• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jurassicjockey

jurassicjockey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

Just downloaded the Plex software for windows. I didn't see a WHS package, so I extracted the download and copied the .msi files to the WHS>software>add-ins folder. I cannot get the pms.msi to show up in the addins on the control panel. Tried multiple things such as renaming it, extracting it again, making sure that it wasn't blocked. No joy.
So then, against my better judgement, I tried running the install application through a remote desktop window. Installed okay, but I could not get into the PLEX software.
I uninstalled the software, and cleaned out the registry of any PLEX or PMS entries that actually seemed to be associated with the software.
For anybody who has installed this on WHS, what path did you follow.

Steve

ps. I did search but can't find any pertinent posts

#2 brent112

brent112

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

Just downloaded the Plex software for windows. I didn't see a WHS package, so I extracted the download and copied the .msi files to the WHS>software>add-ins folder. I cannot get the pms.msi to show up in the addins on the control panel. Tried multiple things such as renaming it, extracting it again, making sure that it wasn't blocked. No joy.
So then, against my better judgement, I tried running the install application through a remote desktop window. Installed okay, but I could not get into the PLEX software.
I uninstalled the software, and cleaned out the registry of any PLEX or PMS entries that actually seemed to be associated with the software.
For anybody who has installed this on WHS, what path did you follow.

Steve

ps. I did search but can't find any pertinent posts

The add-ins folder is only used to install plugins and Plex is not a WHS plugin. You need to do as you did above, which is to install through a remote desktop session. You will have to leave the server logged in. Then open up a Chrome or Firefox on another PC on the same network and browse to http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage (replace x.x.x.x with the IP of your WHS). This will bring up the Media Manager which is how you setup your media sources and do basic configuration.

I have it running on my WHS 2011 server just fine.

#3 jurassicjockey

jurassicjockey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

Awesome

Thanks

#4 spicoli0525

spicoli0525

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:18 AM

The add-ins folder is only used to install plugins and Plex is not a WHS plugin. You need to do as you did above, which is to install through a remote desktop session. You will have to leave the server logged in. Then open up a Chrome or Firefox on another PC on the same network and browse to http://x.x.x.x:32400/manage (replace x.x.x.x with the IP of your WHS). This will bring up the Media Manager which is how you setup your media sources and do basic configuration.

I have it running on my WHS 2011 server just fine.

I can't get plex to run on my WHS EX375 server. I installed the app via RDP, get an error when trying to run PLEX

#5 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

I can't get plex to run on my WHS EX375 server. I installed the app via RDP, get an error when trying to run PLEX

Whats the error, and what version of WHS?

#6 cga

cga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Do you need to have the server logged in all the time for Plex to work? or it is just for the configuration of Plex?

I would like to install it on my WHS HP 490

Thanks

#7 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

It needs to be logged in all the time setting up auto login is very easy

This is for XP but its the same for Server 2003 just looks diffrent http://wiki.ljackson..._Userpasswords2

#8 cga

cga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

I can't follow the automatically login steps on my WHS server because Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete" is disabled by default

Any other way of installing Plex as a service like Airvideo?

Thanks

#9 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

I can't follow the automatically login steps on my WHS server because Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete" is disabled by default

Any other way of installing Plex as a service like Airvideo?

Thanks

Yes you can. Just enable it hit apply then when you disable it you will be prompted for a user to auto sign in.

You can setup plex as a service but it will not work without anyone logged in due to a issue with the plex code

#10 rvs007

rvs007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Yes you can. Just enable it hit apply then when you disable it you will be prompted for a user to auto sign in.

You can setup plex as a service but it will not work without anyone logged in due to a issue with the plex code

The box for the ctrl-alt-delete is actually greyed out so you can't enable/disable the checkbox. I'm trying to do the same and I'm stuck at that spot just like cga.

#11 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

The box for the ctrl-alt-delete is actually greyed out so you can't enable/disable the checkbox. I'm trying to do the same and I'm stuck at that spot just like cga.

Sorry, the checkbox you need is renamed in Windows server 2003. use the checkbox circled
Attached File  Untitled.png   13.85KB   46 downloads

#12 cga

cga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have unticked this check box and it removed permissions from all my users. Some users got disappeared from my console users. I had to add permissions manually again.

Disabling user must enter a user name and ... still doesn't work for me

When I close the RDP to my server the video just stop playing

Does that mean the RDP have to be open all the time?

#13 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2885 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

cga:

A user does need to be logged in. An RDP connection is not, however, needed. In fact, because of RDP i/o device virtualization, playing some plugins that use Flash or Silverlight can get downright hairy. Having a user auto-login without RDP usage (for that user) is your best bet.

#14 rvs007

rvs007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

I've clear the checkbox for the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", and entered my administrator password when prompted. On the advanced screen, the option for "Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete" is greyed out so I can't edit it either way. So does this mean when the WHS is rebooted, it will automatically log in as administrator? How do I check without RDP into the WHS?

Thanks.

#15 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

You can either hook the WHS up to a monitor or you can install a program like Teamview or Logmein on the server

#16 rvs007

rvs007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

You can either hook the WHS up to a monitor or you can install a program like Teamview or Logmein on the server

Thanks. My HP MediaSmart EX495 doesn't have video out, so I guess the only way would be to use a Teamview/Logmein type of program. Or I guess, if I reboot the WHS and I am able to then play videos off the Plex media server, then does that mean the admin account is logged in and the media server is started?

#17 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Yup seeing if your clients see the server of it you type in http://<server IP>:32400/ into your computer browser you should know as well

Edit: if you are still having issues with the GUI way of making a user auto sign in you can always use the registry as well http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324737

#18 rvs007

rvs007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Thanks so much for the quick response. And one more question just so I can be sure I'm doing this right. I would use the Administrator account for the auto logon, or would I use one of the user accounts that's been set up in WHS?

#19 wutname1

wutname1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

You can use the Administrator account, I personally would create a account just for running Plex so that your server is not running a full rights admin account logged in all the time if you do that be sure to move your appdata over to the right account so you dont have to reconfigure anything in plex

#20 rvs007

rvs007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

You can use the Administrator account, I personally would create a account just for running Plex so that your server is not running a full rights admin account logged in all the time if you do that be sure to move your appdata over to the right account so you dont have to reconfigure anything in plex

Good idea, thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users