Photo

0.8 Beta Releases

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
753 replies to this topic

Poll: Channel item (208 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the Channels item replace the other menu options (video, music, photos, etc) well enough that they can be removed?

1. Yes, absolutely (52 votes [75.36%])

Percentage of vote: 75.36%

2. Yes, but it makes it less convenient (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. No, but with a slight change (see comment) it would work (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

4. No, I hate it and I prefer the old way (13 votes [18.84%])

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

Vote

#1 ccjensen

ccjensen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

While most of you were helping us weed out bugs in 0.7.1 (a huge thanks everyone who chipped in, couldn't have done it without you!), the plex atv elves were hard at work on the next and greatest version.

For those who would be willing to help out with testing, please install the beta release and report any bugs here or on lighthouse

0.8.0 RC2
Installation instructions:

* apt-get remove com.plex.client-plugin
* apt-get update
* apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin=0.0.8.0.RC2
* apt-get install org.tomcool.smframework=0.7.7-2  <<-- IMPORTANT! we'll fix this in final, but you'll have to do it

If you get this error when running the apt-get install command:

E: Version '0.0.8.0.RC2' for 'com.plex.client-plugin' was not found

then run this command first, before trying again:
echo "deb http://www.ambertation.de ./downloads/PLEX/" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plex.list

And should you decide to do so, you can always downgrade:
* apt-get remove com.plex.client-plugin
* apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin

Although it can be a pain having to set things up again (especially for you that use remote machines), it is usually worth clearing out the preference file as it can sometimes cause trouble when we have added or modified the settings:
* rm /User/Library/Preferences/com.plex.client-plugin.plist

Changes worth mentioning

=========== RC2 ===========

• most channels should be working now (PLZ test this!)
  • option in view settings to hide summary for unseen items (thx to TobiasHieta)

=========== RC1 ===========
  • bunch of fixes :)

=========== BETA 5 ===========
  • tv theme music reduced to 60% of volume
  • quality settings are now correctly applied to the playback
  • grid view prettified
  • playback progress optimised to stop causing the video to stutter during bandwidth constrained playback
  • harmony remote fix to enable use of play-button
  • channel fixes
  • remote servers now have covers as well
  • + lots of other fixes

=========== BETA 4 ===========
  • Preplay screen has received some much needed TLC, like flags (h264, aac, etc.) (more to come, so it's still not feature complete. We know the UI is a little weird for tv episodes).
  • Settings have an updated look, and some new settings (highlight: more granulated control over playback quality). We highly recommend users of beta 4 to remove the old preferences file (instructions are above).
  • Theme music no longer fades (sorry, it was a 'bag of hurt' and had to go)
  • List tab defaults to unwatched, and the tab bar ui has been improved (fits better in with the list items)
  • TV and Movie view selection split up (so possible to do grid+list, etc)
  • Play-button in different views provide shortcuts to initiate playback
  • Global search is now a speed deamon
  • FIX: Direct-streaming works again
  • FIX: When editing server's password, the text field would pre-fill with the username
  • + a couple of secrets ;)

=========== BETA 3 ===========
  • EDIT: Brent112 found a crasher, which we have patched into beta3. If anyone had updated prior to this note, please update again. For everyone else, just perform the normal beta installation to get this fix + everything else in the changelog.
  • Added a "pre-play" screen to list view. (Known issues: background shaded box with rounded corners looks a bit weird, bottom shelf is empty and says movies even when in tv shows, crashing when tapping left/right to initiate next/previous item). This is one of the most recent additions, and needs some more TLC, but would love some feedback and ideas.
  • what audio track/subtitle to be used can be selected in the pre-play view
  • Main menu Search. This is still a work in progress, and is not really usable for anything yet. I considered not including it, but thought you guys might want a peek into what it's going to work like.
  • List views with tab bar are no longer "super wide"
  • tab bar removed from places where it was doing nothing or didn't make sense (plugins and music sections)
  • Fixed bug where two items (often an original and a remake) would have the same preview / it wouldn't update correctly
  • fan art can be disabled
  • List view title reflects contents
  • Added theme music to both list and grid views (fades out)
  • Coverart parade only for top level filters in list view
  • Channel main menu item taken over for individual plugin categories
  • Password text obfuscated upon entry (maybe also when viewed in the server details?)

=========== BETA 2 ===========
  • Grid views should now load instead of being stuck at the loading screen
  • Channel items should work (ie not crash the atv) [ticket #107]
  • Default quality setting set to "Good" rather than "Low" (which no longer existed) (thanks jcoene)
  • View style now defaults to List
  • Temporary fix for the detailed metadata screen when tapping up to see the full summary (the text would overlap the actors, directors, etc). [ticket #109]

=========== BETA 1 ===========

• The method used to navigate the content has changed completely in preparation for future features such as user set views for different types of categories (grid for movies, list for tv shows, etc.)
  • Settings can be locked with a passcode (credit to SMFramework for making this super easy)
  • Descriptions of what information is being requested is sent to the iOS remote app when adding/editing a new machine
  • New main menu logo
  • Filtering menu skipped for list view due to addition of tab bar with items: <current filter>, <unwatched within current filter>, <other filters>
  • "Parading" coverart in list view for any item that has subItems (like a tv show has seasons, seasons have episodes, filters have movies or tv shows, etc)
  • Main menu Channels item is the equivalent to the iOS channels tab. It will eventually replace some of the other main menu items (pictures, music, etc), and will be a "one-stop shop" for all the plugins (as opposed to user created sections in the pms). (thanks to @cfriedberg for pointing out that channels were not discussed in the changelog).

