Problem, your
Plex Log Files are very useful source of information.

#5 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Depending on how you expect them to connect (local LAN, Internet) the "solution" will vary.
I assume for now it's over the internet?
Check THIS ONE as it'll explain the port forwarding business and THIS ONE on info for connecting with the Mac client...

I fail to see how I can limit my friends from manually querying my PMS with urls like http://pms.server.co.../service/browse to see all my local harddrives and stuff.

Did I miss something?

Thanks for reply,
fatbrain

#6 hkeylm

hkeylm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

I must admit that i am slightly irritated....

To be of my knowledge - sure enough i might as well be wrong - all you can get to via PMS (and port 32400) is the Media Library (xml content) and the Media content you added to your sections (movies, shows, music).. I really can not see how one could get through to your disk - the above url produced file not found for me though...

Sorry, maybe someone else can enlighten me
New to Plex? Take a look at the Plex Wiki, its full of very useful information. Have you seen the Screencasts yet?
Having problems loading your media files? Did you know that most of these problems are due to incomplete / incorrect Media File Naming!!!

#7 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

To be of my knowledge - sure enough i might as well be wrong - all you can get to via PMS (and port 32400) is the Media Library (xml content) and the Media content you added to your sections (movies, shows, music).. I really can not see how one could get through to your disk - the above url produced file not found for me though...

+1
Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

#8 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

Ah, how stupid of me. I was doing the "friend-test" from a machine the same subnet, probably the reason I could see the /services urls.

(Spelling error in my previous post, should have been /services not /service)

I'll try reconfigure my wifi to use some other subnet.

facepunch,
Thanks! :)

#9 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Ah, how stupid of me. I was doing the "friend-test" from a machine the same subnet, probably the reason I could see the /services urls.

(Spelling error in my previous post, should have been /services not /service)

I'll try reconfigure my wifi to use some other subnet.

facepunch,
Thanks! :)

I could "sniff" my file-system from a different network as well (through /services/browse)... This is driving me mad. :'(

Sigh,
fatbrain

#10 dirRtyjoe

dirRtyjoe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:13 PM

I'm unable to 'sniff' anything when going to that URL - but I have authentication enabled... maybe a solution?

also, if these are friends you're sharing with, why are you concerned about them accessing that information?
Kyler W

#11 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

I'm unable to 'sniff' anything when going to that URL - but I have authentication enabled... maybe a solution?

also, if these are friends you're sharing with, why are you concerned about them accessing that information?

I also have authentication enabled, but through internet using my mini python-client I was able to grab that information from my media-server.

Why I wouldn't want to share it? Really, I need to justify that?

Because they have no business going through my file-system. Just because they are my friends doesn't mean I want them sniffing around looking at what folders or network drives I have attached to my computer.

mini-python client,

#!/usr/bin/env python
import urllib2, hashlib, sys, getopt
opts, args = getopt.getopt(sys.argv[1:], 'u:p:')
def Sha1(str):
  return hashlib.sha1(str).hexdigest()
def GetOpt(name, default=''):
  return (filter(lambda o: o[0] == name, opts) or ('', default))[0][-1]
username = GetOpt('-u', 'Administrator')
password = GetOpt('-p', 'defaultpassword')
server = args[0] if len(args) else 'my.server.com'
path = args[1] if len(args) else '/library/sections'
sha1 = Sha1(username.lower() + Sha1(password))
url = 'http://%s:32400%s' % (server, path)
req = urllib2.Request(url, headers={'X-Plex-User': username, 'X-Plex-Pass': sha1})
print urllib2.urlopen(req).read()

./pmsclient.py -u username -p password my.server.com /services/browse

Cheers,
fatbrain

#12 hkeylm

hkeylm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hi fatbrain,

Did you say you have Secure Server access enabled?
If so, your friends should not longer be able to use the /services/browse function -- unless of course you share the ssa credentials with them....

#13 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7411 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

./pmsclient.py -u username -p password my.server.com /services/browse

Nice Python hacking :)

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#14 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hi fatbrain,

Did you say you have Secure Server access enabled?
If so, your friends should not longer be able to use the /services/browse function -- unless of course you share the ssa credentials with them....

Ah, yes. I have secured my server with the username & password option.

But I need to give the credentials to my friends in order for them to access /library/sections. I would like to create a user with access to only the /library and not the /services channel.

I don't think PMS supports that at the moment :S. Now I play the waiting game!

Cheers,
fatbrain

#15 fatbrain

fatbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Nice Python hacking :)

Thanks, I do aim to please ;)

Cheers,
fatbrain

#16 hkeylm

hkeylm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

hey fatbrain,

It truly doesn't seem as if Plex permits you to block this right now. My gut feel is that this is an un-intentional "feature" ;-)

unless you would maintain the credentials on your friends phones yourself, there not that much you could do about it right now. Especially if you have clever folks around you that can do similar nice phyton hacks :)
Only thing that comes to mind is to maybe run PMS under a restricted User account on your Mac that only has access to the Media FIles ... You could leave it logged in while using another account on the foreground I think....
At least that way you have a little more protection.

#17 hippojay

hippojay

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Ah, yes. I have secured my server with the username & password option.

But I need to give the credentials to my friends in order for them to access /library/sections. I would like to create a user with access to only the /library and not the /services channel.

In order for you friends to access services, they would also need to construct a similar python ( or some other) type of client. iOS, plex and other don't give access to that information. Even a web browser would be difficult as there is a need to send the user/pass headers. So casual access is not possible.

Whilst I think that externally this information should be blocked (to remove all doubt) you might also want to question how far someone would need to go to get this info and what sort of friends you have if you believe this may be the case.
Turn XBMC into a Plex Client:
PleXBMC - Play Plex media through XBMC
PleXBMC Helper - Integrate Official/Unoffical Plex remote control apps into PleXBMC
PleXBMC Repository - Install all addons from one place
PleXBMC on the Raspberry Pi

Modded Skins:
QuartzV3/4 for PleXBMC - Integrate PleXBMC into home menus

#18 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

Whilst I think that externally this information should be blocked (to remove all doubt) you might also want to question how far someone would need to go to get this info and what sort of friends you have if you believe this may be the case.

no shit! id just exclude these "friends" from the server. anyhow, great find. hopefully it will make plex more secure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users