While most of you were helping us weed out bugs in 0.7.1 (a huge thanks everyone who chipped in, couldn't have done it without you!), the plex atv elves were hard at work on the next and greatest version.
For those who would be willing to help out with testing, please install the beta release and report any bugs here or on lighthouse
* apt-get remove com.plex.client-plugin * apt-get update * apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin=0.0.8.0.RC2 * apt-get install org.tomcool.smframework=0.7.7-2 <<-- IMPORTANT! we'll fix this in final, but you'll have to do it
If you get this error when running the apt-get install command:
E: Version '0.0.8.0.RC2' for 'com.plex.client-plugin' was not found
then run this command first, before trying again:
echo "deb http://www.ambertation.de ./downloads/PLEX/" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plex.list
And should you decide to do so, you can always downgrade:
* apt-get remove com.plex.client-plugin * apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin
Although it can be a pain having to set things up again (especially for you that use remote machines), it is usually worth clearing out the preference file as it can sometimes cause trouble when we have added or modified the settings:
* rm /User/Library/Preferences/com.plex.client-plugin.plist
Changes worth mentioning
=========== RC2 ===========
- most channels should be working now (PLZ test this!)
- option in view settings to hide summary for unseen items (thx to TobiasHieta)
=========== RC1 ===========
- bunch of fixes
=========== BETA 5 ===========
- tv theme music reduced to 60% of volume
- quality settings are now correctly applied to the playback
- grid view prettified
- playback progress optimised to stop causing the video to stutter during bandwidth constrained playback
- harmony remote fix to enable use of play-button
- channel fixes
- remote servers now have covers as well
- + lots of other fixes
=========== BETA 4 ===========
- Preplay screen has received some much needed TLC, like flags (h264, aac, etc.) (more to come, so it's still not feature complete. We know the UI is a little weird for tv episodes).
- Settings have an updated look, and some new settings (highlight: more granulated control over playback quality). We highly recommend users of beta 4 to remove the old preferences file (instructions are above).
- Theme music no longer fades (sorry, it was a 'bag of hurt' and had to go)
- List tab defaults to unwatched, and the tab bar ui has been improved (fits better in with the list items)
- TV and Movie view selection split up (so possible to do grid+list, etc)
- Play-button in different views provide shortcuts to initiate playback
- Global search is now a speed deamon
- FIX: Direct-streaming works again
- FIX: When editing server's password, the text field would pre-fill with the username
- + a couple of secrets
=========== BETA 3 ===========
- EDIT: Brent112 found a crasher, which we have patched into beta3. If anyone had updated prior to this note, please update again. For everyone else, just perform the normal beta installation to get this fix + everything else in the changelog.
- Added a "pre-play" screen to list view. (Known issues: background shaded box with rounded corners looks a bit weird, bottom shelf is empty and says movies even when in tv shows, crashing when tapping left/right to initiate next/previous item). This is one of the most recent additions, and needs some more TLC, but would love some feedback and ideas.
- what audio track/subtitle to be used can be selected in the pre-play view
- Main menu Search. This is still a work in progress, and is not really usable for anything yet. I considered not including it, but thought you guys might want a peek into what it's going to work like.
- List views with tab bar are no longer "super wide"
- tab bar removed from places where it was doing nothing or didn't make sense (plugins and music sections)
- Fixed bug where two items (often an original and a remake) would have the same preview / it wouldn't update correctly
- fan art can be disabled
- List view title reflects contents
- Added theme music to both list and grid views (fades out)
- Coverart parade only for top level filters in list view
- Channel main menu item taken over for individual plugin categories
- Password text obfuscated upon entry (maybe also when viewed in the server details?)
=========== BETA 2 ===========
- Grid views should now load instead of being stuck at the loading screen
- Channel items should work (ie not crash the atv) [ticket #107]
- Default quality setting set to "Good" rather than "Low" (which no longer existed) (thanks jcoene)
- View style now defaults to List
- Temporary fix for the detailed metadata screen when tapping up to see the full summary (the text would overlap the actors, directors, etc). [ticket #109]
=========== BETA 1 ===========
- The method used to navigate the content has changed completely in preparation for future features such as user set views for different types of categories (grid for movies, list for tv shows, etc.)
- Settings can be locked with a passcode (credit to SMFramework for making this super easy)
- Descriptions of what information is being requested is sent to the iOS remote app when adding/editing a new machine
- New main menu logo
- Filtering menu skipped for list view due to addition of tab bar with items: <current filter>, <unwatched within current filter>, <other filters>
- "Parading" coverart in list view for any item that has subItems (like a tv show has seasons, seasons have episodes, filters have movies or tv shows, etc)
- Main menu Channels item is the equivalent to the iOS channels tab. It will eventually replace some of the other main menu items (pictures, music, etc), and will be a "one-stop shop" for all the plugins (as opposed to user created sections in the pms). (thanks to @cfriedberg for pointing out that channels were not discussed in the changelog).
Hope you enjoy, and we look forward to hearing back from you.
//ccjensen on behalf of team (quiqueck, b0bben & ccjensen)