I think that is it for now. Please report bugs to the lighthouse tracker (link above), but we also want to hear feedback on the new additions as well as any feature requests you have (we already know about all the ones on lighthouse, so no need to repeat ones listed there).

Hope you enjoy, and we look forward to hearing back from you.
//ccjensen on behalf of team (quiqueck, b0bben & ccjensen)

Just another plex user

#2 thrasherx

thrasherx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Looking forward to testing this one out. Thanks!

#3 Wormhole

Wormhole

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

wow, this is very cool. I'll report back things. Any thoughts on the PlexFlix audio/video being out of sync (it wasn't in 0.6.7)...just curious. Thanks again!

EDIT: what is the difference now between 'channels' and 'videos'? The later appears to have the new filter columns while the former does not...

#4 ccjensen

ccjensen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

wow, this is very cool. I'll report back things. Any thoughts on the PlexFlix audio/video being out of sync (it wasn't in 0.6.7)...just curious. Thanks again!

EDIT: what is the difference now between 'channels' and 'videos'? The later appears to have the new filter columns while the former does not...

Good point, I forgot to mention channels in the changelog :)

So Channels is what the iOS plex apps added in the latest version, it's a single container for all the plugins (itunes audio, itunes video, iphoto, hulu, netflix, etc). A common complaint on the previous versions of the atv2 client was all these "extra" main menu items, so this way they will all be gathered in a single location. Nice to stay roughly consistent with how the other plex clients organize things :)
The reason why they are all included (for now), is that Channels is very untested, and I didn't want to remove access to the items. Once we get reports back that it's working as expected, we will probably get rid of pictures, videos, music, etc.

Oh, and about the plexflix stuff. I have no idea what could be causing that. If you keep your current pms and downgrade to 0.6.7 on the atv it works as expected? Just want to be sure it's not a pms thing ;)
Just another plex user

#5 Wormhole

Wormhole

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

i will check the downgrade tonight and report back...that said, given that when using a plexflix file through the plex player works fine, could it still be the PMS? BTW, same thing happens in KLEXi and the Plex iOS apps...

#6 ccjensen

ccjensen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

so you are seeing the same problem when using KLEXi and the Plex iOS apps? If that is the case, then it's a PMS issue. The reason why you might see it in those clients and not in the mac client, is that the PMS does not need to transcode the video to show it in the mac client, so it sounds like it's the transcoding that is throwing off the sync. If you can, test with an old PMS, and if that fixes the issue you should probably file a bug with the PMS.
Just another plex user

#7 afroken

afroken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Grid view doesn't work for me. I just get a 'loading movies' message. Same for TV Shows. List view works fine though and I like the new filter feature.

#8 Shoesy

Shoesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

i will check the downgrade tonight and report back...that said, given that when using a plexflix file through the plex player works fine, could it still be the PMS? BTW, same thing happens in KLEXi and the Plex iOS apps...

Same thing with iPlayer / 4od over here, audio not quite sinking up right.

Fast work with this release guys nice work!- some of my notes...
Like the new filtering placement, much better solution there.
The image parade effect is lovely for folders, but it would be nice if the images in the parade were all the same (top level of iplayer plugin for example) the effect would not kick in, just having a static image.

Cant wait for some of the personalisation options coming up - thanks guys.
Check out the print blog... www.tailormadeinvites.co.uk
Or if you need a Virtual address in the UK let me know!

#9 brent112

brent112

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

Awesome. I will give it a whirl on a couple of my ATV's.

#10 ccjensen

ccjensen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Grid view doesn't work for me. I just get a 'loading movies' message. Same for TV Shows. List view works fine though and I like the new filter feature.

thanks! Got this one now identified. At least you were stuck with a screen with a spinny thing rather than just an empty screen :) The spinny screen has been added in the hopes in the future that we can show that while some of the "heavier" views load. When I fix this bug, it will no longer be visible because the code loading in the grid/shelf views are using the main thread (the one that also takes care of the UI), and since it is busy doing "our" work it cannot do anything else (like animate a spinner).
Just another plex user

#11 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2116 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hey, just been trying it out quickly. I'm finding that when trying to access any Channels, either on my Windows or OSX server, it's simply restarting. I cleared my settings file but still no luck. Is anyone else seeing this?
Plugins: SkyGo, LoveFilm-Player, Crackle, Blinkbox, Stuff.tv, 5by5, RWC2011, FXUK, Jerry Seinfeld, VideoJug, SoundCloud, Ziln
Rewitten: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Pitchfork.TV, National Geographic
Blog: Plex Plugin DevBlog

#12 ccjensen

ccjensen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

anything useful in the atv syslog? It works fine on my end...
Just another plex user

#13 brent112

brent112

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

Might just be a bug in the verbiage on quality settings, it still says 10mbps for "Best" wasnt this changed to 8mbps?

#14 Wormhole

Wormhole

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hey, just been trying it out quickly. I'm finding that when trying to access any Channels, either on my Windows or OSX server, it's simply restarting. I cleared my settings file but still no luck. Is anyone else seeing this?

+1. Also, none of the video plugins work under 'video'...i get the 'error loading content' error irrespective of which plugin i select...

#15 brent112

brent112

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

I also noticed that the client is now requesting a quality of "11", what bitrate does that correlate too? I looked through my logs and it was requesting a quality of "10" before.

#16 littleharold

littleharold

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:10 AM

Looks great. Run fines. Not many bugs that I can see aside from the Grid view not working. Like the new view in the list view that is like the itunes view. filtering is beautiful too. Don't have to click through so many screens to get to my shows. The posters load kinda slow though. Happy that my resume is working on my mp4 videos as well as all playing fine as I was having with 7 RC1 and RC2. Any plans for TV themes? :) Sure hope so. Thanks for all the hard work guys. It truly is an amazing program.

#17 whodean

whodean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Yeah, this is looking and working well, good job devs.

#18 dhy8386

dhy8386

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

Same thing here. Tried 6 different channels.

Where do i find the syslog again?

EDIT: Ok found it. Here is the syslog and you can see right after i click on Pokerstars.TV it crashed. Here are the relevant lines. Crash report also attached.

Apr 25 22:39:25 Apple-TV AppleTV[9427]: [PLEX ATV] -[PlexChannelsController previewControlForItem:] [Line 141] media object: MediaObject (Directory): Pandora 
Apr 25 22:39:26 Apple-TV AppleTV[9427]: [PLEX ATV] -[PlexChannelsController previewControlForItem:] [Line 141] media object: MediaObject (Directory): PokerStars.tv 
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV AppleTV[9427]: -[HWPlexDir initWithRootContainer:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1f21e6c0
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV ReportCrash[9441]: Formulating crash report for process AppleTV[9427]
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV ReportCrash[9441]: libMobileGestalt loadBasebandMobileEquipmentInfo: Could not establish connection to commcenter
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV ReportCrash[9441]: libMobileGestalt copyInternationalMobileEquipmentIdentity: Could not get mobile equipment info dictionary
Apr 25 22:39:30: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.frontrow[9427]): (com.apple.frontrow) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error: 10
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: MS:Notice: Installing: com.apple.lowtide [AppleTV] (550.58)
Apr 25 22:39:30 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/EventCatcher.dylib
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV com.apple.frontrow[9442]: MS:Warning: message not found [BRTabControlItem setLabelIdentifier:]
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/Exposed.dylib
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: Exposed -> version 0.5 loaded
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/beigelist.dylib
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: Loaded
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: _sApplianceWhiteList = 0000000000000000
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: existing whitelist: (null)
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV ReportCrash[9441]: Saved crashreport to /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/AppleTV_2011-04-25-223930_Apple-TV.plist using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 501 egid: 0
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: new whitelist: (
	    COMPUTERSAppliance,
	    INTERNETAppliance,
	    MOVAppliance,
	    PlexAppliance,
	    SETTINGSAppliance,
	    TVAppliance
	)
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/nitoGS.dylib
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: BRDisplayManager: Attempting to set display to default mode
Apr 25 22:39:31 Apple-TV AppleTV[9442]: BRDisplayManager: sorted modes to try: (
	    "<CADisplayMode 1280 x 720; pixelAspect 1>",
	    "<CADisplayMode 720 x 480; pixelAspect 1>",
	    "<CADisplayMode 640 x 480; pixelAspect 1>"
	)

Attached Files

#19 Unsoluble

Unsoluble

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

Oooo... The filtering tabs are all kinds of awesome. Really great.

I got a hangup on the "Loading TV Shows" spinny screen at first, but I had trashed my prefs so it was set to Grid view (which I don't normally use). Set it to List and it loaded the shows list instantly. Will try again later when my wife is done with using it, see if I can nail down something repeatable.

Huge thanks to the team for the continued innovation and dedication -- this is a truly top-notch project.

#20 ccjensen

ccjensen

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:40 AM

Same thing here. Tried 6 different channels.

thanks for the logs, got the bug reproduced and fixed. As there have been so many fundamental bugs, we will release a new beta pretty soon which will be bug fixes mostly.

@Unsoluble: thanks for the kind words. the hangup on loading tv shows is the same one as afroken, and we have it nailed :)

You guys are the best :) It truly helps a lot with all your testing and reports!
Just another plex user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users